• Register Today It's free!

sway bar links

hazmat456

Reaction score
City, State
tomah wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 mercury mountaineer
OK this is my third set of links in 6 months. The rubber just gets pushed over the washer. Anybody have any ideas why? Drivers side only, passenger side has been fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

torsion bar is not adjusted the same, causing it to flex more on that side ?

i'm having the same problem only its the pass. side that breaks.

ya, measure the fender height to the ground on each side, make sure its sittin even.

Fender height is no measure of how level the vehicle is sitting. The fenders can easily vary an inch from side to side. Ride height is set by measuring the difference in the distance between two points on the lower control arm and the ground, not by measuring the fender height.

As to the OP's problem, could they have been replaced at one time with links that are too short or too long? Seems too much of an angle on the bar might cause that...

Have you switched out those Mickey Mouse plastic
gizmos for Energy Suspension steel links?

If not, then try them; much stronger than the stock ones.

OK this is my third set of links in 6 months. The rubber just gets pushed over the washer. Anybody have any ideas why? Drivers side only, passenger side has been fine.

I found this happened when I torqued the nut down to much. I replaced them and didn't tighten them as much and they seem a little better now.

10-20-09_0939.jpg

10-20-09_0940.jpg

10-20-09_0941.jpg

10-20-09_0953.jpg

i took a couple of pictures,I installed two new links today this time I put the washers in upside-down
although I tend to agree with gijoecam the links appear to be too short, but they are the correct pn
no the truck dose not sit level,don't think that I have ever seen one that has, and it should not make a difference because I have never driven down a level road anyway the truck leans left and looks almost perfect in the right hand lane on the interstate:)

Wow, that's odd... Never seen them do that before...

The cupped side of the washers should face the cupped faces of the bushings, and they usually don't need to be torqued too much.... Squeeze them until the bushing swells to the diameter of the washers; no more. (There's surely a spec, but I'm too lazy to look it up)

This is a new one for me... I replaced mine about 5 years ago when one of the bolts snapped and haven't had an issue since. IIRC, I got them from AutoZone since they were cheap and in-stock.

Wow, yea.. I thought you meant it just sort of pushed over the washer a little... not popped right over it.

yeah the edges of the washers are pretty sharp.the first set I ran the nut all the way up the thread, they lasted about four months. the second set I left somewhat looser,maybe three or four turns of the thread left.
the last set,I just ran up until they touched,same result every time.
this set I flipped the washers and ran the nut all the way up the thread.

My wife's cousin works service at a ford dealer,he can't find any torque specs, not that it would matter the nuts are a locking type that have been "punched",they have a dimple on them so I don't think a t-wrench would give a accurate reading anyway.

I do that too to my sway bar links. But I abuse them and they are from autozone so I dont mind getting replacements every six months or so becuase it takes about 10 minutes to replace :D

I think they do that because the bushings, at least from autozone do not seem to be one peice but actually look like there is an inner and outer that are somehow put together :dunno: then it seems that when they get abused they tear apart. Maybe Im wrong but it is what I saw.

I am ready to do this on my 2000 Ex Limited. Quesition: Do I need to replace the sway bar to frame bushings also?

If they haven't been replaced before then yes I would change them too. They don't need to be replaced nearly as often as the end links though.

I am ready to do this on my 2000 Ex Limited. Quesition: Do I need to replace the sway bar to frame bushings also?

make sure you measure the diameter of the sway bar before you go get them. there's i think 3 different sizes.

make sure you measure the diameter of the sway bar before you go get them. there's i think 3 different sizes.

Ooops! I am done! :burnout: Just finished everything and put all the tools away.

I did check them side by side and seem to be the same but with a few millimeters difference between them you can never tell.

The fitting seemed right, too. The sway bar is tight against the frame with no apparent looseness.

I'll stop by the auto part or check on-line to verify the size.

Thanks for reminding me that.

BTW, I went around the cul-de-sac and the driving feels much better and less noisy (squeaky). Now…, I thought I noticed the Ex pulling to the right. I will check later or tomorrow after a longer ride if the pulling is still there. However, that made me start thinking if there is any adjustment or setting for the sway bar. That is, should you make sure it is centered? I tried to do that by eye as much as I could but was not paranoiac about it.

no adjustments are available and it should self-center, now it's time to start on the rear end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1.5" front addco bar on my 98 ranger, and had this problem constantly. I'd go through a set on a good road trip if i was using the bar heavily. After living with it for a few months, i fabbed up a custom set of end links using 1/2 in heim joints top and bottom. They've held up for several months now, and the steering is way tighter.
Chris

Back