Speaker Replacement

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
I'm wanting to replace my stock speakers with better ones, my stereo says 220W.. so what kind of speakers do I get? Do I get 250W? or is there something weird I'm not realizing? so I get like 110w? im so confused with this wattage stuff..
The sticky says 5x7 I think, but some people have said other sizes.. what exactly are the stock size for speakers?
98 xlt, not premium (i dont have an amp thing in the cargo area)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search Google.. plenty of info about power ratings and calculation including PMPO and so on. If the headunit is aftermarket, you can also on on the company's website, look up the manual for the headunit, and get more specs on it.

As for the speaker size, go on Crutchfield and input your vehicle model, make and year -- that'll tell you the speaker size.

This is all confusing... shouldn't it be as easy as just, hey.. the stereo says 220, i should get 220's? or the closest i can find? 250's?

See we dont know what that 220 is.. if its PMPO, RMS or what. If the head unit says 220 watts, then get a hold of the manual from that company's website and find out what that 220 is. And from there read up on Wikipedia or other audio sites on the net, that'll teach you how to calculate the whole thing and how to put together a well balanced system for the right amount of cash.

So take a deep breath, chillax and do your research -- there are plenty of websites out there that will more than fill your head with the info you need.

Okay so look at the bottom of page 20 of that PDF:
Power Output: 17 Watts RMS x 4 channels at 4 ohms

Now you just have to figure out what that means ;).

Is there any kind of calculator?.. Google isn't helping much, it gives me places to buy stuff... =\

You dont really NEED a calculator, you can just go out, look for some 4ohm speakers thats rated for at least 25 or so RMS, and you should be good to go. Read reviews on whatever speakers you come up with cauz a third of the speakers out there are sub-par.

But what would be worth your time is understanding how RMS, PMPO, SNR, and ohm ratings relate to each other. Hit up google and type in something like "choosing speakers RMS".

What kinda wiki do I look up? What should I search for on howstuffworks?.. lol

Read my previous post again, I edited it. The last sentence has an example of a Google query.

I read a little bit... I'm still confused..

Well read more :D

I've been doing this stuff for a while, Im not an audiophile by any means, but I am just now learning how to match things together. Crutchfield has a lot info. If you get bored you could probably call them up and ask them what to get, tell them your price range and they could probably hook you up. RMS is one of the most important numbers, forget peak power, it doesn't really mean much. My suggestion would be to look at the pioneer speakers that are made for Ford vehicles, they are 5x7/6x8 and should work fine for your set up. I also have bass blockers connected to all 4 speakers to keep the bass from going through the speakers, and to let my sub produce all the lows. It makes a big difference in clarity.

Dan

Hmm... Can't wait until I get money back from taxes..

basically any speaker will work...some will be louder than others...also the 70 percent of the sound from a speaker is in the install. A crappy install can make 300 dollars sound like poo but a good install can make a 50 dollar speaker sound awesome. Heres an example...I used to think my 50 dollar a pair Kenwood 2 ways sounded ok because the bass was weak and there wasn't much midbass...but after doing some major deadening to my front doors the dynamics are MUCH better and they sound as loud and as good as my friends JL 6.5 components costing 350 dollars...and I'm not even done deadening the doors. Speakers must have a solid mounting surface if you want good sound.
100_5715.jpg

What is your budget and we can recommend some speakers...Head units can never put out "50 + watts x 4"...this is just a marketing scam to think they have 200+ watt head units so people will buy them.

Back