• Register Today It's free!

Someone stole my explorer!

diannimal

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Well, I am totally depressed about this. I fixed up my son's explorer. He's in the Peace CORPS. If you recall, I needed a new alternator, and had one put in a a local garage. It still wasn't running right, so I took it back. I called a day later to ask about it, as I had no phone call saying it was fixed. I was told it would be left outside, keys under the mat for me, and that they had cameras, so it was "safe". Well, when I went to pick it up , it was gone. This was not a showboat car, just the car my son used to take to the beach, had lots of stickers on it, etc. I filed a report, but I suppose I will never see it again. I know I am sentimental about it....but the explorer is all tied up in feelings about my son. And I want whoever stole it to be caught! As it is the fourth of july weekend, the garage manager is nowhere to be found, so precious time is already lost. anyone had a similar experience?
:(
diannimal ...i feel like i lost my best friend

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh man, that's got to be rough. I don't know what I would do if someone stole my baby. I'd have that shop managers a** for leaving the keys in it while it was unattended cameras or not. Thieves these days don't seem to care about cameras at all. I hope they find it in one piece, hopefully it was just some kids taking it for a joyride and they didn't hurt it to bad.

you might be able to sue the shop for the cost of the explorer. it was on their property, they shoudl be responsible for it i'd imagine. call your insurance company, explain the situation to them adn see what they say

Wow, that's really rough. I'm sorry to hear that. Keep us posted if you get it back.

Can you be sure it was left outside and stolen? Perhaps they decided to keep it inside after all?

The police usually have emergency contact numbers for business owners, and should be able to contact him.

I've never had a car stolen. But I can well imagine how you're feeling now. The Explorer I drive belonged to my brother, who died in a motorcycle accident. He had Ford custom build it for him after he'd saved for several years so that he could walk into the dealership and pay cash for it. It meant a lot to him and he meant a lot to me. To say I'd be angry and grief-stricken if it were stolen would be an understatement.

Hopefully Bisjoe's right and the garage owner came to his senses and locked it up somewhere.

sux bout the explorer keep us posted if u find it

Wow- I've always wondered when that would happen. I mean, I know it has, but first time I've heard of a "we'll leave the keys in the car..." personally go wrong. Evan worse that it was your son's truck- feelings make it worse. :(

Good luck- can't imagine there is a market for used Explorers right now, so it may be a joyride thing perhaps? Hope so...

I'll watch for it around Greensboro. Do you have a pic so I know a little better what to be looking for?

Explorer reappeared!

JUST WANT TO THANK ALL FOR THE GREAT SUPPORT I RECEIVED HERE. THIS MORNING AFTER WORK (NIGHT SHIFT NURSE) I HEADED STRAIGHT TO THE GARAGE. LOW AND BEHOLD THE EXPLORER HAD REAPPEARED! Everything seems to be in order, more miles than when I had left it, but I am happy I have it back. I got there around 8:30 and they already knew that I had contacted the police. I am so HAPPY and want to thank you all for listening to me. Needless to say, I will be having my work done somewhere else from now on. I really was trying to accept the idea that I would never get it back, and it sickened me. Thank you all.
DIANNIMAL:):party:

P.S. The police had a phone number for the owners, but they never answered the phone, and the manager was nowhere to be found this morning when I went there. They told me that they had it locked up in back of the building, but we looked in the windows and never saw it, just a single empty bay, the others were occupied. I also left a message for the manager, but he never even bothered to call me back. I hope I never see him again. I have learned from this experience!
Diannimal

congrads on getting it back did u guys find who stole it in the first place

No, it just reappeared

No, it just reappeared. The serviceman said it was there all weekend,but we looked in all the windows and didn't see it. , so even though I was told they would leave it outside for me to pick up, and it was not there, I cannot prove that it was used without my authorization. I am VERY glad to have it back, and tonight will be polishing up the hubcaps! I realize there are much worse things to have happen to one, but it really worked me over in the stress department. But I GOT IT BACK!:)

Back