Factory Driving Lamps

EYFD5917

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer EB AWD 5.0
Hey All,
I cant seem to keep bulbs in My valance lamps.Tightened the mounts,replaced the bulbs(using dielectric grease).Sockets cleaned and wires are good.Now at, replacing the bulbs about every 3 months(grrrr!).Getting ready to replace them with aftermarket units with maybe a surround filler of some sort due to shape configuration.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say that you can't keep them in, do you mean that they keep blowing, or that they physically fall out and are destroyed?

Bulbs keep burning out....

Are you touching the glass on the bulbs?

I'd check the harness for wear-through, as well as the touching of the glass. Are they blowing out together at the same time, or individually even if it is only a day apart?

When I scored my new OEM lights on eBay ($38 for the pair, lucky) they had new jumper harnesses in the pack and new bulbs in them already as well. (The jumper harness is the one that goes from the main harness to the back of the bulb)

Apr18_0005.jpg

I do know about the "fingers off" due to oils and heat. I did check the wires inside the looming/conduit....seemed ok. The bulbs burn out one at a time,with the max between the two being about two months apart. I may have to trace the harness further back. Thanks for the responses. The auto-on switch in the rearview mirror is kinda sloppy and won't stay in the off position....kinda doubt it's related....but one never knows,lol.

Back