Water in air intake = Rough start =( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water in air intake = Rough start =(

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Its pronounced (Priz-biz)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Well i went major offroading the other day, didnt see how deep the water was before I tried hauling through it. I guess it was about 3 foot deep and when i was smack dab in the middle of the pond it killed itself. Luckily i was not far from the side and it had enough momentum to make it out of the water.

I knew that i got water in the air intake and that lead straight to the engine. Yeah it wasnt the smartest idea, i realize that now....

But right after that the truck wouldnt start so i had to go let everything dry out and then charge the battery because it wouldnt turn over the truck...

The next day It still wouldnt start easily because the battery was dead so i replaced the battery and now i dont have to jumpstart it anymore and its doing better.

1) Dead battery, now fixed.

Strangely enough as it was to kill a battery with water, there are still more problems.

The truck starts really really hard, like it takes a good 10 seconds sometimes to get the whole thing cranking. It cranks hard and slow a couple times, then faster and then finally it starts.

I was doing some reading and learned that it might be an IAC valve that is dirty? I will be cleaning it today. But also It could be the intake manifold gaskets?

I'm really not sure what to check, but i need it to start a little better so that I can depend on it a little more.

Tips please????

Thanks for reading!
:(:(- Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ALSO i am going to try and powerwash under the hood real good and let it dry out. I'll wait for a reply to go along with that, but I wanted to get it done soon.

Warn me if this is a NONO!

I'm not really sure why it's difficult to start, but you need to change your oil ASAP before you do more damage. If any water got into the engine, it'll mix with your oil (and make it appear milky in color) and potentially wreck havoc on your engine. That's the first order of business, IMO.

You're fine with power-washing the engine bay, but either keep the pressure low or stay far enough back where you're not hitting anything with super high pressure - never know what connections you could knock loose or force water into. I would also cover up any important electrical components like the computer (mounted to the firewall), the starter, etc. Just wrap them in some cheap plastic bags and tape them up.

Crap! I already power washed it today but i tried to stay away from starter and everything. I got the block real well, the alternator and pulleys.... blah blah blah.

I didnt even think about changing the oil! I will do that in the morning asap!

But i also cleaned my IAC, which was dirty but i dont think it made a huge difference lol

It cranks hard and slow a couple times, then faster and then finally it starts.

I'm thinking along the lines of a wet and now failing starter.

I would say that it could be two things. Bad starter and also water in the engine. If you have too much fluid in the engine, the engine won't have enough room inside to turn over and eventually blow the head gasket up. Don't drive it is what I would say and flush everything out including the diffs, transmission and transfer case. Water in those things will kill'em.

Im doing the oil next. And then probably on to the transmission fluid.

Note: it is starting better since i powerwashed the inside of the engine. Also cleaned the IAC

Back