• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel swap?

CJL

Reaction score
City, State
M
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Is it possible to swap my steering wheel with a newer or a different (Ford)vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey that a good question that i would like to know too. The top of mine has gotten rela thin to the wire.

My only thought would be the air bag. If it would work properly. The newer air bags are more advanced.

It has to be from a truck to swap into a truck. The car center mounting holes are different.

It has to be from a truck to swap into a truck. The car center mounting holes are different.

Right-o. The car splines are a round hole with a flat spot for centering, and the truck splines are like a torx with a flat spot for centering. The airbag wiring would have to be changed though. I know there was a swap to a FR500 wheel on here somewhere.

Most of the standard 01-05 Sport Trac or 01-03 Explorer Sport steering wheels fit. They are easier to find and most are in better condition than the average 2nd Gen X's (95-01). These do not have radio type control switches on the steering wheel and the original airbag from your X fits without changing anything.Some of the newer Rangers also have the same type steering wheel also, but I'm not sure of the years.

I'm assuming you don't have the steering wheel radio controls on your X.

I know someone also did a rewire retrofit of the 01-05 ST/01-03 Sport airbag, which I like better for the 'grips' and the Ford logo...

I'd have to search for the airbag one, it was a while ago... Maybe it doesn't need rewiring as long as it's a second generation bag?

Maybe this helps if mic sees it...

I placed a '01 sport trac steering wheel on my 98 XLT. It was the darker gray (graphite) than what my lighter gray in my 98. To match the steering wheel darker gray, I painted the air bag to match. The airbag doesn't come into daily contact like the steering wheel, and it has not shown any signs of wear or rubbing off for over 4 years. You must be sure when you paint the airbag you don't get any over spray into the air bag itself that might effect deployment of the air bag.

Here is the FR500 wheel thread, too much work for the return for my tastes...

I personally don't recall seeing an rewiring of the latter Sport Trac airbag into an 2nd Gen. It would be an great update and the newer airbag and steering wheel has a better appearance and touch just like Joe stated. Perhaps someone here could take this on as a project. My guess is however most would be "gun sly" due to the airbag wiring must be exact. It could literally blow up in your face, or simply not deploy properly in an accident. My Sport Trac steering wheel has continued to hold up well and the painted airbag still looks great.

Back