B&M 80277 Universal Remote Transmission Filter Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

B&M 80277 Universal Remote Transmission Filter Kit

Fifty150

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
413H2WDP00L.jpg

Anyone install one of these? Pics on the installation? Feedback?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just got mine in the mail. I am getting a magnetic band to put around it when I install - to catch extra metalic pieces

Also nice that the motorcraft FL1A filter fits it!

just got mine in the mail. I am getting a magnetic band to put around it when I install - to catch extra metalic pieces

Also nice that the motorcraft FL1A filter fits it!

I have a filter mag on both my oil filter and the remote transmission filter.

still haven't cut a filter open to see if it's actually helping catch much though.

if you ever get a chance to brake up an old hdd keep the magnets from it (especially from a 3.5") they are extra strong. I have one on the side of each filter and lined the bottom of my tranny pan with them.

I always thought that the Filter-Mag was a good product. But a friend of mine said that if you have that much metallic particulate matter, then you're going to need more help than a magnet could give you. It sort of made sense that if I had that much metal floating around in my oil, then I've got larger problems that I should address. But I still use it anyway. It couldn't hurt.

This is a pic of the one I have on the X.
2019361815_4dac3f1770_z.jpg

Trans filter, over the tire view by maniak_az, on Flickr

I also have one on the Van but I Only have a pic of it before I installed the trans cooler and filter.
3946549930_d7256191ba_z.jpg

cooler&filter-parts 004 by maniak_az, on Flickr

If your thinking of using 90 degree fittings, keep in mind, most won't work because you can't get then to pass each other when you spin them down.. BUT, we did managed to modify on just enough so it would fit. If I find a pic of it after the modification I'll post it.

~Mark

~Mark

cheaper because it doesn't have the B&M logo.

I just looked at that, and at Summit Racing, their own brand was priced higher B&M. Funny how these prices change depending on demand. But the half dozen or so kits looked like you get more if you spend more. Some kits came with hose, hardware, and even trans temp gauges.

I got both of my filter mounts from the local speed shop. It was cheaper than summit since i already had lots of fittings and hoses.

~Mark

Mark,

Are you using Motorcraft FL-1A filters?

I was running motorcraft fl1a filters but I now buy the Wix 51515 filters by the case for cheap (I pay $3 each) so I'm using those for everything (oil and trans) on X and the Van.

I had some cheapie on the X at one time (in the pic).. but that was a long time ago.

~Mark

I had one on my old Explorer. Hard to tell if they provide any real benefit.

I would say a cooler would do more good for extending the life

On a transmission, I can really see the benefits of the filter. The filter on an a4ld isn't a filter. Its more like a screen. Using the filter will capture what the factory filter/screen won't.

Of course, if I had to choose, I'd choose a cooler first but I'm running coolers and filters on both of our Auto Trans vehicles.

~Mark

Just temporary

That looks like a Wally World SuperTech special.

You're correct, those are from Wal-Mart. They were just for the initial leak check. Now I have Mobil 1 for ATF and full flow engine oil and Amsoil for bypass filter.

I would say a cooler would do more good for extending the life

Already have one. My car left the factory with an OEM trans cooler. I wish it had a fan. I can always add the fan later. But on a 15 year old car, I wonder if I'll ever get off my lazy behind to do anything to it at all.

Hard to tell if they provide any real benefit.

I'd like to cut one of those filters open. I'm sure that it's working. Now it's time to find out what it's actually catching.

Has anyone cut one open yet?

I havent opened one yet but i now have the tool to do so. Ill take pics once i get a chance to pull the one off the trans on the x.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out this thread.I read through it a while ago. Some one cut one open but I can't remember what page it's on. I was suprised at what it actually caught makes a good case to install one.

Back