4.0 sohc primary chain guide ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 sohc primary chain guide ?

Sprocket1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL Autotrac
O.K., I changed my primary chain tensioner and guide about a week ago. Also I installed a new front left hydraulic tensioner. When I removed the old primary chain guide I noticed that the little tab that goes into the block broke off. I looked into the hole but didn't see anything so I just thought it fell on the floor and rolled away somewhere. I installed the new guide and it fit well. Now my problem is there isn't any oil getting up to the hydraulic tensioner. I've started it up and the oil pressure gage goes up instantly. I took it apart 3 or 4 times now and every time the tensioner is dry. The tensioner goes in well and the washer fits perfect. Also the long plastic check rod next to it is dry also. My question is, if that small piece that broke off the primary guide was still in there and the new guide pushed it in farther would that restrict oil from going up to the tensioner? Directly across the front of the block it looks like it's the oil sending unit. Man it's got me stumped. My Explorer is a 97 with 120,000 miles. Always ran excellent , so I just thought I would do some preventitive maintenance.....jeez I wish I left it alone now! Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tensioner oil port

How thick is the washer/compression ring installed on the tensioner? The ones that come with it are thin so not to block the oil port.
RtTnsCls.jpg

Make sure the matching port in the head is not plugged. If that's OK then you can remove the oil pressure switch (not an easy task) and poke something into the port to try to clear the channel.
JackKeep.jpg

The washer is a thin one from Ford. The matching port is spotless. I can look into the long white plastic oil restrictor. Very very clean. I just need to remove front timing cover tonight and see if in fact the old piece of plastic tab is still in there. Actually I am hoping it is - then I know that's what's blocking the oil flow. Is that the path for oil to travel up to the front tensioner? Thanks for the help!

oil flow path?

I'm not familiar with the path the oil flows in the block to the tensioner but it seems reasonable that it comes from below. However, it seems unlikely that the primary chain guide tit would end up blocking the tensioner port. Is oil coming out of the oiler tube above the driver side camshaft?

What I can tell there is "fresh" oil up around the head and cam after running it for a few minutes. Just no oil to the tensioner. I mean after running it for a few minutes, it is still bone dry. Not a hint of oil anywhere on it. I thought about leaving the tensioner a little loose to see if I could get it to leak.

Back