• Register Today It's free!

need an intake / cold air intake

tev

Reaction score
City, State
no
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
i have a 98 ford explorer 4.0 sohc and i want to put an intake in it, and i just want to know what intake gives you the best horse power? can you help me out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

K&n cai

62147_444202477556_538392556_5111960_672863_n.jpg
i have a 98 ford explorer 4.0 sohc and i want to put an intake in it, and i just want to know what intake gives you the best horse power? can you help me out?

I installed a K&N CAI part number 57-2527. I haven't put it on the dyno after installing it but It does run a little better. I'm looking to do headers and an exhaust in the next month or 2 but not sure yet as it's near the holidays and money is tight.

I would go Mac with an Amsoil filter.

Attachments

• mac intake.jpg
    mac intake.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,087

thanks, yeah with the holidays around the corner its gona be tight

My dad says he can feel the extra horses from a K&N. i don't notice a Gee-Dee difference.

I can tell you that with the cold air intake, the air is only colder when you're on the freeway. Intake air temps would hover around 110+ when I had the stock air box. With the Cold Air Intake, I run 10 - 15 degrees above ambient. So in today's 74 degree heat, my intake air was about 86.

When you're in stop & go traffic, it's just going to be hot no matter what. The air intake tube runs right behind the upper radiator hose. With all that heat trapped under the hood from stop & go traffic, there just isn't any cold air to be had.

build ur own and save a ton of cash i did mine for 52 bucks and it works as good as a 300 dollar kit. summit filter wich is made by kn without the fancy box and a spectre adapter it bolts right to the end of ur mass air meter and ur done. i cant justyfy payin over 200 bucks for a piece of plastic pipe when the factory one works just as good.

My only suggestion is use a dry filter, oiled filters mess with the maf. Oh and the MAC is a nice setup been running it for about 2 years now and it seems to have more power on take off but other than that no real change.

build ur own and save a ton of cash i did mine for 52 bucks and it works as good as a 300 dollar kit. summit filter wich is made by kn without the fancy box and a spectre adapter it bolts right to the end of ur mass air meter and ur done. i cant justyfy payin over 200 bucks for a piece of plastic pipe when the factory one works just as good.

But in CA, you won't pass the smog inspection.

Back