Speaker swap finished, more questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speaker swap finished, more questions.

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Ok so I swapped out all of my speakers out with some pretty sweet Kenwoods, and it sounds WAY better. But even though I had premium speakers, I had no amp in either rear panel. Does that mean I can just get a new Headunit and adapter and I'm good to go? Its a bit weird that my stock radio has the Dolby logo on the deck door, and all my speakers are premium yet no amp to be found.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By rear panel are you talking of rear door panels? Or in the cargo area panels?

I know the amp in the rear panels doesnt' look like a traditional amp, but it's on the right side between the seat and area with the little storage space with the net in it. It's just a box with wires running into it.

As for swapping out your head unit, I still use the stock amp with an aftermarket Sony headunit. It was installed when I bought the truck, but when I removed it to install RCA lines and my ipod in-line FM transmitter, I discovered that they had wired the harness so you had the harness coming out of the head unit, and into two plugs (speakers harness and then power/remote harness). Looked quite easy.

What I'm trying to say is, even though my speakers say premium, theres NO amp.

Heres an example from somone elses truck:

02med_factory_amp.jpg

The amp should be right there...if I had one.

That IS the amp. I had the exact same one. I upgraded to to 4 door version that includes two amps and a 6" sub. The sub was blown so now I got the speaker wires for the sub hooked to my 10" Xplod sub in a seprate box. For 85 watts it bumps pretty nice. I like the JBL 4 channel amp. All that is hooked to my Xplod head unit and matching Xplod 4x6's. So to answer your question yes that shiney silver box that you took a picture of is the factory amp. Toss it and at least go get a junk yard JBL set.

umm reread the post "Heres an example from somone elses truck"

Thats not my truck, I was using it as an example. I DONT have an amp.

Ok so I swapped out all of my speakers out with some pretty sweet Kenwoods, and it sounds WAY better. But even though I had premium speakers, I had no amp in either rear panel. Does that mean I can just get a new Headunit and adapter and I'm good to go? Its a bit weird that my stock radio has the Dolby logo on the deck door, and all my speakers are premium yet no amp to be found.

i all ways run new wire but if you have no amp then you can just hook a new deck up.do you have an ohm meter?if so take and twist the two wire together at the speaker and take a reading at the deck and see if there is anything in that line.

I had a similar problem like this , only my amp was there , but the wires were not plugged into it because , well , there was physically no where to plug em in. lol , weird factory radios.

The connectors matter most. Check what the factory harness looks like and be sure to get the right one. If it's the standard radio, it should just use the common Ford non-premium adapter.

It's the "DNR" on the tape door that usually tells the premium JBL system apart from the standard, although plenty of Sport models actually came with the Premium DNR tape deck and the amp for the speakers, but no subwoofer or sub amp. It's not possible to have a premium radio work without the amp, though, since the unit itself has none.

If you just want to power the speakers with the head unit, just get the adapters and plug it in. You can run new speaker wire if you want to get the most out of your head unit's amp, but even the dinky stock wires are fine for most units that put out 18-25W RMS.

The system with the duel amps, can we wire in a aux-in line straight to the amp for the speakers? I wired in a free pioneer deck a friend gave me with no inputs.

My system has been a fun one, man did ford screw this one up! it's a nice sounding system when it all works.

Back