The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread

I found something which should be very helpful for anyone swapping the Explorer 302 system into anything else.

Below is the 134th post from ttbit's thread I used a 99 motor/donor, not a 96. Maybe this will help explain things...(copied from another forum)
2001 rangers had one more operation that was performed in the PCM that the explorers had a separate module for; the conditioning of the VSS signal.
In the ranger, an OSS signal from the transmission was sent to the PCM, the PCM then in turn used this for determining shift points and broadcast a conditioned version to the cruise control, speedometer, ABS, etc.
In the explorer, the VSS signal from the rear axle is sent to the ABS module. The ABS module is then used to condition the signal and broadcast a the conditioned signal to the cruise control, speedometer, and PCM for determining shift points. One additional feature the explorer has is a “G-Force Transducer” that measures how hard you are breaking for the ABS.
Because we are using the PCM from the explorer, it will require a conditioned VSS, This requires using the explorer ABS module and “G-Force Transducer”.
Not using these components will not stop the vehicle from running, but the speedo/tach will not work and the transmission will be running in “limp mode” because shift point can’t be optimized based on vehicle speed. The lack of this signal also makes the engine throw a code and the check engine light comes on.
I'm quite sure the tracs are the same way...[/QUOTE]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This will affect every swap differently based on what the vehicle is that the engine is going into.

It looks like the Sport Trac has two big problems for the swap(besides the commonly known fuel system items).

First the 98-01 computers expect a VSS signal which is conditioned from going through an Explorer ABS pump, that is different from how the VSS signal comes in the Sport Trac. I think the ideal way to solve the problem is to use a 96/97 Explorer 302 PCM. Those take the VSS directly from the transmission, and it is shared with the speedometer.

The second issue is the transducer, which evidently is not used in the Sport Trac, or most later cars. It seems that Ford did some odd things there in the late 90's, and that's the wiring stuff which is giving a lot of people trouble.

The people who seem to have the easiest project, or the fewest problems, are those who use the 96/97 computers(plus the matching wiring harnesses).

No matter what engine/PCM you have, always compare the schematics of the donor wiring, with the vehicle wiring, to the computer pins. Every change you make of the year of parts that you use, the more chance there is that the wiring and functioning don't match.

Most of the problems mentioned seem to stem from what is mentioned here. I hope this helps. Regards,

I think I finally got the PCM to take an upload of the custom PATS disabling tune. The solution appeared when I tried to see if there were any codes stored. Some times the code reader would connect fine, some times it came back with a 'Not Connected' message. Seems the Data Port connection was not always there. Being that I built the harness, spliced the Volvo to the Ford and had less than 100% confidence that the PCM was good it would have been nice if the SCT device provided a 'Not Connected' message or some thing similar. It just never finished the upload. Cleaned and connected and disconnected numerous times and now it works reliably.

Now I have PCM controlled grounds to the injectors, at least on the two that I can easily get to. Still doesn't start but it appears that we have injector operation for the first time.

Compression is perfect, got spark to the plugs and it appears that the injectors are being powered. Fuel pressure gauge reads 70psi. Testing the fuel rail Schrader valve sprayed gas 2 feet into the air.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

I think I finally got the PCM to take an upload of the custom PATS disabling tune. The solution appeared when I tried to see if there were any codes stored. Some times the code reader would connect fine, some times it came back with a 'Not Connected' message. Seems the Data Port connection was not always there. Being that I built the harness, spliced the Volvo to the Ford and had less than 100% confidence that the PCM was good it would have been nice if the SCT device provided a 'Not Connected' message or some thing similar. It just never finished the upload. Cleaned and connected and disconnected numerous times and now it works reliably.

Now I have PCM controlled grounds to the injectors, at least on the two that I can easily get to. Still doesn't start but it appears that we have injector operation for the first time.

Compression is perfect, got spark to the plugs and it appears that the injectors are operating. Fuel pressure gauge reads 70psi. Testing the fuel rail Schrader valve sprayed gas 2 feet into the air.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Very good. Now I'd inspect all of the obvious and simple things once more. Pull the plugs and without cleaning them check them for any signs of being fouled or all wet or dirty. It is possible for new plugs to be the problem after the engine not firing and running okay quickly.

