Night shades? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Night shades?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

seems like it would do what I'd want.

Doesn't say how many cans you'd need
Also Id like to see a lens with one coat, 2 coats etc compared to the original.

Id like to tint mine but don't want them black. Just toned down a little.

I have seen others spray their lenses that looked great but not sure if they used this product.

Good find! I'm gonna go for it.

Good find! I'm gonna go for it.

:)

There could be a little money to be had with this if you can do it well and keep it from fading. Junk yard tail lights, clean 'em up, tint them, sell em. Just a thought.

I have seen a buddy use them and they looked excellent with the same nightshades product

It's good. I love it.

Great guys, thanks. Got it ordered. Ill update on my results.

don't forget the clear coat!!!

This makes the difference, put 6 or 7 layers and use some 1500 and 2000 wet sand and put some rubbing compound like meguiars scratch-x and you'll get factory smoke.

OK here is before and after. I'm gonna get a couple more cans and do the headlights and the 3rd brake light in rear door. So far I love it, just hope it sticks.

012.jpg

013-1.jpg

Looks great Jutgin,
My only worry is that it looks very dark, how are they when the lights are actually on?
And braking....?

Ben

Looks great Jutgin,
My only worry is that it looks very dark, how are they when the lights are actually on?
And braking....?

Ben

ditto, I wanna know too as I intend to use nightshades as well

I'm curious too! It's not dark here yet! haha! I'll know in a couple of hours, hopefully its good or I'll be looking for something to take it off with.

hahaha...
Well, keep us up to date.

How many coats did you use anyway?

Ofcourse I should have mentioned I didnt have to put so much on. I just like that look. You can out on the amount you want, I should have taken pics between coats. At first it was just smoked a bit. And I kept going and going and going.....

hahaha...
Well, keep us up to date.

How many coats did you use anyway?

Well I would say about 4 good coats. It says not use more than 3. I like to push the limits sometimes.

I think it will be fine. Seems bright enough to me, What do you guys think?

Just tail lights
014-1.jpg

Now with the brake lights
015-1.jpg

My friend used this stuff on his talon, and it does come out very dark. Also needs a clear coat, unless you want flat black taillights.

For anybody who doesn't want to do this, because it seems to dark, here's what to do. Mix up some clear coat and black paint. Spray taillights. Then spray with clear coat. By mixing the black and the clear, you are able to control how dark you want to make it better.

Not the best picture (cropped cell phone pic) but it shows how you can control the tint better with this method, creating a "shaded" rather than "blacked out", for those who prefer that
taillights.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good

Back