• Register Today It's free!

stock hight and tire clearence

lycan91

Reaction score
City, State
Yreka CA population 7,500 just shy of oregon border
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
how tall of tires can i get with a stock hight 1st gen sploder. i was thinking maybe 32s but it depends my finaces and gas prices. im just curious for future reference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 32"x11" with a 3" BL and 2" susp lift, I had to do some minor fender trimming...
With stock you will probably fit 31"x10.5" depending of the condition the suspension is in. The explorers tend to sag after some years.
Please read: Dead Link Removed

yep 31x10.50's fir no problem, 32's could fit on my stock 91 exploder but they probably woudl rub.

yep 31x10.50's fir no problem
Not really. Depends on the X & the condition of the suspension as stated. I couldn't fit 31's with out rubbing on sharp turns. Yet I know some friends that were able to fit them. It's hit & miss.

ah ok, I know I have new coild up front from the previous owner and new stock leaf springs in the rear also from the previous owner..

hmmm i dont know what i will do i think i want bigger than the 235 75 15's i got on it and i NEED new tires bad.

Dont let small thing as that stop you. Problem is not that bigger tires dont fit. Problem is that you havent lifted your truck. Buy the tires that you drool over, then lift so that the rest fit the tires..;)

Peter Westling said:
Dont let small thing as that stop you. Problem is not that bigger tires dont fit. Problem is that you havent lifted your truck. Buy the tires that you drool over, then lift so that the rest fit the tires..;)
very good advice thank you i read your thread on your lift sweet truck

just keep in mind what your stock gearing is... unless your willing to swap gears or you already have a low enough set of gears that will limit u on what tire size u get. find out what your stock gearing is.

hiridin said:
just keep in mind what your stock gearing is... unless your willing to swap gears or you already have a low enough set of gears that will limit u on what tire size u get. find out what your stock gearing is.
will 265's need me to re-gear or no. cuz if yes ill buy smaller i just dont have the money to regear

who has a stock hight 1st gen with 265 75's. how did if affect your truck. input would be greatly appreaciated. :)
:burnout:

I have 32" and 3.73. I have not regeared, Have you checked you axle code?
What is the purpose of the vehicle, hardcore offroad, or just the look?

265/75/15 = 30.6"
I had 31" before and comparable to the stock it was not much difference..

i want to do more offroading this year and for look so mine is different where i live from the others besides it being in the best shape inside and out litteraly. where can i find my axle code?

I have 31x10.5x15 mounted on stock rims. Fit both my 94 explorers no prob.

I've got 31x10.5's on mine, they used to rub if turned really ahrd, but i got a 3 inch BL on it now so no more rubbing!

Does anyone know if its possible to fit a 34x12.50 under my 3 inch lifted 91?
I dont mind some trimming at all, im just curious if anyone has tried it b4?

the axel code should be on a sticker on your drivers side door after that do a search on the forums to find what you have

well i found a chart on ratios i have 3.55C gearing, so is this good bad or ugly? and is regearing a must or no it should work? thanks guys this gearing stuff is confusing for me, i want to learn more so i have that general knowlegde so i can help others and myself, (thats just who i am.) :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have 31"s with 3.27....luged abit going up long hills but not as terrible as some people make it out to be. Offroad it did ok, high range wasn't great but in low it did fine. I rode in an explorer all stock with 35" tires on it a few months ago at my last run, fitting the tire mainly depends on what you're willing to cut ;)

I do still have the explorer...reason for the past tense is because it's in the garage getting a d44/9" and 5.13 gears (will run 35" tires)

Back