Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by jrguzmanr, March 24, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jrguzmanr

jrguzmanr New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 explorer 4.0
    I apologize beforehand because this is going to be long-winded.....

I purchased a few weeks ago a 2004 explorer from a Ford dealer and decided to replace all the fluids and noticed that that the transmission is shiny, so it has been replaced. I also noticed that the fill plug part was stripped so I got a new drain plug replaced it quickly and then thinking, well, I lost some ATF, let me put some back in. When I removed the new fill plug, I was surprised to have a stready stream (it has a nce red color too). Now, I'm a little nervous on how much did the shop that replaced the trans know, so here's my question, did I have too much ATF? Should I drop the pan and still install the filter I had bought before? Should I continue draining and refilling for about 12 qts? (I would do this weekly) to get my Mercon V in there and the "old" ATF out?

thanks

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Wills05xlt4x4

Wills05xlt4x4 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ashland Va
    2005 Xlt 4x4
    There is a fill tube and a torx bolt to fill but make sure its warm or it Will appear overfilled.
    If you took out the bolt then the pan is basically drained already...

Edit attempting to change fluid like stated Will never really flush it....maybe with twice the needed fluids...
    I'd pay the 139 to have it done with a pumping machine to ensure a full flush...

4. Hdale85

Hdale85 Member

City, State:
    NE Ohio
    2002 Ford Explorer XLT
    I'm not sure how it's done on the Explorer but on my VW, you fill it until it starts pouring out, then you start the car and let it run and fill it again until it starts pouring out. This gets fluid through the pump and everything in the transmission. So when you pull the plug with the car not running this is why fluid pours out of the transmission. I'd imagine other transmissions work similarly.