Sport97's sport | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport97's sport

Post updated:

My name is Vince, I live south of Pittsburgh, Pa. I bought my explorer after i graduated high school(july 08) with 50k for 3500

The Ex:
97 explorer sport, SOHC/auto, leather, moon roof, + mods...

The x: It had 50k miles on it when i got it, and had only minimal rust. Since then the rust has been fixed, and I'm over 100k. Maintenance has been typical with plugs/wires, fuel filter, all 4 ball joints and a thermostat. Running Mobil 1 syn has seemed to quiet the timing chain rattle. Its totally quiet in the summer, and slightly louder in the cold weather.

DSCF8221.jpg

flex2.jpg

CURRENT STATE: 12/2011 @101k

-front skid plate
-removed front valance
-relocated front fog lights
-clear corners
-safari bar/lights (victim of rust and off roading)
-bed liner on a few things
-8" sub w/ amp
-4 pioneer speakers
-air box mod
-new rockers w/o rust:)
-cobra CB w/ 2 3ft wilson whips on the back
-Firestone At's , 265/75/16
-TT
-4 door leaf pack/aal/shackles

Near future:

-f150 tow hooks

Future: 3" body lift, 285/75 M/Ts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are some pics of the passenger side. I just need to throw the trim back on. I cant decide if the silver trim needs to be painted black as well. Its a little dirty in that one picture, sorry.

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 549
  • ex.jpg
    ex.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 546

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks Glen. I'm very pleased with it. This side only needed the dogleg. The other side is the hard one. Dogleg, and the inner and outer rocker. I'm starting that one Friday.

It only needs put back together. I would have finished it up today but I am starting to get sick so I figured it could wait.

I had thought i had convinced myself to stay with 31's for several reasons...until i found a set of 32x11.50 cooper ATs with 10/32s left on CL for 200 bucks....sooo tempting. The reasons I kinda want to stay with 31's are gas mileage, ride quality, extra stress on transmission, and the big doubt on how they will fit with only a TT and shackles...

Almost time to buy something for my ex. Every time I sell something on craigslist, or get some cash from the scrap yard or whatever I put it aside to buy something for the ex. I have 320 right now. I think its going towards 4 door leaf packs($100), AAL($40), shackles($70) and alignment from the TT($60). That leaves a little aside to save for something next time, probably a new set of cragar soft 8s, as I ended up selling my rims to go back to stock ones since I needed some treads this winter.

...the thought is bouncing around of a body lift and 33"s when it gets warm out....I'll need new tires anyway, so that would be the time to do it...time to get a job again and make some money.

Got some leaf packs. Hopefully wont be saggy. They were removed already, and only 35 a piece. I really didn't want to climb under a truck in the mud this time of year, and pay the 50 a piece the you pull it charges. They are from a 99 with 100k, and are in pretty nice shape.

Ill be ordering the AAL soon, and making or ordering shackles. I will need to get new bolts for the shackles and hanger, as well as to hold the leaf pack together when i put the AAL in. While I'm at it ill order new bolts for the torsion bars for the TT, as the drivers side bolt has trashed up threads.

Attachments

• springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 508

AAL should be here tomorrow or the day after. I have my leaf pack apart and ready for some rustoleum after I get home from my last class. I'll have to do it in the dark because I don't get home until 5:30.

I need some assistance on bolt sizes. I am getting all new hardware.

So far i have found:

-Frame bushings: F57Z 5A546 AA, Ill climb under and see if the bolts budge before I order them. If I use a torch they will be trashed.

-Center bolt for spring pack: 2 grade 8 machine bolts, 2.5" long x 3/8", hex head and nuts

-Longer bolts for the torsion bars: M12-1.75 x 100mm at fastenal: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0121852

-I cannot find what sizes to get for the from spring hanger, or the rear shackle. All I could find was that the shackle bolts were 14mm, no length given. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have a kind of nasty creak going on, on the drivers side. I figured it was the shock or the bushings or something. (just had upper and lower ball joints replaced on both sides 10 months ago) Now there is a clunking sound.

I hope its not a ball joint. My passenger side ball joint clunked like this is clunking now.... I think it may just be the trashed sway bar end link though...which still raises the question...whats creaking... Not looking forward to climbing under in the slush. I might was well shove some more grease in the ball joints and see what happens.

I have the leaf packs painted and looking new. I just need to go get the bolts to put the AAL into the leaf pack. Its been below freezing for the past 2 or 3 weeks here. I have had zero motivation to climb under the car to put the leaf packs in.

The ball joints are good. Its the drivers side sway bar end link which is totally trashed that is clunking. The bushings basically are no longer existent. I may go back out later today and sawzall it off. Both the driver and passenger sides need replaced again. I'm going to get the set with poly bushings, or make disconnects.

I sawed off my trashed end link, so the clunking is much less now. I need new end links and the bushings that hold the sway bar are shot too.

I need to get a job (stopping in at the ford dealer, word is they need parts counter help), because I need somethings done:
-trans service asap. Its only been 40k, and fluid looks good, but I have started hearing a whining sound between 37-41mph in 3rd while accelerating. 1st gear has always whined but never another gear.
-brake work, hopefully just bleeding (brakes feel a little soft, still stop, but i can hit the floor with the pedal)
-could also use new p/s fluid.

P.S,
I HATE SALT. Everything rusts. My safari bar that Turdle coated only lasted a year because of the western pa salting. I sanded it down in the summer and bedlined it, now its all bubbled already. Also my rear bumper is showing a spot again after being bedlined.

Recent shot:

2.jpg

The brake bleeding is a bit time consuming and repetitive but a pretty easy job as I found out today. Looking good sir!

Thank you.

Yeah, I was following your escapade in your registry today. I'll probably have my dad help me, he has done it may times. I doubt the fluid has ever been changed, looks pretty nasty.

Thank you.

Yeah, I was following your escapade in your registry today. I'll probably have my dad help me, he has done it may times. I doubt the fluid has ever been changed, looks pretty nasty.

It was a first for me, never worked on brakes before. I pretty much replaced all of the fluid with new brake fluid. Mine looked nearly black. Seems the old men have the a way of walking up to a project, taking a look and saying "So um...you're doing it wrong."

Checked with the dealership for the hardware for the leaf pack install:
The bolts were $9 and change and the nuts were $6 and change. I need 6 of each. Way too over priced. The guy told me to just measure them and go to a fastener place, it would be much cheaper. The U bolts were almost 30 a piece too:eek:. The frame bushings for the shackles were about 11 a piece.

Back