Water Leak | Page 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, I 'm new to the forum. I just got my new Explorer last Wednesday afternoon and to my surprise yesterday when I went to install the new cargo liner the padding under the carpet was wet on the passenger side. I took it to the dealer this morning and feel sick about my purchase. As much info on water leak issues in the back I can't believe my new '15 has this problem. I hope they can fix it but there will always be that thought in the back of my mind…is it leaking. I hope it's just the roof rail which from the forum seems like a easy fix for the dealer?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Sorry to read about your problem with the leak. Did you by chance also check the spare tire well for signs of water?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I checked the spare tire area and no water down there. It seems the water came down the side and drained toward the front area in the back. Only the passenger side padding was wet in the cargo area. I did see a few drops of water in the storage compartment on the passenger side as well. Only 571 miles, I'm still in shock this is happening...seems like a bad dream... Oh and its supposed to keep raining for the next 7 days as where I live in Texas we are under a flash flood warning right now from all the rain we keep getting.

Yes, I checked the spare tire area and no water down there. It seems the water came down the side and drained toward the front area in the back. Only the passenger side padding was wet in the cargo area. I did see a few drops of water in the storage compartment on the passenger side as well. Only 571 miles, I'm still in shock this is happening...seems like a bad dream... Oh and its supposed to keep raining for the next 7 days as where I live in Texas we are under a flash flood warning right now from all the rain we keep getting.

Hey there :)

I feel your pain - same thing happened to mine 5 days into owning it. I posted some pictures above to show where mine was leaking.

Your best bet is to contact your dealer/service manager ASAP and schedule an appt -- they should bring you in ASAP because you literally just got your car.

ALSO make sure you can take some pictures if the water/leak is still showing. It will be fixed as most dealers now know where to look for the problem.

It will get fixed! Just hang in there and good luck. :):thumbsup:

Hello, I 'm new to the forum. I just got my new Explorer last Wednesday afternoon and to my surprise yesterday when I went to install the new cargo liner the padding under the carpet was wet on the passenger side. I took it to the dealer this morning and feel sick about my purchase...

Welcome to the site, explorer2015tx. I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here; I want to make sure you're feeling fantastic about your new Explorer. Send me your information in a private message and I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Driver's side 2nd row floor board wet

Ok, I had two water leaks and one of them wasn't in the usual place so I'll share just in case anyone else runs across the same thing.

First, I had the water coming down the 3rd row seat belt and it was coming from the drivers side upper corner of the liftgate, so I resealed it with silicone. Problem Solved!

Second, anytime it rained heavy enough the drivers side 2nd row floor board was getting soaked.
So to make a long story short, it was coming from the driver's side front sunroof drain. The drain is supposed to go into the driver's side front wheel well but the nipple that pokes through the sheet metal and allows the water to drain to the wheel well was never pulled into the wheel well and was allowing the water to drain into the driver's floor board. The reason I never noticed it being wet there is because it was getting to a trough that goes from the driver's floor board to the driver's side 2nd row floor board (where it was soaking it all up) before the carpet on the driver's floor board soaked up enough water for me to notice.
So I removed the wheel and inner fender and used my needle nose pliers to pull the nipple through like it was supposed to be.
Problem Solved!

Thanks for sharing that info.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks for offer to help Crystal but what can you or the regional person really do? I'm not trying to be sarcastic but I'm the one stuck with this vehicle now, not Ford. I paid for a 100% complete vehicle not a 99% complete. 40K is a lot of money to spend...again I'm not trying to be rude but this really makes me mad.

Just got a call from the dealership that they found the leak, top right corner on the back. They stated "not enough sealant used"...how many times does that need to be said until Ford fixes the issue? Now I'm concerned if there are other places where "not enough sealant used" might be. My Explorer shows a build date of 4/11/15 not even a month old when I purchased it on 5/6/15 and Ford went cheap on me and everyone else who has had this issue. How about Ford offer to make my first month payment??? I want to say thanks to all the folks on here that shared their info and gave me an idea of what to expect. Hopefully mines fixed for good but only time will tell...well actually Monday and Tuesday as it's supposed to flood here again! I'll try to post pics of the fix once I pick it up tomorrow.

Wondering if Ford has figured out to use more sealant at the seams for the '16 model year, if not shame on us for keep buying a product that has a long history of leaking for years in the same area. There are too many other car manufacturers to choose from.

At least put a tube of sealant in the glove box for us.

Thanks for offer to help Crystal but what can you or the regional person really do?...

