Want a new truck

VBVA

Go Dukes!
Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL
Don't get me wrong, I love my Explorer. But, I am moving to Northern Virginia next year to start a job after I graduate college this spring. For those of you not familiar with NOVA, the gas is steep and the traffic is horrendous (#1 worst place in US as rated by Men's Health). So, I figured my '93 Explorer with a broken gas gauge, horrible alignment, and in need of a serious tune up and a serpentine belt would not be a reliable vehicle.

To make this short, I am looking at a slightly used 2000-2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab or Double Cab beacuse of its power and reliablility.. I am looking to make my purchase in May. So, I ask you, are there any other 4WD pickups that are reliable, cheap, and fun that I should look at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about a 2000-2004 Ranger? Not big on the Tacos, with the exception of clearance, I am not impressed with the interiors (very stark) and the power isn't as much as a 4.0 Ranger.
Keep us updated and good luck! Congrats on graduating!!! I'm graduating in May and I bought my 97 X for when I go to dental school.

VBVA said:
So, I ask you, are there any other 4WD pickups that are reliable, cheap, and fun that I should look at?

How about reliable, not cheap, and fun? If that's the case I'd go Taco all the way. The rangers are cheaper but expect more problems. Here used Toyotas go for a lot more that a similar Ranger. I don't know anyone with a Nissan so I can't help there.

You are just looking at compact trucks right?

If you don't want to go Ford, why not a Colorado? Pretty sharp trucks.

I can tell you first hand driving on the Capital beltway sucks. I average about 14 MPG during my commute daily. Not to mention a normal 45 minute drive from my place to Georgetown takes up to an 1.5 hours. Luckily I'll have a daily driver/company vehicle soon.

I'd say get a Tacoma , the new ones look awesome. Are you gonna sell you Explorer?

Brian,

I kinda agree with the Ranger idea, but only look at the Level IIs. They are an excelent mix of serious off road and daily driver. They are relatively cheap. The american car manufacturers are currently offering the best financing, incentives. You may even be able to get a financing package that allow you to defer the first couple of payments (college student). I got a 04 Level II in March (15,000-miles) and I am quite pleased with the performance, of course I still prefer my X, but it is not really a daily driver. If you are thinking used you may want to check out a Carmax, not to buy from them but to compare and test drive what is available. I know there is one right beside I-64 west of Richmond. On you back and forth to JMU it might make a nice stop off. Take your time and shop around. There are plenty of good deals out there. The internet is a good place to compare options and prices of all the manufactures, on their web sites. If you are seriously thinking Ford let me know I have had good luck with a dealer in Jarrett (Alton Owen Ford), owner is a friend of a friend. He is a no bull$hit dealer that will quote you a price and deliver, without haggling. Good luck, keep us posted on what you are looking at.

Thanks for all the help guys! I am still looking at buying a newer truck, I am also weighing the costs of fixing all the overlooked problems on the explorer. I have looked at Rangers and Nissan Frontiers, but Tacomas just appeal more to me right now.

Blee1099 said:
I can tell you first hand driving on the Capital beltway sucks. I average about 14 MPG during my commute daily. Not to mention a normal 45 minute drive from my place to Georgetown takes up to an 1.5 hours. Luckily I'll have a daily driver/company vehicle soon.

I just accepted a position with Pulte Homes, and since most of the new housing developments in the D.C. Metro area aren't inside the beltway, I am hoping that I don't have to deal with that much traffic on a daily basis. I expect a long commute, just hoping I don't spend it sitting in traffic on 495.

VBVA said:
I just accepted a position with Pulte Homes, and since most of the new housing developments in the D.C. Metro area aren't inside the beltway, I am hoping that I don't have to deal with that much traffic on a daily basis. I expect a long commute, just hoping I don't spend it sitting in traffic on 495.

Well, the traffic outside the beltway is worse than inside it seems... sorry. If you are building developments in VA Im guessing Manassas out 66 , or out Dulles 28 area. Seems The traffic is bad just about everywhere. The governments around here (Montgomery, Fairfax) want all kinds of jobs, but wont let developers build roads or houses to house everyone- so lots of people commute a l-o-n-g way.

What are you doing for Pulte?

SteveVB said:
What are you doing for Pulte?
I'll start out as an Assistant Superintendent with the chance to advance to a Superintendent after one year. Construction interests me and Pulte Homes was the right fit straight out of school.

You're going to pay a whole lot more for a Toyota than you will for a Ranger when buying late model, used trucks. Otherwise the Toyota will have to have a whole lot more miles on it.

Keep in mind, the money you save up towards buying a nice $25k truck which will only break down and depreciate is money that you could put towards a down payment on a house ~ and we all know how fast houses in NOVA appreciate.

Besides, if you're going to do alot of commuting, why not keep the Ex for fun and weekends and drop like $5-7k on a reliable daily driver.

