17" Explorer wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

17" Explorer wheels

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These are wheels from an '01 explorer? If the center whole in the 17" wheels are big enough to fit over the hub on your '91 then you should be fine. You'll have the hubs sticking out though and would need to find or modify center caps to fit over them though.

The center caps can be made to work

ford changed to a hubless system in 95

2002 16" explorer wheels

Located a good deal on craigslist. Will 16" wheels from a 2002 explorer fit my 1991 XLT w/o spacers? If not what spacers will I need.

No, you will need a 5/16" spacer.

Thanks

Nope...its the same. Escape is slighty different

Here is how it sits with the spacers. It has them in the front, none in the rear. From my experince with this, I suggest you do not run them without spacers. The rear will rub the parking brake cable on the drives side and also the tire will rub the inner fender. Up front they will rub the upper a-arm nearly all the time. The lower a-arm at full lock.

Just noticed, mines a different body style. Same deal tho.

Explorer037.jpg

Your explorer is a different year but my understanding is the wheel assembly was the same until 01 I believe. So it should work Haven't recieved word on the sale yet but if not I'll still look for 17".

"ford changed to a hubless system in 95"

How much work is it to convert my 91 to a hubless design like 95?

Back