Should I or Shouldn't I? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I or Shouldn't I?

jrguzmanr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer 4.0
I apologize beforehand because this is going to be long-winded.....

I purchased a few weeks ago a 2004 explorer from a Ford dealer and decided to replace all the fluids and noticed that that the transmission is shiny, so it has been replaced. I also noticed that the fill plug part was stripped so I got a new drain plug replaced it quickly and then thinking, well, I lost some ATF, let me put some back in. When I removed the new fill plug, I was surprised to have a stready stream (it has a nce red color too). Now, I'm a little nervous on how much did the shop that replaced the trans know, so here's my question, did I have too much ATF? Should I drop the pan and still install the filter I had bought before? Should I continue draining and refilling for about 12 qts? (I would do this weekly) to get my Mercon V in there and the "old" ATF out?

thanks

There is a fill tube and a torx bolt to fill but make sure its warm or it Will appear overfilled.
If you took out the bolt then the pan is basically drained already...

Edit attempting to change fluid like stated Will never really flush it....maybe with twice the needed fluids...
I'd pay the 139 to have it done with a pumping machine to ensure a full flush...

I'm not sure how it's done on the Explorer but on my VW, you fill it until it starts pouring out, then you start the car and let it run and fill it again until it starts pouring out. This gets fluid through the pump and everything in the transmission. So when you pull the plug with the car not running this is why fluid pours out of the transmission. I'd imagine other transmissions work similarly.

Back