Motorcycle Carrier

frat guy

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT, '02 Audi A4
Hitch Motorcycle Carrier

Well I did a search, I don't think I got the exact answers I'm looking for. I interested in purchasing one of the motorcycle carriers. http://www.motorcycleramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm

It says it fits any 2 inch receiver. That is what I have right?
97 xlt with factory towing package.

I know the tongue weight is 300 pounds.

The bike I would get is 291 lbs dry weight and the carrier is 37 lbs. So if I can in fact fit this on my Explorer, do you guys think it is a risk. I have the 3in BL with shackles and RS3000 Ranchos.

What do you guys think? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the fact that they advertise it on a truck with an empty bed. :rolleyes:

I've seen a lot of those around here on Tahoes. I'm sure you'll be just fine with it on your Explorer.

Well I think I got one of my questions answered . I now think I have the class II hitch with the 1 1/4" receiver. (Is that what was factory for the 97 xlt?) I assume I can just get a 2" adapter? I still have the question of how much I should go over that 300lbs tongue weight capacity. I hear they sometimes underestimate these capacities?

I don't know what stock hitch is. You can go measure it...

I'm sure 28lbs. over the limit won't be a big deal.

You could also just go buy a new class III hitch, I don't think they are much more than $150. That way you won't have to worry about the 28lbs.

You'll need to look at the gross axle weight rating for your particular truck, as well as know what it weighs with the extra tongue weight. Placing 300 lbs of tongue weight on the hitch can actually increase the weight on the rear wheels by more than 450 lbs. If that extra 450 lbs puts you over the gross axle weight rating, then no, it won't be a good idea.

-Joe

Back