Tow/Haul mode seems to give horrible gas mileage?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow/Haul mode seems to give horrible gas mileage?!

cabrego

Reaction score
City, State
South Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport!
We just purchased a 5x8 enclosed trailer and decided it would be best to use tow/haul mode even though the trailer was basically empty. I am guess the total weight is less than 1000 lbs. We drove about 300 miles or so and have noticed that our gas mileage was must worse than we thought it might be, only getting about 10.5 mpg driving entirely on the highway going about 65-70mph. Normally we get about 16.

The RPMS stay about 3000 the entire way, if we turn off tow mode, they drop to 2000. I suspect this is the intended behavior be sheesh, what a hit in gas mileage.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds about right for a F150, and even if the trailer is empty the wind drag at 70 mph is what uses the gas.

No, I saw F150 under your name and assumed that is what you drive.
Oh no sorry, that is old. I am asking about a 2015 explorer sport. I need to update thanks!

Oh no sorry, that is old. I am asking about a 2015 explorer sport. I need to update thanks!

What you drive is not very relevant to your question anyway. Pulling a box trailer at high speed takes a lot of power. You may try to do without the (Tow/Haul) mode and gain some but mostly if you want better mileage your going to have to slow down. I also have an Explorer Sport and it can get pretty decent gas mileage cruising down the Interstate at 65/70 mph but if I push it much at all the mileage is about like yours.

What was your expectation?

A 5X8 enclosed trailer has a large frontal area that is catching wind, acting like a big air brake, especially at 65-70 mph. That, in addition to the extra weight will have a significant effect on fuel mileage.

Just for another data point, I just did a run with a trailer on Thursday in my Ex Sport. It was an open, 5x8 utility trailer so much less wind resistance.

Normally I get 19 overall in my sport. This was about 70 miles each way and I used tow/haul each way. The way down I got about 17mpg mostly going 70, give or take. On the way back with a small front-end loader attachment on the trailer (probably 500 pounds or so) I got around 16mpg, but traffic had picked up so I had to go slower for a large amount of it.

Closed trailers are MUCH worse from a wind resistance standpoint. Remember, once you get the weight rolling it doesn't take much to keep it rolling, but the wind resistance is always there. For that reason I'd tend to always use tow/haul with a closed trailer.

Different from your situation, I know, but figured extra info couldn't hurt.

Just for another data point, I just did a run with a trailer on Thursday in my Ex Sport. It was an open, 5x8 utility trailer so much less wind resistance.

Normally I get 19 overall in my sport. This was about 70 miles each way and I used tow/haul each way. The way down I got about 17mpg mostly going 70, give or take. On the way back with a small front-end loader attachment on the trailer (probably 500 pounds or so) I got around 16mpg, but traffic had picked up so I had to go slower for a large amount of it.

Closed trailers are MUCH worse from a wind resistance standpoint. Remember, once you get the weight rolling it doesn't take much to keep it rolling, but the wind resistance is always there. For that reason I'd tend to always use tow/haul with a closed trailer.

Different from your situation, I know, but figured extra info couldn't hurt.
Engaging Tow/Haul changes the transmission shifting and it also cuts out the 'overdrive' feature. That is why your RPM reading is up and your MPG is down. Here is a partial excerpt from the Owner's Guide;
Press the TOW button to deactivate the tow feature and return to normal driving mode. The tow light will no longer be illuminated.
When you shut-off and restart the engine, the transmission will automatically return to normal D (Overdrive) mode (tow off).

Peter

My duck boat is a small 14' jon boat total trailer weight of about 1,000 lbs. I never bother to hit the tow button with stuff under 2,000lbs but my mileage drops from 19-20 to about 16 when pulling the little boat.

Like folks are saying what you've noticed isn't unexpected but you can probably get by without the tow mode with the trailer empty.

Everyones pretty much mentioned this already, but thats not an unexpected mpg number. When using tow/haul you'll most likely be running higher rpms and it probably stays in boost for a long period, thus sucking down the gas. Try not using tow/haul when towing empty to see how it does. The ecoboost should be producing enough torque without using it to keep you moving along just fine.

From what i've seen with my friends vehicles with ecoboosts, they can do quite well mpg wise IF AND ONLY IF you have a light foot. As soon as you end up in boost kiss your mileage goodbye. A buddy of mines gets 20mpg+ almost all of the time in his F-150, but as soon as he tows his Harley he misses his V8.

Engaging Tow/Haul changes the transmission shifting and it also cuts out the 'overdrive' feature. That is why your RPM reading is up and your MPG is down. Here is a partial excerpt from the Owner's Guide;
Press the TOW button to deactivate the tow feature and return to normal driving mode. The tow light will no longer be illuminated.
When you shut-off and restart the engine, the transmission will automatically return to normal D (Overdrive) mode (tow off).

Peter

Good explanation here. The less rpms you are at the better mpg you will get, is what it comes down to.

How did we ever tow without a "Tow Mode".

I know a few older guys that never use the tow/haul button. They just turn off O/D manually and downshift/lock out higher gears manually. I doubt it has anything to do with trying to get better mileage though. Just trying to keep the engine at peak torque.

This reminds me of a post someone on the f150 ecoboost facebook page posted. He had a picture of his cluster showing his fuel mileage was at like 9.6 mpg while towing and he was complaining about it. Funny part was you could still see his speedometer in the picture and he was going 85 mph.....

Tow/Haul mode savers you transmission and torque converter clutch as well as changes shifting points to provide more power to accelerate. Older vehicles didn't have this because they were mainly mechanical transmission and not electronically controller however they did have a "D" for Drive and then a "D" with a circle around it for over drive so you could still turn off over drive to save your transmission.

they did have a "D" for Drive and then a "D" with a circle around it for over drive so you could still turn off over drive to save your transmission.

Yup, and if memory serves the manuals said you should shift down out of OD when towing or with a heavy load on.

Older auto transmissions were 3 speed and probably capable of hauling in any of them since nobody was worried about gas mileage and vehicles that were designed to tow weren't designed to also go 100mph+ like ours are (or get better than 10mpg like ours do.)

Alternately, if you have a stick shift it's all up to you, but you get used to 'reading' the vehicle and knowing if you're in the wrong gear for what you're doing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "TOW" mode locks out overdrive and changes the transmission shift points to a more aggressive driving/shifting style; all the while keeping it lower gears longer before upshifting. I use this mode without towing when I know I'm going to be in Atlanta traffic and need the quicker throttle/shift response when moving in/out of traffic. And yes, I notice a bit of fuel mileage loss but it doesn't bother me a bit. It's a fun and very capable vehicle that drives/performs as well, (and in most cases better), than the sport cars I've owned in the past. I'm really glad my Sport has TOW mode!

Back