As of now my plan is to keep the Explorer and get a Miata when I graduate in 16 months. (Assuming I'll be living in Charleston, SC)

I like both the Rangers and the Tacomas. If you're buying a newer truck, keep the explorer (since it isn't worth much anymore) so you can still have it for fun. JMO Good luck making a decision :)

Hokie said:
As of now my plan is to keep the Explorer and get a Miata when I graduate in 16 months. (Assuming I'll be living in Charleston, SC)
Nice choice! :cool: I really like those.

yeah traffic is horrible! I'm in it all day long, Taxi cabs that dont care they will hit you on pourpose, buses come w/ in inches of hitting you, Get something good on gas, , right now you'll find it about 1.84 a gallon for cheap in the nova area mclane, tysons, arlington area,, oh congrats on the job, trying to get my real estate apprasal license here, ARE u sure u wanna move to this area!?? Nissan frontier the new models are very sharp,, i think, sat in one at the auto show in dc this month and was pretty impressed, w/ the quality and price!, just an option, or take a look at the mazda line up, better styling then the ranger and lil cheaper also. About 1-2 k, savings, Just a thought

I'm still lookin around. However, if I had a cheap daily driver and the Ex I would be paying ridiculous amounts of cash in insurance, being a 22 year old male with two vehicles. I've been checkin out what autotrader has these days, mostly at Tacomas, Rangers, Frontiers, and even Xterras, Pathfinders, and 4Runners. I also looked into how much it would cost to fix my Explorer. That bill was pricey when I looked at gas pumps/sending units, wheel bearings, tune up, and alignment.

I am moving to NOVA for the job, not for the people or the Redskins. I figured since I grew up in Virginia Beach, spent a lot of time with family in Richmond, and went to school in the Shenandoah Valley, I owed to myself to check someplace else out.

VBVA said:

First, let me say congratulations on the new job !!
Second, let me say good luck, especially if you are not familiar with the traffic and the area.

I first worked for that company as a super (you know, the one who's offices are over on Arrowhead Drive, just off 123 at I66) back in the mid-80's.

I don't know how much things have changed since back then, but based on my experience over the last 28 years as a super, production manager, construction manager, and everything in between in the NOVA residential market, let me offer this advice.... get a second-hand econo-box beater of a car with a working AC and a good radio, and hang on to the Ex for trips out to GWNF (if we can ever all get together on one).

I cannot tell you how many guys showed up their first day, fresh-faced with a new or nearly-so 4 x 4 pickup truck. All the PM's and supers smile as that truck has just became the "jobsite wheelbarrow", hauling everything from trash to appliances to propane bottles. A year or two later the truck was pretty well finished, without even a "thank-you".

They learned the hard way.

I am still in the business in NOVA, only now I build a few custom homes a year, and I drive my 1st-gen. explorer 30-40K /year in this traffic (my "beater"). I hang on to it because I also manage the land development side of my company, and 4 x 4 is often beneficial. I also hang onto it because it's a "fun" truck.

When I get ready to hire an assistant super, I'm gonna find one with a pickup truck.... hmmmm....

I am in Springfield... If I can help you to get settled, let me know.
Best of luck. :thumbsup:

CLH

30 -40 k a year,, Lots of time in traffic my friend!! Seems like if their is a wreck on I95 it ties up every thing no matter where your heading! And they are building a lot of small mansions out on 29 South of Gainsville area. Lots of jobs in that field!

VAHAM said:
I don't know how much things have changed since back then, but based on my experience over the last 28 years as a super, production manager, construction manager, and everything in between in the NOVA residential market, let me offer this advice.... get a second-hand econo-box beater of a car with a working AC and a good radio, and hang on to the Ex for trips out to GWNF (if we can ever all get together on one).

CLH

Leon,

I wondered if you had some tips- nothing beats experience ;)

Hope you got the cover OK.

SteveVB said:
Leon,

I wondered if you had some tips- nothing beats experience ;)

Hope you got the cover OK.

Steve, I did you a great disservice by not thanking you publicly..... yes, I got it the same day you sent the email !!!!! I was laid up from surgery for a few days, and spent my time playing catch-up afterward, and let you note to me fall on the floor, then the holidays, blah, blah, blah...no good excuse at all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

I wish all the people I dealt with were as kind and straighforward as you.

To the "X" in Stafford-

I stay off of 95 when possible, but for seven years commuted from Lake-of-the Woods (Orange County), down Rt. 3 to I95 to No VA, so I paid my dues!!

CLH

Thanks for the replies guys. Since the cost of living is so high up in NOVA and my pay isn't 6 figures, it does make sense to keep the Ex around. I owe no money on it to anyone and the engine and tranny are still in great shape. If the AC worked and the gas gauge functioned it would be a luxurious vehicle. The relatively low cost of repairs for the Ex, the commute, and my burning desire for change are going to make this a tough decision.

VAHAM - Springfield, eh. I just started looking for apartments this week. Just been surfing the internet for nice communities in safe areas, almost all of them in Fairfax county. What places do you recommend for a 3 bedroom townhouse or apartment with rent around $1500-$1800?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have family in Reston, it's a really nice area but the prices there are very high. The farther from DC you go the less you will pay.

Back