• Register Today It's free!

Mototote on 02'

storman113

Reaction score
City, State
Portland Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Have factory hitch. Could it hold 500 lbs. Would love to cart the bike this way.

mototote.jpg

http://www.mototote.com/motorcycle-carriers-us/mototote-mtx-sport-motorcycle-carrier-us.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it depends on whether you have the class III (?) or the standard hitch setup. If yours has the towing package (class III, I think) then it can tow something like 7000 pounds and with a 1/10 tongue to trailer weight ratio, then the tongue could carry 700 pounds, but I'm just guessing here.

What size is your hitch reciever?

It's the factory tow package. 2" receiver.

does anyone know about the 02 XLT v8 SOHC I have the small hitch, not sure about the size.

The smaller hitch reciever is a class I or II. Look in your owners manual it should give the towing ratings.

I know the 2 inch hitch can support the whole rear of the vehicle. We had to pull a K turn on a narrow country road a few days ago and it has drainage ditches on the sides. Due to a little misjudgement, the rear end fell into the drainage ditch. Luckily, the hitch got a good hold on the embankment on the other side of the ditch and the 4x4 kicked in saving us from ANY damage. Not even a scratch on the rear bumper.

This doesn't have anything to do with the tow rating or anything, if I'm right. It is a vertical capacity, which is what I think Rhino was talking about, I think, but 700 lbs. sounds a little too much.
Just skimming the google results, I found 300 and 500, but I haven't found anything for sure.
The aftermarket receivers seem to be able to withstand more than the factory ones, as some of the results have said 700+ lbs.

Don't know if this helps, but I found this on another site:

"Towing capability comes built-in. The standard receiver hitch, which is part of the rear frame, offers Class II towing capacity of up to 3,500 pounds, depending on engine and drivetrain.

A built-in hitch receiver offers towing capability right from the factory and can accept many accessories, such as a bicycle rack. An upgraded towing package, which includes a limited slip rear differential, provides Class III/IV towing capability of up to 7,300 pounds."

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about their vertical capacities :( ...

Don't know if this helps, but I found this on another site:

"Towing capability comes built-in. The standard receiver hitch, which is part of the rear frame, offers Class II towing capacity of up to 3,500 pounds, depending on engine and drivetrain.

A built-in hitch receiver offers towing capability right from the factory and can accept many accessories, such as a bicycle rack. An upgraded towing package, which includes a limited slip rear differential, provides Class III/IV towing capability of up to 7,300 pounds."

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about their vertical capacities :( ...

However, the thumbrule is that the tongue weight (which would be a vertical component - in engineering terms), is supposed to be 10% of total towing weight; therefore, if your capacity is 7300 pounds, I'm thinking that you can support 730 pounds with it. However, putting that must weight that far aft may well cause the truck to ride very "nose high". But the hitch can take it. I would have two guys weighing 250 pounds each stand on the rear bumper to get an idea of how far down she goes.

Back