Make sure the fuel pump is running during three times, key first turned on(moment), and full time cranking and running. Those are three separate functions. Keep at it, you are close it seems.:salute:

Did anyone ever come up with the early C115 diagram and description?
I have what is supposed to be a 96 harness, and I have a few different wire colors and not used pins.
After going over the pin out and list from the 2000 connector in post 3, there is a missing group of pins, the list does not state 17, 18, 19.

I do not have the c115 pin out in the same format but do have the early wiring diagrams. They are in .pdf format and I would have to send them to you outside of the forum. PM me you email address and I will send them to you.

The Data Port connection problem solution allowed the upload of the custom tune from James Henson to disable PATS. After that I began seeing ground signals from the PCM on the leads to the two injectors that I could access under/around the intake manifold. I used a straight pin pushed through the wire insulation for the measurement. After seeing injector signals without fuel to the cylinders I grounded the PCM side of the two injectors with a jumper. There was no sign of movement, either heard of felt. That told me that the injectors were gummed up from sitting 10+ years. An injector cleaning service, Fuel Injector Physicians, cleaned them up and advised that they required 3 soak cycles before freeing up but then the set was within 1% +-.

The big problem in this whole affair was that the SCT 3015 tune device provided less than enough (for me) information on the upload. It started, ran for some period of time and never finished with no information on the problem. A simple 'not connected' or 'connection to the PCM lost' message, which I got on my code reader, would have saved me about a month's part time work.

Assuming that this is the last of my trials by PATS I will try to summarize the knowledge learned in this effort and what I think I know about swapping this series of Explorer engines and transmissions.

Closer... and closer... to the finish.

This will affect every swap differently based on what the vehicle is that the engine is going into.

It looks like the Sport Trac has two big problems for the swap(besides the commonly known fuel system items).

First the 98-01 computers expect a VSS signal which is conditioned from going through an Explorer ABS pump, that is different from how the VSS signal comes in the Sport Trac. I think the ideal way to solve the problem is to use a 96/97 Explorer 302 PCM. Those take the VSS directly from the transmission, and it is shared with the speedometer.

The second issue is the transducer, which evidently is not used in the Sport Trac, or most later cars. It seems that Ford did some odd things there in the late 90's, and that's the wiring stuff which is giving a lot of people trouble.

The people who seem to have the easiest project, or the fewest problems, are those who use the 96/97 computers(plus the matching wiring harnesses).

No matter what engine/PCM you have, always compare the schematics of the donor wiring, with the vehicle wiring, to the computer pins. Every change you make of the year of parts that you use, the more chance there is that the wiring and functioning don't match.

Most of the problems mentioned seem to stem from what is mentioned here. I hope this helps. Regards,

I wonder if I need to switch my 99 ABS unit for a 97 ? My tranny is in limp mode and i haven't been able to figure it out

I posted that from information others have posted about the different swaps. I think we are getting closer to knowing the differences between the PCM systems.

Do you have a 99 computer, wiring, and a 99 Explorer ABS now?

I have been trying to ignore all that VSS, ABS stuff since I have neither. Now what am I going to do? Learn to live with LIMP Mode?

The Jags That Run books cover how to get around that in the GM world. I guess I will have to figure out how in the Ford world.

Back to the electrical diagram books.

I have been trying to ignore all that VSS, ABS stuff since I have neither. Now what am I going to do? Learn to live with LIMP Mode?

The Jags That Run books cover how to get around that in the GM world. I guess I will have to figure out how in the Ford world.

Did you notice the post I made in November, about the post I found from RangerSVT last May?

This would explain now why your Volvo will run, but be in limp mode due to the lack of a conditioned VSS signal.

I used a 99 motor/donor, not a 96. Maybe this will help explain things...(copied from another forum)
2001 rangers had one more operation that was performed in the PCM that the explorers had a separate module for; the conditioning of the VSS signal.
In the ranger, an OSS signal from the transmission was sent to the PCM, the PCM then in turn used this for determining shift points and broadcast a conditioned version to the cruise control, speedometer, ABS, etc.
In the explorer, the VSS signal from the rear axle is sent to the ABS module. The ABS module is then used to condition the signal and broadcast a the conditioned signal to the cruise control, speedometer, and PCM for determining shift points. One additional feature the explorer has is a “G-Force Transducer” that measures how hard you are breaking for the ABS.
Because we are using the PCM from the explorer, it will require a conditioned VSS, This requires using the explorer ABS module and “G-Force Transducer”.
Not using these components will not stop the vehicle from running, but the speedo/tach will not work and the transmission will be running in “limp mode” because shift point can’t be optimized based on vehicle speed. The lack of this signal also makes the engine throw a code and the check engine light comes on.
I'm quite sure the tracs are the same way...

