5.0L purchased! Mods next...

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
As the title says, I've just completed the acquisition of a 5.0L. I purchased a 1988 Lincoln Town Car, with a 5.0L that has only 44k on it. The AOD transmission on the other hand is the original trans, with 165k on it, and it's a little (okay, 'alottle') on the worn side...

I know the `88 5.0L's were a Speed Density system, so the FIRST thing I have to do is convert it a MAF. To do that, I need to buy a MAF (duh!) the MAF pigtail, and of course a MAF ECM.

I also plan on swapping the whole upper end. Aluminum Heads (GT40-x303), Intake (Cobra/Explorer), and Cam (Steeda #18?)

Also in the works is a Viper-spec T-56 Transmission.

I have asked this before, but not ever gotten an answer:

Has ANYONE ever swapped a T-56 into a First Gen Explorer/Ranger/BII?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know. :)
Why? What is your concern with running that transmission?

Sounds like you have a great plan!!

I dont know how you are planning to convert it but i looked into it for my truck and didnt think it was worth the cost. I have foud 5.0s with maf on them in wrecked cars for cheaper than the conversion. If yo have any better ideas let me know though cuz i am still interested in the conversion. thx-tom

You can convert them with junk yard parts = not very much $$$ at all.
He listed the parts required, you have to run some wires to the PCM and change out the PCM = DONE.

My main concern with transmission is the shifter location. Looking @ the Tremec website, I have the specs, and measurements, but I don't have the specs & measurements for the M5OD1 Transmission that I have now. So I don't know how different the shifter location will be for the T-56.

The SD to MAF conversion is supposed to be SUPER easy....supposedly, if you can install a whole stereo system, and swap out an alternator....this conversion is cake....we'll see.

The ECM that I'm after is the A9L (89-93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd). I will be using an aftermarket (73 or 76mm) MAF....

Other parts I will be using is the Torque Monster Headers, L&L Mounts, Custom Radiator, Electric Fan.....

More to come....

Ryan

Is that a 6 speed? That would be dope! :cool:

yes that is the pan but you also need the pickup tube, just go to the dealer or junk yard

Wow....that was a quick response!

Yeah, I'm doing a 6spd Manual Transmission.

Mcleod makes the adapter to mate a Viper T-56 to my 5.0L

Thanks again...

Ryan

Appearantly my `88 TownCar already has the Dual Sump Oil Pan....didn't know that until I looked under the car

more parts collecting info:

Should I get a 96+ Ford Explorer Spec. Timing Cover, and run the short length accesories, OR run the standard timing cover, and accessories?

How much space do I save by runing the X-spec cover? Is it a matter of the difference between putting the radiator IN the core support, or in BEHIND it, like the factory did?

I won't be running, nor will I want to run under drive pulleys, so if that is the only reason to NOT run the X-spec timing cover, than it's a no-brainer.

I was thinking of getting an X-pec timing cover, and of course a New Water Pump.

I would like the look to be as factory as possible.....with a few twists...I'll be using a REAL GT-40 intake (like the ones used on the Lightnings, w/ individual tubes), X303 Heads, and TorqueMonsters Headers......oh yeah....It's gooa be a 347 too...

I just sold my ~400hp Oldsmobile motor, so now I have the $$ to build up this Ford.....

After I get this done, I just may swap to EFI on my motorhome...it's a 1976 351W

Ryan

I'll be using a REAL GT-40 intake

I think that is every 302 Explorer owners dream! Well, atleast mine.

I can't wait to see this finished! Good luck.

This thing is going to be nasty. I didnt see if you planned on any internal modifications? cam kit maybe?

Internal Mods?.......030 over, and stroking to 347cu. in.

I will have a custom ground cam, spec's tol be kept top secret.....

I just want a Naturally Aspirated, solid 12 second SUV, that gets 20 mpg (hiway)...is that REALLY too much to ask?....(okay.maybe a LITTLE spray to get it into the 12's will be used....LOL)

Ryan

Is there any write-up on converting a 1st gen X to 5.0L? I have a 1989 Mustang GT that is just dying to get rid of her 5.0 for a 408W and the Explorer could use a little more power. Thanks.

okay guys...Here's the intake I bought, and will be using..

22536-1503-34495.jpg

22536-1503-34496.jpg

You like? LOL

GT40........a REAL GT40 intake....since the Explorer intake is SUPPOSED to flow as good as this intake, and it has the same offset round pattern, this has been since called the 'Tubular GT-40' intake.

Ryan

Searched....

Can a Factory Explorer V8 Radiator fit in the STOCK location on a 1st gen? That is IF I use the Explorer front engine accessories....And use the L&L motor mounts?

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO.
the second gen radiator support is different from your first gen, the second gen radiator is REALLY TALL compared to a first gen.

Now there are ALOT of different ways to fit a radiator woth a 5.0L in your gen I
Using the serpentine front dress is a HUGE bonus for gaining room for a fan.
With this setup you can LIKELY use a 4.0L HD radiator and it will cool your 5.0L just fine.
My BII is lacking about 3" of depth (from firewall to rad core support) when compared to a Gen I Ex, that 3" would have allowed me to use a 4.0L radiator and save alot of $$$ and issues, HOWEVER I am not sure if the 5.0L mechanical fan and clutch will fit, you may have to go electric OR move your engine back a bit more then just bolting in the L&L mounts. It is a VERY common mod for guys to modify the L&L mounts to push the 5.0L back another .5-1"

Check the V8 conversion forums to see all sorts of different front dress and cooling options, frmo a custom radiator like my truck to fit to complete removal of the radiator core support to shove a stock like radiator in there. It has ALL been done. My plan was to retain the 5.0L AC system using a hybrid of parts from the BII heater box, 4.0L explorer condensor, and 5.0L AC compressor, So when I did my radiator and trans cooler I made sure I could still fit the .5" deep 4.0L condensor in front of my radiator.

That has since changed, I will not be using AC in the BII as it would be pointless since I dont plan to have no more rear glass or tailgate after I do the cage....so the compressor will likely get transformed into a on boar air setup.....
I am also now looking at removing the entire radiator support from my truck, except for the parts required to house the headlights. I am done with $450 custom radiators that last 1 year, I want a much cheaper and easier to access setup...
My point? research and consider all your options.
\

Back