Sport97's sport | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport97's sport

Post updated:

My name is Vince, I live south of Pittsburgh, Pa. I bought my explorer after i graduated high school(july 08) with 50k for 3500

The Ex:
97 explorer sport, SOHC/auto, leather, moon roof, + mods...

The x: It had 50k miles on it when i got it, and had only minimal rust. Since then the rust has been fixed, and I'm over 100k. Maintenance has been typical with plugs/wires, fuel filter, all 4 ball joints and a thermostat. Running Mobil 1 syn has seemed to quiet the timing chain rattle. Its totally quiet in the summer, and slightly louder in the cold weather.

DSCF8221.jpg

flex2.jpg

CURRENT STATE: 12/2011 @101k

-front skid plate
-removed front valance
-relocated front fog lights
-clear corners
-safari bar/lights (victim of rust and off roading)
-bed liner on a few things
-8" sub w/ amp
-4 pioneer speakers
-air box mod
-new rockers w/o rust:)
-cobra CB w/ 2 3ft wilson whips on the back
-Firestone At's , 265/75/16
-TT
-4 door leaf pack/aal/shackles

Near future:

-f150 tow hooks

Future: 3" body lift, 285/75 M/Ts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked out RockAuto?

Good call, thanks Keeper. I usually check there for parts, but i guess it slipped my mind for the hardware stuff. If the bolts are the same for the front of the leaf, and the shackle(which the parts guy at ford led me to believe) it is 40 bucks shipped. Time to hunt for a discount code for when I order. Too bad they don't have poly bushing end links.

On rock auto I could buy 1 rear shackle that includes the shackle, the bolts, the nuts and the bushings for that side for 10 bucks cheaper than just the 2 bolts and nuts at the dealer:eek:

edit: found the code. Not sure if I'm ordering them now. I may order them closer to when I do it, as funds are tight.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'm headed out into the cold in a little bit, I have a kerosene heater trying to warm the garage. Hopefully it will get 40 degrees in there haha. I am going to work on the brakes, they are getting worse. If I can't figure it out, I may have to take it in to my mechanic tomorrow. I feel like I can no longer stop fast enough in an emergency situation, my brakes hit the floor when I try.

Can't seem to win. I found no leaks at the fittings, or the master cylinder. Its too damn cold to take the wheels off and check the calibers. My dad and I are going to bleed the brakes this weekend. I also found the lower ball joint rubber is all bunched up and deflated looking. All the ball joints were professionally replaced last winter, not too pleased with that. My rocker is showing wear already. The rust inhibitor flaked in spots, as well as the bedliner.

Seems like owning a vehicle in the rust belt is a nightmare. Good luck with the brakes this weekend. Took me around twenty minutes to bleed mine out.

Yes, rock salt destroys. It eats everything.
This is from a week of driving in southwestern PA, and I cleaned it twice last week:

Attachments

• salt.jpg
    salt.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 504
  • salt2.jpg
    salt2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 472

Brake update:
Bled the brakes, got the nasty dirty fluid out, but very little air. I couldn't find any leaks or wet spots where a leak would be. Pedal is still softer than it should be. I think it could be the master cylinder. When I take it in for inspection I'll have them check it over. I also fixed the ball joint boot, it came off on the top and the grease oozed out, so hopefully I saved it.

Short update:
Replaced sway bar endlink and now it drives like a sports car compared to before haha.
Had the brakes checked over during inspection, only thing they could find was the rear caliber was sticking, so they greased the slides. The pedal is still soft. Maybe thats just was it is. Its softer than my parents cars thats for sure (98 bravada and a 00 chevy 2500). Oh well. I'm just gonna drive.

Question regarding stopping: When I tested my brakes I could stomp the brake down from 45 to a stop on a slick road and it never needed the ABS to kick it. I'm thinking that it isn't stopping very quickly if the abs didn't need to stop any potential skids.

My car does not like the cold. The body mounts creak when its cold out. It was 3 degrees the other morning and I was leaving for school and she turned over very slow, and made a screech when she started (belt). The tranny whines and makes noises anytime its in the single digits until it warms up.

Oh the joy of winter.

My explorers birthday present to me was a nice slip/shutter from the tranny at 55 in OD. Lovely. Fluid is a hair low, but still in the cross hatched area. I have some slip stop, maybe top off with that, or may just regular mercon V.