It looks like you have solved the non running issue, the injectors. You have made progress, you have it running and the PATS is disabled.

I suggest contacting RangerSVT for ideas about the VSS, and checking on the Ranger forum too, in case someone has also gone through that, and made it work without using the 98-01 Explorer ABS module.

Its running?

Wonder what Michael's brother did for those issues?
I think his Volvo is the only one I know of that is a running, driving Explorer
swap. (SO FAR)

I know a Micheal Yount from the Corral with a 302 Volvo, but I think he used a 96/97 PCM. He is a very active forum member, and does his own research and work. I'll try to find his posts there and ask him what PCM and VSS he is using. I think he used an older Mustang computer and harness, he has a distributor.

It is not running . . . yet . . . but it should shortly. I was headed down the hill to install the new injectors when I saw the message. It was obvious the trans shifting was coming, I have just been trying to ignore it.

Yeah, Michael is running the previous version of 5.0L engine/EEC IV or V and has a manual transmission. Lack of a VSS or ABS signal will not affect his shift points much.

It got dark . . .

. . . and tired outside. So I quit for the day.

Ain't they purdy!

b6cbd174-23a0-4224-9186-9c99481ffc06.jpg

All new injectors. What else could possibly be wrong?

e05413b8-28ba-4848-baee-5f53eb40a68b.jpg

. . . and with the new media blasted and clear coated intake manifold. It is not bolted down but sure looks better than it did before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VSS signal

According to my 1996 wiring diagram for the 4R70W the output of the transmission vehicle speed sensor (VSS) goes directly to the PCM. The VSS output also drives the speed control servo/amplifier, the generic electronic module (GEM), the automatic ride control (ARC) module, the message center, the compass/outside air temperature module, and the speedometer/odometer. I was surprised that the radio does not receive a VSS signal to control the volume. The output shaft speed (OSS) sensor located on the left rear of the 4R70W also drives the PCM.

According to my 2000 wiring diagrams the output of the rear axle mounted speed sensor goes to the 4WABS. The 4WABS generates the VSS signal that drives the PCM, the speed control servo/amplifier, the generic electronic module (GEM), the automatic ride control (ARC) module, the message center, the compass/outside air temperature module, the speedometer/odometer and the radio. The output shaft speed (OSS) sensor of the 4R70W signals go to the PCM: pin 84 (OSS sensor) and pin 91 (signal return).

According to my 2000 workshop manual:

"The output shaft speed (OSS) sensor is a magnetic pickup, located at the output shaft ring gear, that sends a signal to the powertrain control module to indicate transmission output shaft speed. The OSS is used for torque converter clutch control, shift scheduling and to determine electronic pressure control.

The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is model dependent. Possible sources of vehicle speed input are, anti-lock brake sensor (ABS), a gear-driven vehicle speed sensor (VSS), or the transmission output shaft speed (OSS) sensor. On 4x4 applications with a manual shift transfer case, the transfer case speed sensor is the source of vehicle speed. The VSS signal is either an AC signal whose frequency changes with vehicle speed, or an SCP data message depending on the source. Some vehicles have both. The vehicle speed signal is an input to various vehicle sub-systems such as the powertrain control module (PCM), instrument cluster (speedometer and odometer), speed control systems, etc. The vehicle speed source must be operational to enter output state control mode for diagnostics."

My 1996 850 turbo wagon has a VSS sensor on the transmission but doesn't use it. Instead the ECU uses the ABS signal. Does your 4R70W have the VSS sensor? If not, is there just a plug in the location that might accept the sensor? If you only have the OSS sensor maybe James Henson can alter your tune to have the PCM select the OSS sensor as the source of vehicle speed.

Back