• Register Today It's free!

something new....turbo Fiero?

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer 4x4
its been done 2 times according to the internet. and its going to be done a third time. 4g63 :burnout:
yupp. ive been lookin for something different to start on as a long term project. dont get me wrong. i mean i love my ford, but its my DD and im happy with all i have on it now. its gotten me out of ALMOST anything ive done, and then gotten some others out as well. and im keeping her for awhile longer, but i need something to occupy my time and take my time with. when i have time for my X (if i have time) i never get any more then 2 days. so ive read up and driven a few and im getting started on a 86-89 Fiero GT.

my inspiration are those oh too familiar italian supercars.
its gonna take lots of fiberglass, bondo, and styrofoam. :D

now for a power plant, most people swap northstar caddy V8s...or LS4s or even carbed chevy 350s...but i want more power with a smaller motor...thats why i got ahold of this:
DSC04434.jpg

DSC04436.jpg

DSC04437.jpg

!NOT KEEPING A TORQUE CONVERTER!
its a 6 bolt DOHC 2.0 turbo out of a '92 eclipse aka...a 4g63
now before the bashing starts lemme say these motors are capable of some SERIOUS power. and i know a guy (related to me) who squeezes some monster power out of these little 4 bangers.
we are talkin launches at 8500 RPM with 32 lbs of boost on a street drivable car with full interior, A/C and sound system. :cool::burnout:
this is what these little guys are capable of...enjoy :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNzbcEXudE
but for now i have my eyes set on motor that should bring 375 hp or so with about 18 to 20 lbs of boost. and i now the guy who can build it (for the family discount price!) FFWD Connections
what it should look like with some time and money:
jwoodLB.jpg

and also what im aiming for...except maybe a different more modern supercar bumper.
fieroprogres300.jpg

if anyone has some tips or suggestions then feel free to make a post!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now for something completely different:D

fierotrike.jpg

i have a 1984 Fiero in somewhat great shape, almost mint except for the paint,,

these are fun little cars.
i hope you are doing an auto trans as the shifter is not fun to fool with in these things, it uses 2 cables and can be a pita,,,

Now for something completely different:D
ya know Rick...for some reason i just dont think thats my style...;)
i have a 1984 Fiero in somewhat great shape, almost mint except for the paint,,

these are fun little cars.
i hope you are doing an auto trans as the shifter is not fun to fool with in these things, it uses 2 cables and can be a pita,,,

i know, ive seen the cables and i agree it doesnt look fun. then again neither does sorting out a whole ECU and the wiring harness and trying to determine what i do and dont need.
but none the less im going manual. im using the trans out of a fwd 5 speed eclipse, galant, or talon. those are a dime a dozon....but my plan is to cut out the shifter assembly of a mitsu and "paste" it into the fiero. with a few mods.

how is that going to work as most of them use rods to shift?

since im using a DSM trans and a DSM shift assembly then itll be cables, thats how they come from the factory

I had a college buddy with a with the supercharged 3.8 out of a Pontiac GTP in and '86. When it was running on all 6 cylinders it was stupid fast. Looked like cr*p, but very very quick. That pullied 3.8 sitting 1 foot fron your head sounded amazing.

I think Blane ended up putting 3 engines in that car before calling it quits thou... Overheaded one, over-rev'd one, i have no idea the end result of that dastardly fiero

What about doing a worked Quad4? Seriously. They are/were capable of incredible amounts of power for their size, even just NA, With a turbo, you could launch that thing to the moon. I realize they had a bad reputation, but a lot of that was people w/ poor maintenance habits on what was essentially a race motor, detuned for street use. With proper maintenance and cooling, they can be reliable. Also, you can mix and match parts w/ the later 2.4L motors, for different compression ratios/ port size/etc... They were basically the same motor, but GM dropped the Quad4 name due to the bad reputation.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/oldsmobile_quad_4_combining_parts/index.html

http://quad4rods.com/

http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/forums.php?

I always wanted to build a Fiero with a seriously built Quad4. Yeah the 3800 w/ a blower is cool, but the Fiero is so small, I though a lighter smaller 4cyl would be better.

I always wanted to build a Fiero with a seriously built Quad4. Yeah the 3800 w/ a blower is cool, but the Fiero is so small, I though a lighter smaller 4cyl would be better.

i totally agree. which is why im trying to be different. im only using this motor because i can get all the parts i need for free or super cheap, and i have instant tech help when i need it.

:sigh:
still no fiero yet. got a hold of a few guys and nobody seems to have a clean title...:mad: got the motor stripped down and cleaned up. if i cant find a fiero in the next week or so ill send the block out to be machined. im only going 30 over on the bore, nothing too crazy...updates to come when they happen
forgot to add these if anyone is interested
DSC04440.jpg

DSC04441.jpg

DSC04443.jpg

on a positive note i decided to go out to the salvage yard the other day. and i have yet to come home empty handed! ...its more of a problem i have...
but i found a DOHC 4g63 head and valve cover for 70 bucks. i also found the stock turbo which i didnt buy...way too small for where im going...
DSC04544.jpg

i broke the exhaust cam gear off... it kinda broke off when i was pulling it out of the car...but it doesnt matter, i wont be using those gears anyway. or the cams for that matter....
DSC04545.jpg

im just that much closer now! :)

got back from half price day at the salvage! ha! spent a total of 20 bucks on some goodies...
IMG00039-20101230-1957.jpg

got an undamaged coolant pipe, better looking 1g valve cover (the 2g i had was a rough casting and they look like trash when they are powder coated) and a thermostat housing with various sensors.
IMG00048-20101231-1816.jpg

next is the DSM shifter i got. just your regular 5 speed. but ill need this since im using a DSM trans.
and i also got a knock sensor (not pictured...)

not much of an update.

block is going out for machine work soon and ill have new pistons in soon.

however...still lookin for a fiero...ive lowered my standards to ANY fiero 84-87.
the 88s were actually the "better" ones but that also means parts cost alot more, and all fiero's 84-87 have interchangeable parts. 88s do not.

Eddie, how about a couple pics of that sweet gold Stingray? Is it yours?

:D
its about time someone asked for some pics!
well...its my dads. but i drive it more then he does... it was his college graduation present. he is the second owner.
its a 1972 stringray corvette (last year they had front and rear chrome bumpers)
its all original and unrestored, its got 47,000 miles on it. just your basic 350 chevy engine.
ive got a few of me washing it in the garage last year, it was cold outside!
lets see here.....

here are some shots of my girlfriend and i washing it last year.
vette1.jpg

vett2.jpg

vette3.jpg

dad might not know it....but the tires break loose really fast...:D:p:
vette4.jpg

oh I'll bet he knows.

Neat build, should be a rocketship when you are done.

Thanks! That's the best gen of Corvettes, IMO.

oh I'll bet he knows.

Neat build, should be a rocketship when you are done.

it better be a rocketship! hahahah im aiming for nothing less...
with the amount of money i have to spend on the engine, ive been told i should easily make 300 hp to the wheels.

HP to weight ratio is thru the roof!

Thanks! That's the best gen of Corvettes, IMO.

it really is, the chrome bumpers and trim really made them stand out. past that its all rubber and fibreglass...looks like trash

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is a cool build! I'll be watching this one

I don't mean to hijack, but I have a question: I'm in the market for an economical vehicle to save on gas. I think fieros are awesome little cars! Would a fiero be a good economical daily driver? I'm thinking an 86-87 fuel injected 4cyl 5speed. I've found some running/driving cars going for $1000-2000.

or should I just get a honda :rolleyes: :fart:

Back