How hard/expensive is it to lower my 96 XLT? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How hard/expensive is it to lower my 96 XLT?

those $10 blocks suck, I would run cast iron only after seeing too many of the pock metal aluminum ones crack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer#2 said:
I am glad to see that you two are so pissed off, this was a harmless joke
I am not pissed
You did not yet reach your goal
Nor will you ever, I fear

410, I have the EE blocks, is there a problem I'm not aware of?

Not sure if there is a problem but I would not run aluminum (hollow) pock metal types on my trucks. They crack and pieces can fall out. Could be heavy abuse and towing :) but I figure they are cheap enough and those U bolts can be a PITA so why use the ones that break?
Superlift makes cast ones that are also tappered to help with the driveshaft angle. I believe they can be used to lower as well.

Every one has the right to their opinion and their preferance.

It is a shame when some one belittles or insults some one on taking up that right.

i am a college graduate as of this year- i don't think what i said was "grown up" or that i was trying ot sound grown up. I guess when you get your finances in order enough to have something to cruise and show you'll realize that people like you really are ruining that for the rest of us. If you are so "into" the hobby as one would assume by the umbrage you took to my suggestion you drive a stuck truck, and you have the skills to intern at a place like that etc., how come you can't find a way to make a bit of money off of your skills (as many of the other members here have in college, myself included) so that you can afford to lift your truck. Last time i checked a pa bodylift isn't exactly expensive. Maybe you need the money in order to pay for hooked on phonics though- i'm too lazy to quote but there are some creative "typos" in your signature that are quite shocking (particularly coming from a college student).

expo5.0 I am sory fro teh terrible tyops thta yuo fonud ni ym signtaure, but you know "ot" is nto ohw oyu spel "to". Adn I dont curusie if taht si waht uoy cal it, my crusieing is mostyl dnoe in fields nda ofroad, yse ym trcuk seas mroe ofroad actoin thna mnay litfed truckes. Another thing is that I am in a fraternity and I do work, but almost all of the money that I make goes to paying my dues, plus the interning job is not paying it is for the experience. And I don’t want a body lift I am going to do a TT, AAL, and shackles

we came to an agreement via pm eh?

only thing i want to ad- and this isn't directed "at" you, is that arguments over land use for offroading are just as much a part of the point i was trying to make as was "cruising" down at "uni" here in msp.

Explorer#2 said:
it looks a lot better up in the air, and off road it drives and handles better too. ;)

I thought I made sure to mention it's a V6 SOHC NON 4x4?
Apparently you do not read very well :confused:

I have seen several two wheel drive trucks and that would not stop me from lifting it, and you got your answer before I said anything. So I don’t know that you read too well either.

Torsion bolts out. AWD. Go for it.

Attachments

• DSC01105.JPG
    DSC01105.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 95

jtsmith said:
We aren't talking dragging frame with this mod, just a 2" drop and suspension work to get it handling more like a car. I would have bought a car, but with a bad back I have trouble getting up and out of low spots, where this vehicle lets me just slide out. And with the x-spec suspension, it handles very well, without too harsh of ride. AWD intact

Just please try to stay on topic, and don't question other peoples plans with your opinion, unless your opinion is a more efficient way to accomplish the goals of the thread.
BTW I hate mud, and NEVER drive on the stuff

Couldn't of said it better. Atleast this thread has people who seem to be respectful. I'm so used to all the other car forums I've been on where you don't even want to log onto the site anymore because all you see is people hatin on eachother rather than giving the best advice they can.

IAmTodd said:
Torsion bolts out. AWD. Go for it.

And what did you use to do yours again? That is looking really clean!
That's exactly what I want. Then I'll just need some nice wheels rather than the chrome stockies :D

FreeWheelin4x4 said:
Actually the question WAS answered. Post #2 to be exact.
Torsion Twist the front down, and use lift blocks in the back (sold at most auto parts stores). X's are spring UNDER axle so lift blocks will LOWER the ass end.
For about 10 bucks you can lower your X about 2 inches with blocks.

What all tools are needed? I do not own a single tool outside of the basic hammer, wrench, screw driver, and maybe some allen wrenches haha
When it comes to tools you can say I'm a pansy but I keep the women in bed regardless.... incase any were wondering lol :rolleyes:

That pic is with the rear end sag(came with the truck ;)) and the torsion bolts. I have raised the front up an inch though due to ride.

sweet truck Todd

Back