Completed Project - 5.0 swap - w/ 4406 | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 5.0 swap - w/ 4406

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
What were the two different rotors in the pictures?

The old one is the stock 11" 1999 rotor. Above that is a 12" cheap eBay 01 Sport part, to get it all together first.

I bought the nice one at the bottom from the Tire Rack about 50k miles later. I like those rotors better than the many I've bought before, I think the Cryro process is worth the money for severe duty use.

I have the rear brakes from an 03/04 Crown Vic that I was going try to install in the rear, when the PO forced an LLV truck on my route. They are not much bigger, but they are vented and would have helped reduce heat for my use then.

I should have the used rotors pictured above, the drilled pair. I don't know if it would be worth it to sell(ship), not knowing what other low cost rotors are out there. I'd give them away for the shipping cost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moser - Ford 9"

So I did the 9". Strang Engineering wouldn't even talk to me about ABS in their 9" so I called up Moser Engineering. It took talking to several people but I finally convinced them to let me bring to them to check out. I drove the 2 hours from my house to deliver my stock 8.8 to see if they could make me a 9". They decided that their normal GM style ABS set up would work on our Explorers, so I told them to go for it! I used their ABS sensor and got a GM ABS wiring pigtail from NAPA, cut the stock Ford one off and then installed the GM sensor. The tone ring is 2 teeth less and the sensor doesn't look much like the Ford one, but it worked great! I put it through hard testing tonight and it worked every bit as good as the stock one.

Specs:

4:11 gear
Eaton True Trac "limited slip"
1350 U-joint yoke
GM 02 Camaro style ABS tone ring and sensor

E4FA19A0-63D7-4BDB-BF04-BA52FC0C784D_zps7ftpjvpl.jpg

357107C0-3D68-4834-97D1-5948E10E957A_zpspiicocbq.jpg

FEC9363C-8F65-4DE6-9F64-5382A6E937B2_zpszqnfh7w3.jpg

I made and welded the sway bar mounts on myself.

A90FF58E-2EB2-4A45-8A02-86746160573A_zpsoctoda4q.jpg

4DB68B50-5126-4045-82A6-0E4B8F2128BB_zps3b2xvgye.jpg

Here is a teaser for the brake topic that I will try to post about tomorrow.

1D9098AB-29E9-4982-9969-B7510E8FAB00_zpswhsfbfrg.jpg

:burnout: :burnout:

8C5424EE-7B00-4CA2-97DF-C21F89F95637_zpsbas5jzkh.jpg

I just drooled into my ice cream!
Nice work!

How much more does it weigh? Is your speedo correct?
Did you already have 4.10's?
How much did it cost?
Could they have welded the sway bar mounts on for a price? I cant weld!
Is it the same width as the 8.8?
I cant wait to hear more about the brakes!

Absolutely crazy.
Wow.

What did it take to make it happen? Narrowing? What about the drive shaft?

This took you no time at all. You've been a busy boy.

wow! i want them brakes......but a 9 inch is a little far out of the price range. thats ok andy, i have a little surprise myself that i am going to be working on that will make you drool........:burnout:

wow! i want them brakes......but a 9 inch is a little far out of the price range. thats ok andy, i have a little surprise myself that i am going to be working on that will make you drool........:burnout:

Intercooler???

How much more does it weigh? Is your speedo correct?
Did you already have 4.10's?
How much did it cost?
Could they have welded the sway bar mounts on for a price? I cant weld!
Is it the same width as the 8.8?
I cant wait to hear more about the brakes!

I had 3.73's. I just ordered a 23 tooth speedo driven gear last night to fix it. Right now it is 5mph high at 60. With this set up it does 2,000rpm @ 60mph according to my phone app.

Cost: well ya know.. The axle by itself was ~$2,600 (a rebuilt 8.8 with similar guts would have been ~$1,500). I plan to sell my 8.8 with the stock rear brake set up which will offset some of that cost.

