• Register Today It's free!

vss problem #2 going with np205

Lugnutjoe

Reaction score
City, State
Malloy land
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explore limited 5.0
ok as luck would have it a basically free np205 feel into my lap.

any one know of a aftermarket company that makes a vss adapter for this

or can i run fine with no vss and no speedo with out problems

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PCM will absolutely freak out without a speed signal, will have no idea when to shift the transmission.

Outside of the output shaft driven VSS, Ford used two other systems, either should be possible to graft in.

The later Explorers ('99 - 01) used a slightly different ABS system and an accelerometer for the speed signal -- very doable to graft in the later bits and tie in the ABS output speed signal in place of the VSS.

Or, the early 2000 Ranger 4 cyl trucks used the GEM to calc/generate the speed signal based on the rear axle ABS sensor. Again, very doable to graft in the bits and wiring.

Exact same signals, just different sources.

Both paths are used successfully when dropping an Explorer 5.0 into a Ranger.

Some 97 v8's ( and all 98-2001) with awd use a diff mounted speed sensor. Take a look at your own transfer case tail housing. If there are no wires going to it you are good to go!

If there is a connector plugged into the transfer case, it does have the speed sensor inside.

ya heres my problem with that im putting a ford 9" in the rear and a d44 in front with 5.14 gears and 38" tires

ok just looked i have a tail shaft sensor. and a sensor on the diff right above the pinion

Magnetic pick up coil with 4 magnets glued to the drive shaft would generate a 8k ppm signal.

ok. thank you guys for the help. and for the quick responses.ill start a build thread with pics soon.

Back