• Register Today It's free!

lower front splash guard

kylecolb

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
So when I installed my bull bar, I needed to cut slits into the lower front splash guard (the really small plastic piece that runs across the lower front of the truck) for the braces of the bull bar mount to fit. Is it fine to just completely take this thing off? Does it even really do anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's called a valence and yeah, it's ok to take off.

I dont have one on mine, i took it off after i beat it up 4 whellin

I dont have one on mine, i took it off after i beat it up 4 whellin

So it is a fairly useless accessory on the truck? It looks like crap on mine right now, bent up and with the slits in it for the bull bar i dont like the way it looks

yeah it should just be bolted to the bottom of your bumper. take that ugly sucker off!

yeah it should just be bolted to the bottom of your bumper. take that ugly sucker off!

got all the plastic inserts unhooked, but those two bolts in the middle won't budge.... what the heck

Isnt this called the air dam? I removed mine it makes it look a lot better a more aggressive look in my opinion.

Isnt this called the air dam? I removed mine it makes it look a lot better a more aggressive look in my opinion.

I believe that would be the correct term. I saw someone else refer to it as lower front splash guard so that is just what i called it lol.

Next store neighbor told me not to remove it as to it is an AIR dam and its used in directing the air to a certain spot on the vehicle.. im not a believer of this or anything but am wondering if this is true ...been wanting to take mine off as well

In general, they are used to direct air to the radiator...

I knew it did somethign think i will keep mine on for now...

I knew it did somethign think i will keep mine on for now...

Wish they made a smaller one. maybe I would modify it to make it shorter and less noticeable, yet still have it there to direct the airflow. I'm sure an exacto knife and a steady arm should do the trick. it cut really easily when I modified it to fit the bull bar on the front end.

Wish they made a smaller one. maybe I would modify it to make it shorter and less noticeable, yet still have it there to direct the airflow. I'm sure an exacto knife and a steady arm should do the trick. it cut really easily when I modified it to fit the bull bar on the front end.

I painted mine with black bumper paint made it look much better than the faded gray and also casue my truck is black.heres a few pics...

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

Mine is a little bent which i hate

Ah- the lip molding... Yeah, that thing is mostly cosmetic, and to deflect some junk away from the rad and stuff. I thought you were looking at a lip that attaches to the bottom of the radiator... I don't see any reason why you can't ditch that thing...

So I have taken off what I could, still can't bust those two bolts loose in the middle, but it looks better this way. bull bar covers up center piece that is still there. I also finally figured out the true name of this piece.
DSCN3511.jpg

DSCN3512.jpg

DSCN3513.jpg

DSCN3510.jpg

DSCN3514.jpg

DSCN3517.jpg

DSCN3518.jpg

Taking just the edges off gives the truck a more aggressive and "higher" look. I just need to find a way to get those bolts off that middle piece

Ah- the lip molding... Yeah, that thing is mostly cosmetic, and to deflect some junk away from the rad and stuff. I thought you were looking at a lip that attaches to the bottom of the radiator... I don't see any reason why you can't ditch that thing...

Taking just the edges off gives the truck a more aggressive and "higher" look. I just need to find a way to get those bolts off that middle piece

Whats the hold up with the bolts? My X's bolts just came off with a socket wrench. I have the bolts back on because it does keep the bumper attached to a metal bar.

Whats the hold up with the bolts? My X's bolts just came off with a socket wrench. I have the bolts back on because it does keep the bumper attached to a metal bar.

That's a good question, they just won't budge. I can't see what kind of bolts are on them so I'm going to jack the front end up tomorrow and try to see what's up. It's annoying! I want that piece off!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe just so rusted on, I'll try some WD40 on the suckers too

Back