make explorer as or more capable than a hummer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

make explorer as or more capable than a hummer

hourang

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Sport
ok i just had a chance to drive a hummer h2 when i was in vegas at this gm test drive offroad course. it was awesome!! they had 60deg incline & decline, 45deg turns, 18in cement wall to climb, and it handled it like nothing. i was wondering if its possible to have that capability in my explorer without spending oodles of money. what parts are required to do it? i know ill need bigger tires and some lift but is that it? i just dont know how hard it is to get an explorer to do that or if its even possible (at least without going SAS). thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JEFF!!!

Your truck is a very capable 4x4 and with the addition of some minor or wild upgrades it can really hold it's own off road! No foolin!

Have you seen some of the 91-94 (First Gen) Explorer's on this forum?

We do not consider the H2 a capable 4x4, they are too large too bulky, a Chevy Tahoe underneath, and the tie rods like to snap when you turn in the rocks.
The Hummer 3 is a more capable 4x4 then the H2, it is based on the Chevy Colorado platform but with some nice off road upgrades.

Your truck can get anything from a mild 2" suspension lift, to a 3-8" lift using drop brackets, a solid axle, or a long travel TTB.
You can add a 1-3" body lift to help fit big tires.

You can add traction devices to your front and rear differentials to make it a true 4x4.

Explorer's have a great wheelbase and drivetrain. the spring under live rear axle and twin traction beam front axle are stout and capable off road. It is all yours for the taking, you just have to start to look around. Your Ex can handle that dealers off road minature putt putt course better then you may think IMO.

:p

410Fortune said:
JEFF!!!

Your truck is a very capable 4x4 and with the addition of some minor or wild upgrades it can really hold it's own off road! No foolin!

Have you seen some of the 91-94 (First Gen) Explorer's on this forum?

We do not consider the H2 a capable 4x4, they are too large too bulky, a Chevy Tahoe underneath, and the tie rods like to snap when you turn in the rocks.
The Hummer 3 is a more capable 4x4 then the H2, it is based on the Chevy Colorado platform but with some nice off road upgrades.

Your truck can get anything from a mild 2" suspension lift, to a 3-8" lift using drop brackets, a solid axle, or a long travel TTB.
You can add a 1-3" body lift to help fit big tires.

You can add traction devices to your front and rear differentials to make it a true 4x4.

Explorer's have a great wheelbase and drivetrain. the spring under live rear axle and twin traction beam front axle are stout and capable off road. It is all yours for the taking, you just have to start to look around. Your Ex can handle that dealers off road minature putt putt course better then you may think IMO.

:p

hrm, i was kinda thinking i would get an answer like this, or at least hoping. i never tried anything like that in the explorer. they did have the h3's there too. i just liked how damn easy it was to climb a 60deg incline at like 1mph, i even stopped mid hill and it almost coulda idled it up it. i guess its time to find some hills like that in the exploder and test her out hehe.

Where's the pic of Gerrald climbing Launch Pad when you need it?
Somebody got the link?

take your explorer on that course.. then come back and ask questions. If you have any. i would say that an explorer with a good driver could take an H2, or at least give it a run for its money

hourang said:
hrm, i was kinda thinking i would get an answer like this, or at least hoping. i never tried anything like that in the explorer. they did have the h3's there too. i just liked how damn easy it was to climb a 60deg incline at like 1mph, i even stopped mid hill and it almost coulda idled it up it. i guess its time to find some hills like that in the exploder and test her out hehe.

Put your truck in low range, and then see how you handle the 60 deg incline. In low range, my Explorer has opened a few people's eyes as to what it could do :eek:

410Fortune said:
Where's the pic of Gerrald climbing Launch Pad when you need it?
Somebody got the link?
This one???
moab_geraldlion2.jpg

here are a few more since we are on his truck...
101GoldenCrackHerc.jpg

101gerald_1.jpg

101HercOnUpper2.jpg

Low range is awesome, makes wheeling soo much easier. Like everyone else said, your Explorer is very capable and doesn't take much to make it better. Last fall I ran a mountain trail with a couple land rovers on 32's - 33's I met at the trailhead. By the end of the day they were highly impressed with the explorer and even said that mine handled things better than theirs.

Back