Project R15X | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project R15X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Project R15X

2578775610089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

2206290590089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

Please look here at some stuff that I need to get rid of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't do the tcase brake, are you going to try linelocks?

I know from personal experience, no parking brake SUCKS..

Jesse at High Angle Driveline quoted me $310 for everything, which isn't too bad of a price. But you can pick up line locks for ~$100.

I know line locks work, but they won't help if you don't have any brakes to begin with. That's why I'm leaning towards the t-case brake.

The old Ranger never had a parking brake on it that worked, so that I'm use to.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Jesse at High Angle Driveline quoted me $310 for everything, which isn't too bad of a price. But you can pick up line locks for ~$100.

I know line locks work, but they won't help if you don't have any brakes to begin with. That's why I'm leaning towards the t-case brake.

The old Ranger never had a parking brake on it that worked, so that I'm use to.

remember a tcase brake relies on the driveline that is behind it. lose a link in the chain and it wont work.

I haven't had a parking brake on my last two trucks and it definitely makes me uneasy.
I was on the phone with Kent at Wilwood getting my caliper brackets and we discussed some parking brake options. Wilwood offers a cable operated parking brake caliper that is a second seperate caliper on the rotor but you need to fab up your own bracket for it.
rear_brake_with_parking_caliper.jpg

Got the new drivers seat in today.:D
-7 position recline
-heated seat & back
-lumbar
-100 oz Camelbak pouch

2105249650089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2202207470089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

Ooooooh, aaaaaaahhh.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very nice:thumbsup: I was looking at those, but started thinking I don't need a recliner, sense the cage will not let it recline:(

I love mine! I have the adjustable headrest, and adjustable lumbar. I'm not sure if they had a heated option when I bought mine..

only guy I know that lives in CALI wheels in cali moab and other hot a$$ places and has a heated seat! lol thats a nice one

only guy I know that lives in CALI wheels in cali moab and other hot a$$ places and has a heated seat! lol thats a nice one

Hey, it gets cold at night in the desert. And there's nothing wrong with applying a little heat to a sore back after a long day of wheeling.

That and I don't know where I'll be moving to at the end of next year. I could be going someplace cold.

Hey there good for big bear snow wheelin:cool:

Theoricaly 4.88s and 39s will keep the performance of my stock 3.73s and 28s. And everything I read says the 8.5 ring gear in the D44 doesn't like 5.13s and lower. Not enough pinion tooth contact under load and increased chance of chipping teeth.

On a side note, i'm pretty sure the new D44 has 4.09s so I could wheel it as is with som factory junkyard f250 wheels and tires for awhile if I wanted to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Whether you go 37 or 39 you will like the 5:13, and 5.29 would be even better. I have 4.56 with 33" and turn 3k rpm at around 75mph and am still seeing 19 mpg. The heavier your tire the more you need to compensate for the extra weight with a deeper gear. Remember the old rule, 4.56/33, 4.88/35, 5.13/37, and so on, each major gear jump is 2" more tire.

When I go to 36-37" (my final goal on this truck) I will use 5.13.

I think before we do the suspension we should put the 700r4 and atlas in. maybe not competly working but atleast bolted up to the motor. That way we can make sure we do not have any suspension design issues with the upper link. We also might want to swap the 63" chevy springs in before we do the sliders. The rear support will end up where the spring hanger currently is. Also the front one ends up right where the stock radius arm mount is.

Man, I hate my life today.

Finally got my seat brackets in, and guess what... They don't fit. :mad: Now I'm waiting on a phone call from Mastercraft to see what went wrong. The box says they fit, but the truck says hell no!

Then I get a phone call about my gear install. Apparently my good deal on a '79 F250 FFD60 isn't a D60, but a '80 E250 D61!:fire::fire:
So I've been on the phone for the last 2 hours trying to track down some one that makes a spacer to use D60 stuff in a D61 housing.:frustrate

Just got off the phone with Mastercraft. They are drop shipping the (hopefully) correct brackets.:thumbsup:

After talking with Mac at Superior, we came up with 3 options.

1. Make a custom 5/8" thick ring gear spacer and shim more to one side.
:thumbsup:I can get the spacer made in a couple of days for about $50.
:thumbdwn:The ring gear bolts will have a lot of shear forces placed on them.​
2. Buy the D61 Detroit Locker & factory D61 ring gear spacer.
:thumbsup:Everything should work.
:thumbdwn:Expensive, hard to get.​
3. Junk the D61 in favor of a D60.
:thumbsup:Everything will bolt in.
:thumbdwn:Need to find a D60 for a decent price.​

It looks like the best choice is going to be Door #3.

Maybe my dad would sell you his '80 250 for cheap.:D Has a D60 in the rear;) Just don't know what you would do with the rest:rolleyes: I think he has had the problem. Did they give you anything for the old Ranger in Scrap?

You would have to check the numbers on it to be sure. D61s were available in '79-86 F250s and Vans.

For the Ranger, I got a "We'll take care of it. Thank You, have a nice day."

How much extra stress are you talking about? You are after all using a dana 60 in a ranger with a v6. Even if it is a bit weaker I bet the weak link will still be the 30 spline axleshafts.

Did the housing that Rob found end up being able to work? When I talked to him he couldn't find the shafts for it. Maybe he could use that housing to get the gears setup in and then eather buy alloy shafts to fit it or go hit a pick and pull and find some shafts that will work in it. If you get the BOM number off that housing we can find out what length shafts you need and then just start pulling dana 60 shafts till we find the ones you need. That way another housing doesnt have to find a ride to Fresno.

I could probably meet up with you Saturday morning if you want and try to track down the right shafts. I have stuff I need to do in the afternoon and on Sunday. I have a 2 cordless impacts that should make pulling full float shafts pretty easy.

We can do that.

I think he was saying that the one he had was about 2 inches wider then the D61.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back