5.0L purchased! Mods next... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L purchased! Mods next...

Skip all the fan and water pump crap. Go electric now :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay....

Yes, I will be going Electric on the fan....numerous tests have proved that it gives you anywhere from 7-17 hp....depending on the output of the motor, and how much of a drag the the fan creates.

I have gotten all the 'hard' parts sourced for the top end of the motor.

Now I need to get the electronics situated, and go from there....

Ryan

When doing this swap, why would one choose a returnless fuel system, over a Return Style? Which is EASIER to deal with? Easier to install?

This is my first all-out non-stock EFI engine swap.

The other engine swaps I did were all carb'd, with an in-tank pump, and a return style regulator.

Ryan

Your truck has a return style fuel system, why would the returnless be easier to install?

I realize that I currently have a return style, but in the long run, is there any ADVANTAGE to a return-less style? If there is no real advantage, then I'll just keep it the way it is...

Are my fuel lines going to be sufficient enough to feed a 350-400hp 347? Or should I upgrade them now....I have some -6 (3/8") line here, but will have no problem with buying -8 (1/2") if I need to. What size is the stock fuel line?

Ryan

I heard that the returnless is better because it keeps more fuel on the injector side of the system. That way when you go WOT you don't have to wait for more fuel to pump from the tank. But I don't know for sure.

lightning pump, 24# injectors you should be fine.

Lightning pump? I have already swapped gas tanks, now I have a tank from a `98 or `99 X. Does the Lightning Pump have the right dimensions to work in that tank?

24# injectors? From what I can figure, I'll need 30#. Remember, it's not going to be your basic bolt-on modded 302, its 347, aluminum heads, 10-10.5:1 CR, 350hp to the wheels....Do you still think I can get away with 24's?

Ryan

im sure 30#ers' wouldnt hurt

NEXT question:

To EGR, or not to EGR....THAT is the question.

Ryan

to be legal, or not be legal, the question that is.

In NC you only have to pass a visual test (for cars older then 96), which means you can have any motor, any cam, as long as the cats, and any other factory style EGR is present.

otherwise a 5.0 with no cats is SICK, i only can image what a 347 would sound like.

Wasn't there ever a Non-EGR 5.0L put into the Explorers? I know I can get ahold of a Non-EGR GT-40 Lower Intake, and they CLAIM it's from a Explorer.

I dunno.

I also don't have to comply to any emissions standards, or testing in my area. And becasue of that, I PROBABLY won't run any cats either.

Ryan

the upper and lowers from a later 98+ explorer 5.0 have no egr because its all external. 96-97 had internal EGR

So which set-up would be better? Less Complex to install?

I'm thinking of going with Internal now...

Ryan

Back