5.0L swap...which mounts are better? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L swap...which mounts are better?

sweet simple... next :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you bought the right ones!

finally got some time on the computer and looked some stuff up. you got the exact right mounts to use!

ill explain them for anyone who may find this thread i future:

Advanceadapters/James Duff sell these:
MOTOMNT.jpg

notice the shape and design... these mounts closely resemble stock replacment mounts for foxbody (1987-1993) mustang coupes, in fact some have said that is exactly what they are, stock replacments, repackaged and sold buy AA. they look like this: (image from partstrain.com)
EM-2682.jpg

most of the people you talk too/threads you read, will say that the convertible mounts are prefered because they are more sturdy:
(image1-partstrain, image 2-summit)
EM-2726.jpg

ptp-6-501_w.jpg

you can see the obviously sturdier construction on the convertible style mounts

anyway i hope this can help out any future swap'ers!

Matt

edit: i have looked around and the 200$ that AA/JD asks is REDICULOUS! the stock rubber replacement mounts AND transmission mount can be had for as little as 67$ all together!

and if you step up the the polyeurethane the set can be had on summitracing.com for 160$

Another edit: here is a pic that can help people rap there minds around this whole motor mount buisiness:
motormounts.jpg

wow whats that a Gen II?

Those mounts look good, and yes Advance Adapters simply re-boxes teh Ford parts and sells them as conversion mounts = RIP OFF

no that's a foxbody but it looks preety much the same as an ex. Cept for that rack and pinion :drool:

Jt, do you mean one that's installed on an ex or just a picture of one in general?

JT knows what a stock trans mount looks like :)
Hes asking about the urethane mount mentioned earlier.

There are urethane trans mounts that will work for us JT with some fabbing, no direct bolt ins though...

Well my Dual Sump Pan arrived last week, and my mounts are due in today or tomorrow.

Then I need to finalize on a transmission selection and then I can drop it all into place...

Ryan

JT knows what a stock trans mount looks like :)
Hes asking about the urethane mount mentioned earlier.

There are urethane trans mounts that will work for us JT with some fabbing, no direct bolt ins though...

Yeah-that's what I am getting at--
Jamie-how much clearance do you have between the skid plate and transfer case? I can tell when the trans mount goes it will make a heck of a racket on my truck-I think I have about 1/8" of clearance. I would like a stiffer mount I think-it did clunk a couple of times under stress-

Energy urethane mount for an AOD could be made to work I believe

I am not sure about that clearance.
My driveshaft was hitting my gas tank! the mount was so worn and allowed alot of play.
I loosened the mount and actually moved my trans over a little bit (Pry bar) then tightened it back down, sp far no hitting.....

I got a factory replacement mount from Napa for $18, I have not installed it just yet. Heck before yesterday I hadnt driven the explorer in a month or so! LOL
Yesterday I took her in and got her emissioned..... the 96 will be going back in the garage to fix a few issues before fall, steering shaft hitting header (removing ceramic coating = sucks) trans mount fubar, and noisy lifter....
When I do this I will check the skid plate.

You can easily space the skid plate down from your frame a bit using some fender washers if you need another 1/8"

Hhmm I though all the ford trans mounts were pretty much the same...

Just a red rectangle with some metal bits.

I'll get some pics of the set I ordered when I get home from work and use my comp.

Edit: Holy Heck 888 posts! Does this mean I win a prize?

sorry guys no pics yet.

My router is receiving no data what soever from my ISP. So I can't get online

here is pictures!!

1221267779.jpg

1221267856.jpg

1221267828.jpg

And here is the trans mount for JT.

1221267912.jpg

And here is the engine they will be holding up.. just got it today

1221256093.jpg

Oh yeah...I got pictures too.....with the obligatory Ford **** in the backround...

Ryan

Saaaweet

buy the way that oil pan you got is a heck of a deal.

I will buy one also. Thank you for showing me!

Nice collection, and is that trans mount for any Explorer, or just the pre 95's?

I think it's fairly universal. But that kit was for a foxbody I think.

Ask Jamie if that will work, I wanted something besides the stock trans mount, it's an odd dimension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it actually mounts upside down.

With the beveled edges against the crossmember and the plate against the trans.

Back