• Register Today It's free!

interesting power steering leak

dynamite196

Reaction score
City, State
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Hey guys need a little help diagnosing this one, seems as if the rack is leaking through the tie rod boot and spraying all over the control arm. Has anyone seen something like this happen before? I replaced both the pump and rack in the fall and all was great up until now when i found this leak a couple days ago.

Attachments

• explorer leak.JPG
    explorer leak.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 745

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that leak is something above the rack, so open the hood and check out whats above the driver's wheel well area.

Ditto, it looks like it is dripping down onto those parts.

Check power steering and brake fluid. Especially if your plastic fender well/engine compartment separator is missing or busted.
I had a brake fluid leak under the master cylinder that looked a lot like this. If you cant find it, wash out around and above the area to remove all fluids and drive around for a 10 minutes. Then check to see if you have new leakage.

I'm still calling a bad rack-
look how wet it is all the way up the inner tie rod.
and-you can see it coming out of the boot
Not to mention, he said it was coming out of the boot.

If the end seal was out-which this one is-it would spray all over when turning-

the leak is definitely coming out of the boot, it looks like it might be coming from above b/c when driving all the air flow sprays the oil everywhere. I think i'm going to give some of the lucas stop leak a try and if that doesn't help I'll be replacing the rack again. It was a POS autozone remanufactured one so it's under warranty although it's gonna cost me all my labor again.

Don't waste your time with the Lucas magic cure. It won't work.

You need a new rack.

Well if the fluid is coming out of the rack, then the power steering fluid must be low -- have you checked that?

One way or the other, if the rack is leaking and it's under warranty you might as well replace it. You might be able to get the store to pay for the labor if that is a concern, and if they refuse... Really, putting the rack in is very easy and requires no special tools. You will need a wheel alignment immediately afterwards though.

the leak is definitely coming out of the boot, it looks like it might be coming from above b/c when driving all the air flow sprays the oil everywhere. I think i'm going to give some of the lucas stop leak a try and if that doesn't help I'll be replacing the rack again. It was a POS autozone remanufactured one so it's under warranty although it's gonna cost me all my labor again.

If you can get your money back get a motorcraft one. Shop around, some dealers will cut you a break. Also, check motorcraft.com and see if you have a local motorcraft wholesaler. They usually give better prices. Big box Reman racks are crap, even the shops avoid them. I heard them tell a customer in a shop they will save like $100 but they must waive any labor warranty.

if you did the work on the new rack then i would say to not even bother with the hassle your gonna get with trying to get a replacement and if its just leaking from the boot(bellows) then just buy one online at oreillys thats where i got mine from(moog bellows-$15.99+ tax) and now no ps leak
attatched is a pic of the bellows kit i bought

P.S. i went ahead and also bought new tie rod ends just to get them out of the way since they have to be removed to replace the bellows good luck!!:thumbsup:

If the PS fluid is coming from the boot there, the seal is gone on the rack...

is there a broken seal or does it have a hole thats leaking??

squeeze the bellows while the truck is running and see the exact point of the leak

mine had a hole about the size of a papermate pen head

There should be no fluid at all in those boots, they are simply dust boots to keep debris from reaching the seal in the rack.

both of my boots have fluid in them if not my ps sounds like sh*t

I am unsubscribed, the original poster is not being helped and the member above doesn't understand the rack/boot system. Night all,

both of my boots have fluid in them if not my ps sounds like sh*t
CDW6212R is correct juggaloscorpio -- those boots should not have fluid in them. If there is, then the rack is leaking. The boots are only there to protect the seal from dust and road grime.

CDW6212R is correct juggaloscorpio -- those boots should not have fluid in them. If there is, then the rack is leaking. The boots are only there to protect the seal from dust and road grime.

yep, if you have any fluid in that boot you are in trouble lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

went and picked up a new rack yesterday, went with the same autozone crap just b/c it's under warranty. Another potential problem might be I used power steering fluid when I did the change instead of the specd ATF based on a buddy's recommendation. The steering never was quite right, it took about 6 months to break in and during the winter was VERY stiff. I'm going to go back to the ATF this time and hope that solves the problem. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the help.

Back