From clunker to cruiser: 93 Sport 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

From clunker to cruiser: 93 Sport 4x4

From clunker to cruiser: 93 Sport 4x4 (UPDATE 2/21/11)

Update: As I do more stuff and take it more places I'll keep uploading pics. See last page for newest!
Last update: 5/9/2011

525b64fb.jpg

Now with DIY Cherokee Sport fender flares
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's

d6dcf6a1.jpg

Flares from another angle

7f55befa.jpg

FORD raptor Inspired front letter emblems

48ccc273.jpg

Side view

Hey guys! I'm happy to make my first post with pictures. I got the truck early in December and since then it's udergone quite a few changes.
083639d4.jpg

Complete rehab of interior:
New door panels, new doors, new headliner and sunvisors, glovebox doors and lots of upholstery cleaning, new tailgate panel

Exterior rehab:
Added brush/tail lamp guards, overhead lighting
PIAA H3 driving lamps, HID headlamps
New paint
New hood and doors
New aftermarket ebay headlamps
LED exterior lighting
Silverstar backup lamps
new taillamps
new Motorcraft Sport shocks
15x10 aluminum 8-hole wheels on 31-10.5-15s
Stock ride height 8)
Milemarker 428 manual locking hubs

Engine rehab: seafoam, oil change to mobil one and mobil one filter, new intake hose, new air filter, new muffler.

588e1f1f.jpg

13f761ac.jpg

91b3034c.jpg

37220c75.jpg

So this is the after... Here's before.
Day 01:
588e1f1f.jpg

Day 02:
dc5041a9.jpg

Day 03:
1adcc535.jpg

Day 04:
aa53e466.jpg

Disaster.

Now the dents are fixed, 4wd works great and the engine runs strong, smooth and quiet.
New headlights and taillamps are next along with HID converting the PIAA's.

Anyways, my Ex has come a long way in a short time.
I'm going for more of a Range Rover look, though the Jurassic Park thing seems to be the #1 comment.

Glad to be a part of the Ex community.

I got my Ex to replace my ailing 1994 Ranger (the ghost on TRS).

I'm from SoCal and I'd love to be involved with some group outings!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice work- truck looks great! :thumbsup:

I also removed all my blue ovals and replaced them with mid-80s Ford block letter logos and mounted an Explorer Sport emblem on the dash for a more distinctive look and added the red 4wd emblem on the grill.

Thanks for the compliments!

Wow that Ex cleaned up really well. What is the new color forest green? I like it:thumbsup:

X about 10 on the great looking 1st gen!:thumbsup:

Wow that Ex cleaned up really well. What is the new color forest green? I like it:thumbsup:

I was aiming for forest or hunter green, but it came out lighter as like a grass green color.

yeah that's a great color green. Nice work on fixing that thing up. Any plans for a lift?

I love it! The color scheme is amazing and I love the Land Rover-ish look!

No plans for a lift yet, looking at shocks and mud tires. Rock auto has motorscraft shocks for the sport 4x4 w/102" wheelbase for $10 each; does Bilstein make a shock for exes?

It may also get a JET performance module at some point.

By the way, keeping with Ex tradition and my own habit of naming cars, I've decided this ex is gonna be named "Grant", after the JP character. I'm also considering MacArthur, Patton.

The truck looks great man. good work on the colors and i really like the choice of badges keep up the great work and you'll have a brand new X in no time

how did you get the rims to clean up so well it looked like the clear was peeling bad in the first pics

I love the green and red looks good, also the block "ford" lettering on the front is a nice touch

So, I made a few more changes.

Check out stage II. I got a set of new wheels as a result of one of my stock wheels getting ruined. 15x10s running 31x10.5x15s.

Also added aftermarket headlamps from ebay.

so yesterday, I washed the truck...
185602_1285018703738_1778251677_498765_5981153_n.jpg

182264_1285020103773_1778251677_498767_1169151_n.jpg

...and immediately got it dirty ;)
175233_1285089145499_1778251677_498918_4049481_o.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a happy Explorer.

Back