Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

What tools are included for spare tire change?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by anony, July 12, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. GaborB

GaborB New Member

City, State:
    Budapest
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 4.0 SOHC XLT
    I have no spare tires :-( A 90liter toroid LPG is there in my Explorer. In the past 20 years I had never change for a spare tire on any of my cars.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. XLTrunner

XLTrunner Active Member

City, State:
    MN
    1998 Explorer XLT 4.0SOHC
    Ha...good point! I have easily logged well over a million miles in my various vehicles over the years and can only remember one time where I needed to change a tire outside the convenience of my own driveway/garage where I had access to my floor jack. But, I've always had a good spare on-board...and, a suitable jack just in case.

Who among you remembers the old bumper jacks? Those things were an accident waiting to happen if you weren't careful in proper placement of the base on the ground to accommodate for the "lean" of the post as the car's rearend was lifted high enough to get the tire off the ground on those long sedans of the 60's-early 70's...lol

Last edited: July 14, 2019
  4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    I can't even remember the last time I had an actual flat tire (1993 maybe?) I've had a couple of slow leaks over the years since, due to screws in tires, but I plugged them and I've never had to remove a tire to accomplish those repairs. Judging from the paint on the bottom of my '01 EB's jack it's never been used and the spare is a never touched the ground (original Firestone that should have been recalled).

5. 08 BlackAndTan

08 BlackAndTan New Member

City, State:
    Kenmore, WA
    08 Eddie Bauer 02 Sport
    Hi Anony, I might still have a spare set and Jack if you're interested I'll check after work and PM you if I still do (Was cleaning out the garage).

good news still in the recycling bin, pulled them out, let me know if you want them. I got a couple of sets from other 2dr Sports in the junk yards. because I wasn't sure if I had them in mine. found them when I pulled out the whole interior.

Last edited: July 16, 2019
  6. donalds

donalds Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Nc
    1999 ford explorer sohc
    Well that's nice of you:)

7. Justinwht

Justinwht Member

96 XLT, 00 XLS, 96 XLT
    Three things to mention - jack height, rod to crank down the spare, and don't use a hydraulic bottle jack.

I was driving on a back road and chip of ceramic roof tile got into the front tire. I drove a block and noticed it was going flat and pulled into a Lowe's parking lot. I have larger tires and the OEM bottle jack was too short. Walked into Lowe's and had them cut me up a length of 2x4" lumber to raise the jack. Put on the spare and had alarming dragging sound when I drove a foot. Stupid me...I put the tire on backwards with air steam on the inside. Duh...How did I miss that??? So if you have after-market larger tires, carry a few blocks of wood in the left rear jack compartment.

I don't recall the problem I had with the extension rods fitting, so I carry an adjustable slip-wrench in right side compartment to twist the rod and crank the spare down.

Ugh...Hydraulic bottle jacks. When you release the pressure they collapse, but not far enough to pull the jack out. I had to use my slip-wrench to unscrew the jack cap. The OEM bottle jack with a gear will retract fully when you crank it down. Until I find another gear'ed bottle jack, I carry a scissors jack (AC Delco branded) from O'Reilly's has one with a hex head I can use a socket and ratchet.