U-Haul Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U-Haul Question

My wife and son are moving from P.E.I to Calgary, Alberta at the end of summer ( 5500 km track) and I was at the uhaul.ca site and getting a quote for a trailer so it ask what vehicle type, year, model etc.. you have and I filled it in, 99 ford explorer xlt 4x4 using a Class 3 5000 pound and it says this....

"This vehicle is not authorized to tow U-Haul equipment. U-Haul does not rent behind this tow vehicle. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Is there a different vehicle that you can use for towing?"

Heres the Trailer we want to rent.
6' x 12' Trailer
Capacity
Volume: up to 396 cu. ft.
Max load: 2,600 lbs.
Gross vehicle weight: 4,400 lbs. max
Empty weight: 1,800 lbs.

So I said ok, and tried a 2001 Ford Focus Wagon using a Class 3 5000 pound (lol) hitch and it then said

Our records indicate this is a recommended towing setup; however, all towing is subject to inspection. We suggest you have your vehicle inspected free of charge at any U-Haul Moving Center prior to the date of your move.

So I wondering what gives????, I tried all years of the Explorer and 2wd

Just looking form some thoughts on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Firestone draged U-Haul into the lawsuit over the the tire failure incedent because one of the Explorers that rolled over was towing a U-Haul trailer so U-Haul will not rent trailers to Explorer owners.

Some independent ones will.
Also try using Mountaineer as the tow vehicle. I have heard that this will get you around that.

that is pretty stupid, I've only rented from Uhaul once but it was with a 97 Ram

Dans right, that is OFFICIAL U-Haul policy. They won't rent to Explorers, but they will rent to Mountaineers. Just change the emblems on your truck.

Try Toy Master Motor Sports - 902-894-5287, Travellers Rest RV Centre - 902-836-3577, Faye's Family Trailer Rentals - 902-672-2080, PEI Best Way Moving - 902-628-5013. The moving companies usually have small trailers for rent.

There are so many other independents willing to rent. U-haul has that stupid policy. They SOLD and INSTALLED a hitch on my friends 99 Explo EB but they REFUSED to rent him a trailer

Incidentally, if you want to buy anything off the Uhaul.ca website - the prices are in US dollars and they are not directly available.

Example: I just called them about a $119 hitch for my 99 Explo Sport and gave them the part number off the website. The final "adjusted" price was CAN$225. Again they were willing to sell and install a hitch on mine but this time they asked what I wanted the hitch for. I told them I needed it for accessories like hitch mounted boxes and bike carriers and NOT towing

like MountaineerGreen said, go rent it under another vehicle, im sure one of your friends has a truck or something else, have them go pick it up with that vehicle, then take it home and hook it up to the X lol

I have a picture of my 2001 sport with a uhaul trailer behind it........ i had one hell of an argument with them when i called and reserved a uhaul trailer..went to pick it up and then got refused.. after drviing a 110 miles from home with no trailer to move.... so they wrote me down as a mercury mountianeer.....

Yeah, I went from NY to Chicago- 6x12, and they listed me as an Excursion :confused:

Padding your forum eh:p:

Back