what would it take to run 13s? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what would it take to run 13s?

as the title says...what would it take with awd 5.0? i plan on heads, but what would be best? no nitrous. was thinking motorsport x heads for the smaller ports to keep torque up, but should i be considering more flow like the performers rpms? can i do 13s without a supercharger? if i can get 350 hp (a good h/c/i should do that), calculators say i can, but i assume they are based upon a rear drive and likely a manual trans or high stall automatic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

who doesnt! Do they make a 331 badge?
with a 331 I could keep my stock block and build it myself, all I need is a ton of $$$!!!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Isn't it purty?

Attachments

• Emblem 2.jpg
    Emblem 2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 696

or even these

Attachments

• Emblem 3.jpg
    Emblem 3.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 679
  • Emblem 4.jpg
    Emblem 4.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 700
  • Emblem 5.jpg
    Emblem 5.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 669
  • Emblem 6.jpg
    Emblem 6.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 678

ooooooh in blue!

Jon, just trade me trucks and we'll be all set! that truck is what i want to see under the christmas tree this year! nice job with it. Between building my American Sedan 79 Mustang to compete in 2008 and constant upgrading of my 550+hp street terror 95 Mustang, i can only send spare parts to the Mounty. First task is removing the X-303 heads from the 95 for a set of TFS heads. Then, swapping the GT-40s off the Mounty for the X heads. Then, the GT-40s are going to be prepped for the rae car. its perfect because AS requires the use of these or the P heads. anybody want to do a few head swaps in a row with me?

if you use the powerdyne kit have fun balancing it with a stroker :)

this can put you into the 12's.....

Attachments

• P1010151.jpg
    P1010151.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 673

why would diet coke put you in the 12s? ....is that a snail to the right?

why would diet coke put you in the 12s? ....is that a snail to the right?

You drink the Diet Coke for weight loss, so you go faster... and the "snail" gives the power.

does anyone know why certain strokers can't be balanced to 50oz? yup, i'm looking into a 347! mmmm...torque!

A 28oz imbalance is what your standard for strokers will be. The 50oz stuff is basically not as precise that is why most engine builders don't use it for the high end stuff.

BTW. my truck has run a 8.53 in the 1/8th which by some simple math is around a 13.1 in the 1/4. Lets see something like turbo comes to mind. It can be done. Very easily. Check out my sig..-James

BTW-mine is a SOHC v-6

Jon, just trade me trucks and we'll be all set! that truck is what i want to see under the christmas tree this year! nice job with it. Between building my American Sedan 79 Mustang to compete in 2008 and constant upgrading of my 550+hp street terror 95 Mustang, i can only send spare parts to the Mounty. First task is removing the X-303 heads from the 95 for a set of TFS heads. Then, swapping the GT-40s off the Mounty for the X heads. Then, the GT-40s are going to be prepped for the rae car. its perfect because AS requires the use of these or the P heads. anybody want to do a few head swaps in a row with me?

any updates on the buid?

update...not a damm thing done. there just isn't enough time in the day or money in the bank. i had started a kitchen remodel about the time i posted this originally and figured it might take a month. well, a month is looking like all winter. i am beginning to rethink my head swap-orama. i don't want to spend another 2 months trying to retune the mustang with different heads, so i think i'll just buy a set for the mounty. i did pick out my cam though. crane cams powermax 2020 #444211. more lift than i anticipated (.530), but the crane guy assures me that with short duration and high lift, torque is going to be big. who am i to argue? i do like the different durations on intake and exhaust and the LSA is a very EEC friendly 112.

anywho, i think the mounty project is going to take place in spring now. til then, its the mundain grocery getter.

yeah, nothing done. busy fighting fires elsewhere. i just drive that lazy dog everywhere.

i am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and tearing down an old deck and if that wasn't enough, replacing the engine in my track car. i have a nice cam from my old track car engine and one x head (the other was demolished in the demise of my last engine) that would be great for the mounty...well, if i could find a cheap 2nd head and some time to do it all. maybe next year?

Cant wait to see the results... Im aiming for the 12's this time next year!!

Plans change don't they? The Explorer 50oz. balancer is usable, but most stroker cranks are not made with sufficient extra steel in them to drill out for balancing non 28oz. engines. It takes more meat in a crankshaft to be able to drill and fill enough holes in the crank to balance with a 50oz. balancer. To change the weight from the designed balance, holes are drilled in the crank, and then Mallory metal is welded into those holes.

The stroker cranks are generally designed for a Mustang balance weight set of parts, the 28oz. balancer and flywheel/flexplate.

For reaching 13's, raise the compression ratio as much as your gas can handle, like 10.5:1, add cubic inches, have a proper camshaft selected for you. A PCM flasher will be required, the same XCal I or XCal II will work on all of the OBDII Fords. You should likely plan for a wide band O2 sensor and laptop, and software, for data logging and tuning. The stock GT40 heads are good enough if ported by someone like Mike Shultz. The stock intake is great just like it is, it's better than any stock Ford intake.

Drool on this, check out their other auctions, I'm planning to buy their $699 heads with a better valve job. Good luck,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...ryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRO-...ryZ33617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

yeah, nothing done. busy fighting fires elsewhere. i just drive that lazy dog everywhere.

i am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and tearing down an old deck and if that wasn't enough, replacing the engine in my track car. i have a nice cam from my old track car engine and one x head (the other was demolished in the demise of my last engine) that would be great for the mounty...well, if i could find a cheap 2nd head and some time to do it all. maybe next year?

There was one X head listed for sale at theturboforums.

Back