They didn't have the brackets to weld on for me. If they had the brackets before hand I'm sure they would weld them on. I had to do enough convincing to get them to try the ABS for the Explorer..

A custom axle speed shop such as Moser will make the axle to any width you want it. So yes, it is the same width as the stock 8.8.

By the way, I learned that a lot of Camaro guys, etc. look for stock explorer rear brakes when doing cheap a disc brake conversion. The Wildwood rear brakes you see pictured work perfectly with our stock parking brake cables.

Drive Shaft

Absolutely crazy.
Wow.

What did it take to make it happen? Narrowing? What about the drive shaft?

This took you no time at all. You've been a busy boy.

Thanks!, I think. I did a lot of research to know for sure that the 9" would fit in the stock location. They can make the 9" basically any width you want and change the pinion offset and angle around as you please.

You can order a yoke on the center section that will accept a 1310 u-joint or a 1350 u-joint (Spicer numbers). I found out that the Expedition drive shaft that we are all using with the 4406 swap uses 1330 u-joints. You just have to take the adapter piece off the axle end of the drive shaft, and use a conversion u-joint to go from 1330 to a 1350 style (in this case, the larger the number, the larger the u-joint). I however, had the local drive shaft shop cut the yoke (maybe the right word?) off and weld on a 1350 yoke to accept a true 1350 u-joint (non-greaseable).
The length is very close. By doing everything I listed above the drive shaft is pulled out of the transfer case ~1/2" more than it was with the 8.8, not enough to matter.

If you ever decide to sell your baby, Im sure quite a few of us would seriously consider it. Not that we could afford it though.

Everything you have done is first class.

I had 3.73's. I just ordered a 23 tooth speedo driven gear last night to fix it. Right now it is 5mph high at 60. With this set up it does 2,000rpm @ 60mph according to my phone app.

By the way, I learned that a lot of Camaro guys, etc. look for stock explorer rear brakes when doing cheap a disc brake conversion. The Wildwood rear brakes you see pictured work perfectly with our stock parking brake cables.

When are you doing the front rear? Or did you already do that?

What would it take to bolt the Wildwood's up to a 8.8?

If you ever decide to sell your baby, Im sure quite a few of us would seriously consider it. Not that we could afford it though.

Everything you have done is first class.

Thanks Don, that's a great complement! :salute:

When are you doing the front rear? Or did you already do that?

What would it take to bolt the Wildwood's up to a 8.8?

On the 9" they call the backing plate mount a Big Ford Style. I'm 99% sure you can order that same kit with the 8.8 hole flange style. All the mustangs run that 8.8 stock with the same bolt pattern so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll try to get to posting pictures of the brakes up today.

I don't suggest ordering parts directly from Wilwood though. Moser and Summitracing both sell their parts for less than Wilwood lists.

Very cool

I feel like Im still just playing in the sandbox in my back yard while you guys are really doing the adult kid stuff. I'll get on it with my turbo if it ever warms up here.

Tim's coming over to help install my TMH's this weekend, then I'll get going on routing stuff for the turbo. I don't think I'll get to the same level of workmanship you are at, but I am learning.

Ok, back to the show....How are those brakes feeling? Are they too grippy making the abs start working really early in the braking? The whole setup looks awesome.

Whats next on your X?

I feel like Im still just playing in the sandbox in my back yard while you guys are really doing the adult kid stuff. I'll get on it with my turbo if it ever warms up here.

Tim's coming over to help install my TMH's this weekend, then I'll get going on routing stuff for the turbo. I don't think I'll get to the same level of workmanship you are at, but I am learning.

Ok, back to the show....How are those brakes feeling? Are they too grippy making the abs start working really early in the braking? The whole setup looks awesome.

Whats next on your X?
400+ inch Windsor? ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would guess the full tank of gas he's been wanting lol!
hahahaha..........

Yea, a Prius they aren't.

Im just excited to see 14mpg now :wtf: ....I can tell springs in the air.

Back