Roof Rack | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack

Did anyone out there buy one of those safari roof racks from the site sponcer 'Explorer Express'? I was pretty intested in it. It is only about $200 but I don't want to get it if it is a piece of crap. Anyone?

Campbell

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it is about roof racks, because we are talking about lights ON ROOF RACKS. Yea the backups would be on the roof rack. :) Any info would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok Ray, I will find out that information for you and let you know hopefully on Monday. I purchased a Carr light bar, looks MUCh sturdier then the one I bought before which was the "Carr Rota-Deluxe bar" which had a bit warning all over it... "not designed to hold more then 2 6x9 lights"... yeah right, LOL. Not sure if I'll be able to fit five lights on there but if not I can always add some more lights to the front somehow (welding custom tabs or something like that) I was also thinking of taking some of the smaller lights (like the 1400's) and mounting them to the side of the light bar, for light on the left and right hand side. We'll see... depends on if I can fit 5 on the light bar or not.

well my reasons may be different then others, but hey, if nothing else its cause you want to see a whole lot better at night without the need for flashlights, spotlights, dull headlights, etc. Although if nothing else its just mroe cool stuff to add to your vehicle, and the bragging rights that go along with it, LOL. "My lights are brighter than YOUR lights" :)

Cambbell/Cameron

Campbell,
I know a TV crew that uses the rack from Explorer Express for their equipment. They have a ladder as well and swear by the rack. They use it daily to carry stuff and also to stand on when shooting film.
Cameron,
Is that your white Explorer in the pictures? It looks awsome!
Rick

Rick,

Yes it is my Explorer and thank you. I'm trying to make it stand out among the millions of other Explorers on the road but in a way that looks good. I don't like equipment on my truck that looks like an after thought.

And if I may, Guerilla Biscuits, the more lights the better :cool: If you ever go off road at night, you'll be glad to have a few million candles lighting the way. And if installed correctly, they can look very cool also.

I have been off road only once in the dark and that was before I had off road lights. Never again. There are too many shadows. Scary as hell :eek:

Peace

Just ordered a Con-Ferr rack complete with Hi-Lift jack,axe and shovel, and 3 sets of light brackets. They didn't have a bracket for a Pull-Pal. Guess I'll have to figure something out. I'll post some pics when I install it.

Ray - we must've been thinking alike. I went to the store and got a Carr light bar a few days back thinking I'd put some lights on it, it'd be better then the stock bar, etc. Well I got to looking at it and I don't think that it is going to meet my lighting needs so I talked them into taking it back so I could order a Conferr roof rack, decided for now to just get the rack, a bunch of light mounts (9 to be exact) and take a look to see how hard it will be to fab up a hi-lift mount for it, it it looks too hard I'll just buy one of theres, but no sense paying $50 for one when you can get it for cheaper :). Now I'm really looking forward to Truckhaven, I won't be the only one with a ton of lights! Rick will also be putting on a set of PIAA's here shortly and doing a writeup about it, pretty cool stuff. As for the answers to your PIAA questions you asked earlier, I've got a message in to my guy and I'm waiting on his callback.

Hey Matt,
I will be making it to the Colorado Colors Run, so what say we plan a night run. Also Advance Adaptors told me today that my transfercase will be ready in 2 weeks, not 6 to 8 like they said before, so that will be in by the Colo run too. Now let's hope that Trailmaster gets their stuff together and I will be there with 35's and all. :D
Yes, :DGreat minds think alike:D

Allright! can't hardly wait. ididn't realize you weer planning on coming out to the Colors run. If nothing else it'll be a cool photo to send back to PIAA, a couple of Explorers decked out in PIAA gear. I'll see if I can get you a t-shirt or something :).

Ray - I now have answers to all of your PIAA questions :).
For spread, I was informed that the 1400 clear is going to be the best backup light. He said they do also make a 40 backup light but it only comes as one, not as two, so if you want a set you could either go with the 40 fogs or the 1400 clear fogs. The lights I have (the 1500 reverse clear fogs) have been discontinued so you can't get those anymore. As for telling the difference between the driving and the fog - they use the same bulb, both are amber, the fog has fluted lines throughout the bulb whereas the driving version has only a few lines in the center for fluting. I think that answers your questions, if not let me know.

Back