!997 Torsion bar adjusters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

!997 Torsion bar adjusters

Griz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an improved version of the torsion bar adjuster for the 1997 Explorer. The kevlar patch on the Ford part wears away causing metal to metal noise. Did it once, really don't want to do it again unless there is a better part out there. Thanks for any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The adjusters I bought last summer were no different than the original ones. The pads are already showing signs of deteriorating.

what the heck is a kevlar patch ????

on the drivers side torsion bar on mine is about to touch the hole it passes through on the a-arm..

The kevlar patch is the piece of material that Ford glues onto the part of the torsion bar that rests in the recessed area. It is a sound insullating material so you don't have the metal fromt he adjuster banging against the metal from the frame every time the suspension moves up ro down.

In the picture below, the kevlar patch is the part with the orange stripes on it. My used one on the right shows the metal after the patch wore away:
331-361-2412.jpg

Back