inh's external transmission filter and cooler install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

inh's external transmission filter and cooler install

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I installed a perma-cool external transmission filter, and a b&m axillary transmission cooler today. All in all it was a pretty simple process.

note: I'll snap some more pics of the line routing later on, all I have now is the finished product from the front of the truck.

I started by removing the bumper, and then verifying that the top line going in to the radiator was indeed the line that had fluid flowing from the transmission and to the radiator, and the bottom line was the one that carried cooled fluid from the radiator to the transmission.

Once both those lines were disconnected, i cut them in two places, both right before they bent to travel from one side of the engine compartment to the other. I then slightly flared the ends of the tubing to keep the hose from being able to slip off as long as the hose clamp is on.

The filter was installed by cutting notches in the support brace, and then bending it upwards. This not only cleared a space for the filter to mount to, but also made the area big enough fro all three screws to be utilized. I owe you guys a better picture of it, but for now:

IMG_0127-1.jpg

The cooler was mounted behind the grille, using the supplied cooler mounting zip tie things.

IMG_0142-1.jpg

The way the plumbing works is as follows:

Transmission -> filter -> factory cooler in radiator -> b&m cooler -> transmission

I like filtering hot fluids, because they are less viscous it seems to me that it would flow through the filter better, causing less of a strain on the transmission pump.

Once I have an in-pan temperature gauge mounted, I'll experiment with avoiding the radiator cooler all together, to see if that helps temperatures.

Sorry for the lack of detailed photos, i'll be sure to get more =]

Will you have a quick look at this and let me know if this set-up will work to filter the finer particles from a transmission fluid if I hook it up to the transmission lines near the radiator. Not as a permanent set-up, just temporary, to strain the fluid.

I think the pressure on this unit will sustain 60 - 70 lbs. of pressure.

http://site.wolfgangcarcare.com/images/filter1.jpg

OK....thanks.

Back