Not much to update besides a few minor setbacks. Finally got a warm day to hose the salt off to find 2 minor issues.

Apparently bed liner doesn't stick real good to bondo. Its holding up good on the rockers and doors, but the doglegs and bondo'd areas it is chipped off from road debris. That and a new driver's lower B.J is in store...again...The boot came off last month, and it was clunking, so i got it back on and re-greased it. It still clunked some but it was sealed up and greased, now its come off again and the grease oozed out. That lasted 1 year/13k miles. Maybe ill call the shop and complain.

Good luck with trying to win that over Vince since it's been a year since the replacement...

Good luck with trying to win that over Vince since it's been a year since the replacement...

Yeah, I'm not gonna call. I was just frustrated haha. I'd rather not piss of my mechanic, when i need something done that I can't do he does good work, and cheap.

Going to pick the Ex up from the shop. I had the transmission serviced including a filter change. I was told it was 110 plus tax. Thy just called, I swear the guy told me my total was 148 dollars. I'll see whats up when I get there.

The transmission service did smooth up the shifts a bit, especially 3-4 shift. Its like butter now. But Its still trying to play games with me.

Today I was doing 50mph on a flat 4 lane(I had finished accelerating), it was just hanging out in 3rd gear, then it wanted 4th, but immediately wanted 3rd again, but decided 4th was better...I then turned on the cruise and about 15 seconds later it realized overdrive was where it should be.

Not too happy. It needs to hold out for another 2 years. I cannot afford that repair.

Transmission aside for now. Nothing I can do but be gentle with her. Which so far has not worked, as I hit 95 making a pass. Some tool was doing 15 under, and as I passed he thought it would be cool to floor it. Some people.

Priced all the bolts and nuts for the leaf pack from tousley ford (vendor) and I was quoted 40 bucks, and 7 a pop for the bushings. That is a fair bit less than HALF of what my local dealer wants. Time to deposit $$ to get the ball rolling on that. And with the new rancho shock rebate, and out rock auto discount I can pick up 4 rs5000s for 130 smackers shipped (including mail in rebate). The deal is good though august so i have time on that. Pretty pumped about that deal.

Enough of my rambling. I need some real updates. Hopefully soon...

EDIT: I was under the ex today... They didn't change my transmission filter! The pan was definitely not removed. Not happy at all. What the hell did they do for it to cost 150 bucks. They said it was included. I'll be back there tomorrow to talk to the owner and see whats up with that.

Wheel bearing is shot to hell now. It sounds like the passenger side. I'll need to verify prior to buying a new one. The ex sounds like a fighter plane going down the road. Tora tora tora!.

Minor update: Wheel bearing fixed, no more roaring sound...even better yet is the clunk i have been chasing is gone. Either that or I'm nuts and haven't noticed. I didn't think a wheel bearing could cause a clunk.

Junkyard trip only yielded a piece of material for my console lid and parts for my mom and brother. I cut the back of a color matched leather seat out to recover my console lid. It wasn't until after I got home I realized the seat backs are not leather....they are vinyl:rolleyes:.

On a side note, it was very hard to cut into this seat for the material, the seat was so nice. My friend had to talk me into it. I felt so dirty after doing it. I think I need to go to confession hahah

Still need to check up on the bolts to make sure everything is still tight from the wheel hub replacement.

She is starting to show her age. She is 14 now. Rebellious teenager. Now that its getting warm the suspension is much more quiet. The body mounts all creak in the winter too. She also loves to make bizarre sounds. Pulling up to a stop sign the other day there was a reassuring loud pop from somewhere up front.

I suspect power steering issues in the future. It is starting to make a moan when i turning slowly into parking spots. I need to change that fluid out. I also have a weird shimmy in the steering wheel when I hit potholes. I need to give a check over on everything.
On a good note she runs good (besides a good timing chain rattle when cold:rolleyes:). I was running a little late this morning and ran the ex through the paces a little. But, with that being said, its 14 years old. My dad says I'm nuts and being too critical. Who knows.

Glad she's holding up mate, bugger about the seat back being vinyl. I wouldn't have thought that. Classic tora tora tora, hahaha. It's when you yell BANZAI that you really need to worry!:D:thumbsup:

Thanks Greg. Hopefully I wont be needing to yell that anytime soon! Although today I almost Kamikaze'd into the back of a chevy. Rain cuts down on the stopping distance, which is already quite poor haha

Back