• Register Today It's free!

What is the best brush guard?

willys5555

Reaction score
City, State
Spring TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I want to get something for the front of my 1997 Ford Explorer. I really want to get a brush guard. Where do you get the best ones at? I want one that i can get for cheap as possible. Also I was looking at just a grill guard or a light bar. If you have any of these could you post pictures of them so i can get an idea of what i might want? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aight well i was just asking everyones opinions. Thanks for your reply though

I've got a regular old grill guard that I bought from a member here at EF. I think its looks pretty good, makes it look more aggressive.

0711071143a.jpg

0711071142.jpg

man that looks good. i want to get one just like that. how difficult was it to put on? and how much did you buy it for? looks great man. cant wait to get mine.

I've always wanted one, but with my lower valance removed.. it would look weird as hell.. and come down too low for comfort..

o yea i never thought about that. i have my lower valence off also. i guess there is no way to modify it to make it go up higher. hmm.... i am going to have to try and figure that one out. does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

you COULD cut it, and re-made the lower portion so it's perfect.. but that would be a lot of work..

o yea and that runs the risk of just ruining the whole thing. haha. with my luck i probably would. does anyone have any plans where they made their own light bar, brush guard, grill guard? that would be good. i might be able to make my own. but i dont have a tube or pipe bender. could i make it with out these? is there anyway to bend it with out them? Thanks for all of yalls help.

Could go to a body shop with a design and you could have them make it, the price is up to them though... would be custom though which is cool..

man that looks good. i want to get one just like that. how difficult was it to put on? and how much did you buy it for? looks great man. cant wait to get mine.

It wasn't too bad to put on. I decided spur of the moment to throw it on one day when I saw it sitting next to my garage so I hadn't used any PB Blaster or anything. Bolts were a b*tch to get out because of that. Busted a few knuckles. But overall it took like 45 minutes or so, with 15 minutes of that getting up and going back and forth trying to find sockets that fit. I got it for a steal, a member had it on his wife's 01 sport for a few months but I took it off his hands for $100 :confused:. and he was only about 30 minutes from me so I didn't have to ship either...

It wasn't too bad to put on. I decided spur of the moment to throw it on one day when I saw it sitting next to my garage so I hadn't used any PB Blaster or anything. Bolts were a b*tch to get out because of that. Busted a few knuckles. But overall it took like 45 minutes or so, with 15 minutes of that getting up and going back and forth trying to find sockets that fit. I got it for a steal, a member had it on his wife's 01 sport for a few months but I took it off his hands for $100 :confused:. and he was only about 30 minutes from me so I didn't have to ship either...

wow then u got it for a good deal. but i dont know how wierd it will look with the lower valence off. maybe i will make a custom one. :D if i can get my welder working again. it goofed up on my a couple months ago and i gave up on it. maybe it is time to get it back out. haha

Brush Guard for a limited

I have a 1996 Limited. I want to know what brush guard will fit my car. I know that the bumper is different, so i am not sure if a brush guard that would fit a 96 explorer would still fit a limited. Does anyone know? Thank you! :usa:

It'll bolt to the frame, no need to worry about the bumper.

So what are yall opinions on what looks the best on the Explorers? I really like the brush guards but sometimes they look too big for the car. I have even possibly been thinking about just a grille guard or lightbar for the front. But I just dont know which style to go with. Thanks for yalls help.

It's all personal preference. I personally like the brush guard.. but it has to be the right type... headlight guards, with the bars, shaped for the Explorer...ect...

But I wouldn't put one on without a lower valance, it would look like crap.. IMO...

Safari bars look nice, but once again... lower valance....

I'm in the same position as you, I don't know what I'm going to do..

For the 2nd Gens I think that the WAAG brush guard looks the best. Like the one on Gerald's truck here. That's what I'm planning to eventually get. I don't think it would look too weird with the lower valance removed either because it doesn't come down that far.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 4,944

Does anyone have a pic of a Safari Bar or Brush guard on without the Lower Valance?

I had a Manik on mine for a few years. Held up well, even to a few bumps. Has a few rust spots, but nothing bigger than a few millimeters that was taken care of with some touch up paint. I would recommend it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '97 XL

I think the valence removed makes it look a bit meaner.

Attachments

• vbpgimage.jpg
    vbpgimage.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 961

Back