• Register Today It's free!

An upgrade from the 4.0 v6 SOHC?

97GoldXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Gouverneur, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I'm in need of a new engine, but I have no clue about any better ones out there, I've done a lot of searches, but I'm really not very engine smart, can anyone suggest a better one?

Fuel economy doesnt matter
4 wheel drive one
I wouldent mind going to a v8
Also willing to buy a new tranny to support it!

ANY help would be useful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go to a 5.0 swap... they came stock in the awd explorers and 2wds... they are stout.... and the swap isnt that bad, there are several threads about this

Somewhere in the for sale ads is a v-8 running dodnor truck, in NY no less

I think it was 800 for the whole thing-you could unbolt your body from the frame--do the same with the other truck and put your body on the "new" v8 chassis

go to a 5.0 swap... they came stock in the awd explorers and 2wds... they are stout.... and the swap isnt that bad, there are several threads about this

So go for a 5.0 SOCH? I'll do some research, thanks!

what's the difference between a 5.0 and 4.0?

So go for a 5.0 SOCH? I'll do some research, thanks!

what's the difference between a 5.0 and 4.0?

Whoa !--back up a bit

The ad I linked is a 5.0 which is a OHV or pushrod engine or better known as a 302

there were 2 -4.0 engines in explorers--sohc and an OHV

To my knowledge there is no such animal as a 5.0 SOHC engine

The 4.6 SOHC v8 engine from 2002+ explorer will not fit without extensive modification.

Whoa !--back up a bit

The ad I linked is a 5.0 which is a OHV or pushrod engine or better known as a 302

there were 2 -4.0 engines in explorers--sohc and an OHV

To my knowledge there is no such animal as a 5.0 SOHC engine

The 4.6 SOHC v8 engine from 2002+ explorer will not fit without extensive modification.

The one I have now is a 4.0 SOHC v6 (or atleast that's what it says on top of the engine)

Will a 5.0 OHV fit into my '97 XLT? You did say that a 5.0 SOHC doesnt exist right? Just making sure ha, I apologize for being dumb :p

He was sayin that there is no 5.0 SOHC. If you wanted to swap from another explorer for a v8 youd get the 5.0 OHV out of any year before 2002 i believe. that would be the easiest anyway.

If you want a v8 in that truck forget the SOHC part-it won't happen

SOHC=Single Over Head Cam
OHV=Over Head Valve

Now--study:D

Ok, I looked up the differences between the two from http://www.samarins.com/glossary/dohc.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_valve and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_cam and I kinda get it, but that's only with about 20 minutes of reading...

how much more powerful in your opinion would a 5.0 OHV v8 be then my current 4.0 SOHC v6?

BTW, thanks for informing me on this, I now consider myself a little less clueless lol

Ok, I looked up the differences between the two from http://www.samarins.com/glossary/dohc.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_valve and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_cam and I kinda get it, but that's only with about 20 minutes of reading...

how much more powerful in your opinion would a 5.0 OHV v8 be then my current 4.0 SOHC v6?

BTW, thanks for informing me on this, I now consider myself a little less clueless lol

A lot-
and, a v8 parts dollar goes a LOT farther than a v6 dollar

A lot-
and, a v8 parts dollar goes a LOT farther than a v6 dollar

OK, awesome, One final question and I'll get outta your hair for awhile..

If I purchase a v8 OHV engine from before 2002, it should fit into my current chassy and tranny and everything else right? or do I need to replace the tranny for the new engine?

OK, awesome, One final question and I'll get outta your hair for awhile..

If I purchase a v8 OHV engine from before 2002, it should fit into my current chassy and tranny and everything else right? or do I need to replace the tranny for the new engine?

yes, no, and yes

you will need to swap more than just the engine-

Looks like you have time though-try looking around on the forum
v8 swap has been discussed-and performed

^^^^up there is a search button. Study--
All of your questions have been answered already.

Or Just trade yours for a V8 it might be an incentive with the gas prices...

Oh What about a 5.0L DOHC

m-6007-t50ea.jpg

97goldxlt, I do not want to appear to be the brutally honest guy but it seems you are VERY new to modding and engines in general. I think it will be best to rebuild the 4.0 SOHC you have and then maybe do bolt on mods from there. I get the impression that doing a 5.0 swap would be somewhat out of your league.

You may not want to hear what I just said but I have a feeling that my advice will end up saving you money in the long run if you started the 5.0 swap and wasn't able to complete it and then had to revert back to the original 4.0 SOHC engine and matching tranny.

Good luck with whatever you do.

97goldxlt, I do not want to appear to be the brutally honest guy but it seems you are VERY new to modding and engines in general. I think it will be best to rebuild the 4.0 SOHC you have and then maybe do bolt on mods from there. I get the impression that doing a 5.0 swap would be somewhat out of your league.

You may not want to hear what I just said but I have a feeling that my advice will end up saving you money in the long run if you started the 5.0 swap and wasn't able to complete it and then had to revert back to the original 4.0 SOHC engine and matching tranny.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Oh, trust me, I AM pretty in-experienced with under the hood mechanics, I was thinking of taking some suggestions that I get from here and asking some mechanics that I know (and that I know are capable) about it and seeing what they thought!

Thanks for the advice!

Or Just trade yours for a V8 it might be an incentive with the gas prices...

Oh What about a 5.0L DOHC

m-6007-t50ea.jpg

Oh wow, where do I pick up one of those babies!?

Horsepower!? :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back