Hi explorer2015tx,

Our customer service managers (CSMs) work directly with dealerships to resolve customer concerns. They can open up additional resources for service departments and ensure things progress smoothly. Specific questions about assistance can be addressed by the CSM assigned to your case, if you'd be interested in proceeding. Let me know if you have any other questions. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hello everyone!

New to the forum. Glad to be here. Unfortunately, my 2011 Explorer XLT has a leaking problem and it has been nothing but frustrating trying to resolve this issue with just the dealership. Came here hoping to find some help.

I noticed that my 2nd row passenger side carpet was soaked, so I took it to the Ford dealership to get it checked and fixed. They told me they found the leak, and that the problem was a defective/warped cowl (which, surprise surprise, isn't covered by the Ford Warranty).

500+ dollars later, I got a new cowl and was told that the car was fixed and was thoroughly water tested and that the problem was fixed.

I noticed that the passenger side floors were still soaked several weeks later and the Ford service folks said this was "normal" because the insulation under the carpets take "forever" to dry out.

However, I could tell that my leak wasn't fixed. I took my car back to the dealership because my wiper spritzer wasn't working (of course, not covered by warranty again) and made a bit of a fuss about having paid 500 dollars for a fix that didn't fix anything. My car was still pooling water under the 2nd row on the passenger side. They told me that it was leaking from the cowl and now this was a separate leak that leaks to the same exact spot (ehhhh).

This time, they said they found the leak (3rd row passenger side seat belt area) but again told me that it wasn't covered under warranty. I haven't been in any accidents and have no body damage. I've only had my car serviced at the dealership. I don't trust the Ford service department at the dealership. They regularly fail to do proper checks during the scheduled maintenances and seem to cut corners with their work (my tires never get rotated, my brake pads regenerate according to them, my car tells me I need an oil change right after getting one from them, etc.).

Now I have major molding inside of my car. The whole car stinks and it makes me feel nauseous when I drive. At this point, I'm just completely disappointed in Ford and their customer service. I have the Extended Warranty, which covers nothing and the Premium Service Plan, which the dealership seems to ignore.

At wits end. Need some advice/help. What steps should I take? I am hoping Ford corporate will do a free repair and fix the mold problem too, but I came here to seek some advice first.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate the time you took to read it and if you could provide any assistance, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hello everyone!

New to the forum. Glad to be here. Unfortunately, my 2011 Explorer XLT has a leaking problem and it has been nothing but frustrating trying to resolve this issue with just the dealership. Came here hoping to find some help.

I noticed that my 2nd row passenger side carpet was soaked, so I took it to the Ford dealership to get it checked and fixed. They told me they found the leak, and that the problem was a defective/warped cowl (which, surprise surprise, isn't covered by the Ford Warranty).

500+ dollars later, I got a new cowl and was told that the car was fixed and was thoroughly water tested and that the problem was fixed.

I noticed that the passenger side floors were still soaked several weeks later and the Ford service folks said this was "normal" because the insulation under the carpets take "forever" to dry out.

However, I could tell that my leak wasn't fixed. I took my car back to the dealership because my wiper spritzer wasn't working (of course, not covered by warranty again) and made a bit of a fuss about having paid 500 dollars for a fix that didn't fix anything. My car was still pooling water under the 2nd row on the passenger side. They told me that it was leaking from the cowl and now this was a separate leak that leaks to the same exact spot (ehhhh).

This time, they said they found the leak (3rd row passenger side seat belt area) but again told me that it wasn't covered under warranty. I haven't been in any accidents and have no body damage. I've only had my car serviced at the dealership. I don't trust the Ford service department at the dealership. They regularly fail to do proper checks during the scheduled maintenances and seem to cut corners with their work (my tires never get rotated, my brake pads regenerate according to them, my car tells me I need an oil change right after getting one from them, etc.).

Now I have major molding inside of my car. The whole car stinks and it makes me feel nauseous when I drive. At this point, I'm just completely disappointed in Ford and their customer service. I have the Extended Warranty, which covers nothing and the Premium Service Plan, which the dealership seems to ignore.

At wits end. Need some advice/help. What steps should I take? I am hoping Ford corporate will do a free repair and fix the mold problem too, but I came here to seek some advice first.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate the time you took to read it and if you could provide any assistance, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Another 3rd row seatbelt leak issue and ford hasn't fixed it yet.

You should contact crystal here on the forum, but I would suggest going to s different dealership ASAP.

2011 Explorer XLT Leak 3rd Row Seatbelt

I recently purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT from a Ford Dealership. I have had several issues since purchasing this vehicle. The main issue being the huge leak from the 3rd row seatbelts.

