33x12.5 on 15x7 rim, will it work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33x12.5 on 15x7 rim, will it work?

tgreene92

Reaction score
City, State
south jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT x2
ok so the title states the question, can you fit a 12.5 inch wide tire on a 7 inch wide rim? ive got a set off 33's that id like to put on my new ex but dont have the cash right now to buy a wider rim. it would only be temporary, maybe a month or so tops. Ive had some people tell me i wont even be able to get the tire on the rim and others tell me i can get em on but the chance of a tire falling off the bead is much greater.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need at least an 8" rim for a 12.5 tire.

with a little rim like that you will be flexin the rubber too much

We ran 33x12.50 on 15x7s for the last 4 years by accident. We thouht we had 15x8 all these years but when we went to replace them Ifound out they were only 7".

The only issue we ran into was finding the right pressure to run. We would wear the center out befor the sides but it wasnt drastic. We could still sell the tires at 40k miles whenwe ran the bfg at.

When we got the new rims we did get the 15x8.

We also never popped a bead, even when we would run 12 psi.

~Mark

as Maniak said yes, you can do it, but tire wear will definitely not be uniform.
even with 15x8's, my tires are getting much more wear in the center than the outer portion of the tread. About 2/32 more wear in the center, currently.

ok thx for the replies, i always thought you needed at least an 8 wide rim but recently i had some people say you could run the 12.5 wide tire on the 7 inch wide rim. i might go ahead and do it because 1) i have the 33's which were free. 2) I'm not to worried about wear because the truck is only going to get used on the trails maybe once a week 3) I get mount and balance for free(tech school friends) and 4) I'd like to keep the 31's on the other ex than swapping them onto my new one and riding that one on bald 235's.

Do you reckon I can apply this advice to running a 33 x 12.5 on a 17 x 7.5" rim?

2) I'm not to worried about wear because the truck is only going to get used on the trails maybe once a week 3) I get mount and balance for free(tech school friends)
Tire wear affects the traction on the street too.. Just adjust your air pressure to keep the tire from wearing in the middle.

Do you reckon I can apply this advice to running a 33 x 12.5 on a 17 x 7.5" rim?
Go for it.

Cheer's, I didn't think 1/2 an inch would make too much difference but then that small voice in the back of my mind spoke up so I thought I better check! I like my stock rim's too!
EDIT: After looking on ebay, it'll be cheaper to get new 16 x 8 rim's and 33's than get 4 17" 33's. Plus I'll make the saving every time I have to get new boot's. Thank's again tho'!

i ran 33/12.5/15's on stock wheels for quite a long time. wheeled the hell out of it and never had a single issue. drove it 60 miles every day on the highway and never had uneven wear.

918f1ef9.jpg

You can run a 7 in rim..I have run 35x12.5 on 7s for the last 8 years on three different trucks

Like Dan said, I've run 12.50's on 7's before and never had any problems. IMO it even offers the sidewalls a little trail protection by sucking them in a little.

thx for the responses guys, im taking the rims and tires to my buddy's tech school to get them mounted and balanced once i get the engine and other stuff straightened out first, ill be sure to post some pics when i do.

a 7" wide wheel will hold the bead better than that of a wider wheel actually. Its a myth and wide ass wheels are very ugly, haha

I've got 33 1350 tires on stock Cherokee 15x7 wheels works fine. I had to grind calipers and a little on ball joint on top a arm. But other that that it works great

Back