Roof rack options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack options?

My 1996 sport doesn't have a roof rack and that is something I would like to get for it.

The roof racks I really like are on Nissan Xterras, the aluminun tube style.

Does anyone have some good websites with explorer roof rack options.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the look of the Xterra type one too. Go to http://www.carparts.com Look under accessories, then scroll down to exterior accessories. There are 4 pages of different items to view. Plus free shipping and you might be able to use a 1/3 off coupon #1836008 or #1868008. Hope you find what your looking for.
:exp: BTW, I'm not giving you advise to buy from them, just a place to look up what your looking for. I've never bought anything from them, so I'm not sure of their service/shipping time. :redexp:

Yakima and Thule both have good rack systems...I use Yakima (so do Ford & Nissan...they both use Yakima products).

[Edited by FlyAU on 07-16-2000 at 09:14 PM]

Racks

I'll second FlyAu's comment on Yakima -Dead Link Removed.
I just got mine on and it's pretty sweet. The fairing is a must, not only for aesthetics but noise/drag reduction.
It all adds up quickly, depending on what you're doing with it though. Definitely a nicer look than the factory rack which is solid, but the horizontals don't do much for ya due to their shape.

Roof Racks

I have a question...

When I first bought my explorer, it didn't have roof racks either, and I was so gung ho that I ordered some from JC Whitney. When they came and we dry fitted them, the size was off a little...no biggie we said..(the width was off)..we shortened them just a tad and installed them. Well, guess what...? It doesn't look so great. Looks like a big purple purse w/ a handle! I want to replace them, but the holes now exist. What to do about that? Looking for suggestions. Don't want a roof leak!

Since the size was off we never bothered to put on the strips that go between the racks. We thought of filling the holes and strategically placing the strips over the holes to prevent leaks...but that seems kinda cheesy to me. What can I do aside from PAYING for a good job?

Without actually going through the expense of getting them filled by a body shop. The only thing that comes to mind is using silicon. You can get a tube of it rather inexpensively. Just squirt a littlein the hole and leave enough on the top to swirl around to completely cover the area around the hole.
..nother idea,...if you can find rubber plugs, you could stick those in there...
OK, and I'm spent!.......(Austin Powers)
Hope this helps..

Safari Roof Rack

I Just ordered a Sarari Roof Rack with adapters, spare tire mount and a Hi-Lift mount fo $360.00. Has anyone out there had this rack if so is it worth it or should I stop the order?

From an ole boat owner:

Use 'blind' pop rivets to seal the holes on the roof. They'll be virtually flush on the roof, and penetrate maybe 1/4 below the metal, still inside the headliner.

Enjoy!

I saw a stock roof rack off a 98 on Ebay...searchg under ford explorer and it should come up unless it expired alreeady

Re: Safari Roof Rack

Originally posted by Dennis Myers
I Just ordered a Sarari Roof Rack with adapters, spare tire mount and a Hi-Lift mount fo $360.00. Has anyone out there had this rack if so is it worth it or should I stop the order?

side2.jpg

You tell me if it's worth it. I think so. Although, I ordered my Safari rack, mounting brackets, spare tire carrier and a pair of light brackets for about $265.00 including shipping from Performance Products.

[Edited by Cameron on 07-13-2000 at 04:59 AM]

Roof Rack

It looks real good on your truck. Now I can't wait to get mine.

New Roof Racks

Hey! I like that safari rack! Maybe I will save up one more paycheck and go for the gusto! Thanks Goober & roadkill for the suggestions...I was afraid everyone was going to say NO! Don't do it! Pay the professional...wheew! what a relief. Hope it works..wish me luck...THanks

How does the safari rack mount?

Cameron, or others,
How does the safari rack mount? I was looking at one on carparts and it said it mounted to the existing luggage rack. Does it bolt to the luggage rack crossbars or is it attached to the two slide channels where the crossbars click in?
If it mounts to the two crossbars, I would not be confident with the strength. Those crossbars are kinda flimsy.
Any input would be appreciated...

You have to order the brackets with the rack. You're going to remove your stock cross brace. The brackets attach to the new cross brace and the rack then mounts to the braces. The whole thing is very strong. I heard it supports over 10,000 pounds! Just kidding. Seeing if you're paying attention.

It should take you less then 2 hours to assemble and mount the rack.

Remember the mfg. and roof rack vendor recomendations: the load cannot exceed the rating of the factory rack rails, which I believe is 100lbs.

I don't want it in black

Cameron that rack looks great on your truck.
I've been looking for a rack just like that but I want it in chrome or aluminmum. Does anybody know if there is such a thing or think that maybe these can be painted to match all of my chrome trimings. My rims and nerf bars are Chrome so I would love to get a rack that matches these.
Any ideas guys???????????????

Thanks,
RObert

Sure, If it's steel, bring it to a chrome shop and they should do it for a reasonable fee. Don't kow where to go? Ask your local body shop, cause they send things out for chrome on cars.

Alloy, like alum., have it clear anodized. Won't be shiney like chrome, but it can be almost as bright like diamond plate! They might even have a chrome type process.

I have never seen chrome Safari racks. I have seen aluminum racks but they tend to be expensive (at least the ones I have seen). You may want to consider having your rack chrome plated. I don't know how much that'll cost (can't be cheep). Or, you can paint it yourself. Not sure how that would look though. Look around. You might get lucky.

Good luck.

100# rating is for weight evenly distributed on the rack as a whole...

The weakest link of the factory rack system is the crossmembers. It's too bad because Ford coulda made them alot more rigid (useful) if the span material was more rounded and less streamlined.
I'm hoping a safari (is that a brand?) rack, or similar, omits the factory crossmembers and mounts directly to the factory rack rail.
If this is the case and the mounts are adequate in number and width where they bolt up to the rack rails, the load rating would be MUCH MORE than 100 pounds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use yakama mounts and crossbars, they're beefy. The load rating is the roof of the vehicle, not the rack. Read the mfg specs with the rack, and they recommend not exceeding the load limit, including the wt. of the rack itself added in.

Back