skid plate idea...

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
ok i thought of this route.. please give opinions on the strenghts and weaknesses, or thoughts on how i might do it better.

use this is for a transfer skid plate, all tubing will be slotted to slide over the plate to make a stronger joint. here is the pic. the angle iron will be bolted to the frame not welded. any ways i can do this for about 60 bucks let me know what you think.. i want to start on under armor this month.

Attachments

• skidplate.JPG
    skidplate.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 548

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Skid plate looks good. :thumbsup:

My real reason for posting was to tell you I got the URE video awhile ago, and never told you how much you ROCK for sending me a copy! Are you going to try and go to Crozet for the Annv. meet?

Alright, you can have your thread back :p

wheres that at?

oh does anyone see a problem with me using 1/2 tubing instead of 1/2 dom? i know the dom (or is is doim) is ten times stronger but its not something i can get in this area without special ordering for some reason. But over the next few weeks and or months i want to finsih my armor plating.

pipe would be fine for this. Its not going to be slammed on hard enough to need DOM. DOM would be ideal, but pipe would be much cheaper and would work fine. I think that they are short enough pieces to not need to worry about bends in them.

changing this up a little. i got the metal, and well that idea i had just sucks. so i started thinking. ok what else.. i took my 3 foot long thick a$$ pipe and say hmm... how about drop down from the sides at a 45 degree angle drill a hole in the angled piece and run my pipe straight acroos gusset it and call it good. but do this twice. once in front and once in the back and then weld a thinner plate in between and be done with it. or i can use the 1/4 inch plate i have in between the pipes or under it..

pics of my idea in no order. too bad i dont have a tube bender... anyone in the bragg area have one and feel like helping? I am skidplateing the thing before i do my SAS/WHATER LIFT cause i know i'll really mess stuff up if i dont

Attachments

• IMG_0083_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0083_640x480.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0084_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0084_640x480.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0086_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0086_640x480.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 409

y? my wheelin stlye has been liked to a hammer in a steel trash can tossed out the window at 90. so i need something a little stronger.

RazMiBlackZ28 said:
Why not just run the stock skid plate?
The stock skid plate is barely adequate for driving on unpaved roads let alone taking it offroad.. I would characterize the stock skid plate as a stone deflector to keep loose stones from contacting the case...

Back