This is very disappointing coming from a Ford family. My dad a Ford Retiree. And everyone in our family owning Fords.

I have contacted several dealerships and to no avail. No one has ever heard of this issue. Which is a joke! Look how many posts on just this model vehicle having this issue. And leaking in more than one area. I am contacting the Regional Service Manager asap.

Yesterday we had a rainy day and it started leaking badly. My husband wrapped the bottom of the third row seatbelts in full size towels. Those were soaked, the entire cargo area (seats were folded down), the carpet, and speakers etc. On top of that we noticed the moldy smell as well as rust on the bars of the 3 rd seating. VERY DANGEROUS!

I'm beyond disappointed FORD and of course my extended warranty doesn't cover anything. I'm really hoping that Ford makes things right or this vehicle as well as the rest of the Fords in our family are gone!

Welcome to the Forum EKx28 and 2011EXPXLT. :wavey:
The 3rd row seat belt leak is a well know leak in this thread. The cowl leak is not. As for dealerships not being aware of the issue, it is quite possible that is so. There are several members here who were not aware their Ex was leaking until they came across this thread.
The only suggestion I have is for you to contact Tricia, the Ford Service rep on this forum and see if there is anything she can do to escalate your issue. You can contact her by sending a PM (Private Message) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_dI5d-2ilo

3rd row water leak from seatbelt area. It happened 3-4 months ago with the drivers side 3rd row. had it fixed, now it started leaking again except its coming from passenger side. sucks! at least i didnt have to pay to fix it yet. I got rear ended last summer (minor bumper damage) but i was able to have the person at fault's insurance pay for it both times.

They will never say it's a common issue.
That would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Hope the rep here will help you out. If you saw my videos I fixed the issue myself. There are only so many places water can come in :)

The day Ford makes a recall pigs will fly.

They will never say it's a common issue.
That would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Hope the rep here will help you out. If you saw my videos I fixed the issue myself. There are only so many places water can come in :)

The day Ford makes a recall pigs will fly.
You won't see a recall for this issue. Recalls are issued for safety related issues and I don't think a water leak would qualify for that.

Peter

Ford's customer service sucks.
So my Explorer (still under original warranty) has the water leak into the headliner that runs down the rear seatbelt ... both sides.
The ONE dealer that has been able to replicate the problem will not provide a replacement (rental) vehicle while they take 2 weeks to repair it. (neither will the other two dealers i've talked to, but they were not able to replicate the leak and so won't do anything anyway.)

So I've got a $42000 vehicle, with an obvious manufacturing defect, and Ford won't provide a temporary vehicle while they repair that defect.
Unfortunately, I can't be without a vehicle for two weeks, so I'm stuck driving it with the moldy smell and wet rear carpet/well. My guess is they just want to blow me off until the warranty expires... maybe I'm just too cynical, but that's my guess.

Thanks for reading my therapeutic (barely) rant ... at least it's not raining here anymore.

So my Explorer (still under original warranty) has the water leak into the headliner that runs down the rear seatbelt ... both sides.
The ONE dealer that has been able to replicate the problem will not provide a replacement (rental) vehicle while they take 2 weeks to repair it. (neither will the other two dealers i've talked to, but they were not able to replicate the leak and so won't do anything anyway.)

So I've got a $42000 vehicle, with an obvious manufacturing defect, and Ford won't provide a temporary vehicle while they repair that defect.
Unfortunately, I can't be without a vehicle for two weeks, so I'm stuck driving it with the moldy smell and wet rear carpet/well. My guess is they just want to blow me off until the warranty expires... maybe I'm just too cynical, but that's my guess.

Thanks for reading my therapeutic (barely) rant ... at least it's not raining here anymore.

TWO WEEKS to repair the water leak? I'm calling B.S. on that! Mine was fixed the same day - just a sealant application. Go to a different service center.

My 2000 ex has a sunroof leak. It leaks when it is totally went and I nose it down and all the water runs down the roof and leaks in my head at the drivers rear corner of the sunroof.
I tried replacing the glass with the seal and then when every time the truck leaned back slightly it would all rush out the back of the track.
I tried a whole new track with another glass and the same exact thing as the first time.
And yes the drain tubes are 110% clear.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see that this is 2011-2015 stock, but I figured I can add in my issues with mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with ExCrystal that 2 weeks is an unreasonable amount of time to get this repaired. As for not supplying a rental or replacement vehicle for that period, the Warranty Guide specifically states that a rental/replacement is not covered.

Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that
you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your
transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel,
telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial
property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or
consequential damages you may have.

Any such vehicle supplied by the dealer will be at their expense.

Peter

Back