• Register Today It's free!

3nd gen with 35 ?

941Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4x4
I was just wondering if any has done it . I have a 3in bl now and I am putting on my truxxx spacers next weekend how much would I need to trim if it is possible . Or could some one running to truxxx lift with the bl post pictures of what it would look like on 33 ? Thank you :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alot of trimming in the front and probably take out some of the back door lol (at the wheel well)

Macknos94 had 3"/2.5" strut spacers and a 3" body lift and was running 35x12.50 with 1.5" wheel spacers:

07312009070.jpg

So you might be able to get it to work with the truxx spacers since they are 2.5"/2" right? Main things are the clearance of the rear tires where they go by the corners of the rear doors and of course steering clearance up front. I don't think you'll be able to flex much though.

Might be better to go with 285/75 (32.8")

Here's a pic of BigOne65's old truck with 2.25"/1.75" strut spacers, 3" body lift, and 285/75:

PICT0019.jpg

Here's his registry with more pics including offroading:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257689

19313763.jpg

""The Explorer is lifted by using a rear end out of a 2005 Sport Track with leafsprings the front is a dana 30 out of a Jeep Cherokee and leaf springs aswell"

Hmpf - Thanks for the info Wiggles. Dana30-Ford8.8 isn't a bad combo, 44 up front would be cooler, but a 30's not bad.

From what I understand, the 30 can be an easier swap bc of the similar width and drivers side differentials with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern that we already have.

If you're an avid offroader, I don't think it's an option bc there really isn't any strength gain with it, but it's a fair option for accomplishing a lift for appearance.

Any issues with cv's, running 12.5's, that any one know's about?

I know 3 in spacer loft was bad because of ball joint angles but could you use them with the btf new upper control arms ?

He had some custom arms made by Brandon on there just for the 3" spacers. Those were a "one off" set though.

I think the new arms he makes would still be too short....but you'd have to ask Brandon. Even if the arms worked, I would think with 2.5" spacers in the back you would not have much flex at all before the axles hit the frame loops. With 35's and a V-6 you would almost have to regear the axles also to keep it from being a total dog to drive (Macknos94 had 3.73's and a V-8 and he said it wasn't too bad)

That all being the case, I think I agree with the earlier posts that the best way to run 35's and have it be very functional would be a SAS. Matter of fact that's what Macknos94 was trying to do before he got hit with some very bad luck and lost the whole project in a fire.

Thank for yalls input looks like 285/75 for my ex , do I still need to gear it ?

cv's can be snapped quite handily with 35's if the rig gets bouncing when stuck, , my 2nd gen did that,

what gear ratio would I need to close to stock ?

Macknos94 had 3"/2.5" strut spacers and a 3" body lift and was running 35x12.50 with 1.5" wheel spacers:

07312009070.jpg

damn i loved the look of that truck, even the 20's looked good....not a fan of chrome but his truck was definitely an exception. i read the whole build thread and about the fire but did he lose the mounty in the fire too?

Unfortunately yes.

Here is mine with 7" of suspension lift and 35s
$(KGrHqYOKj!E5W9!lpC!BOiw0,rwL!~~60_58.jpg
Before
$(KGrHqMOKp!E5YZz,c+IBOiw0j2+r!~~60_58.jpg

$(KGrHqIOKjQE5,U2(,3pBOiw0nLGW!~~60_58.jpg

$(KGrHqUOKjkE5geyTLm)BOiw0qunFw~~60_58.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Details please? I have no idea how you pulled that off, but good work.
Whose coilovers on there? Looks really nice.

Back