Cigarette lighter/power point issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cigarette lighter/power point issue

Koumar573

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
Hi all,

In my 08 explorer it has 3 power points, one right by the cup holder in the front, another contained in the center console, and one behind the center console for the rear passengers. The only one that is currently working is the one in the front by the cup holders. I checked the fuse, it's fine, I don't know why 2/3 wouldn't be working. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a used Explorer? Trace out the wiring from each power point back towards the fuse panel. Mine had one of the wiring leads usurped for a subwoofer power that was removed when I bought it. Had to reconnect that and it all works fine.

There's more than one fuse. Fuse 25 (Console 2 power-point) and fuse 21 (Console 1 power point) and fuse 36 (Rear console power point) should all be checked.

Resurrecting this thread. I have the one by the cup holder not working. The fuse is good and there have been no mods to the vehicle. Where else to look.

Are you checking with the engine on? Some are relay controlled. Dirt or corrosion on the positive tip in the socket may make it appear dead (our front facing console was like that). Use a meter to be sure its dead or not. Check ALL the fuses, its not clear if you did.

Are you checking with the engine on? Some are relay controlled. Dirt or corrosion on the positive tip in the socket may make it appear dead (our front facing console was like that). Use a meter to be sure its dead or not. Check ALL the fuses, its not clear if you did.
Yes, I did check with the engine on. The power point on the bottom back of the center console is operational with the key off and on. I swapped the fuses for each location and both worked for the rear location but the one behind the cup holder never was powered.

Any instruction on how to open up the center console to check the wiring?

We thought ours was dead until I checked with a meter. It was live but nothing worked until the contacts were cleaned. The lighter plugs don't make a good connection on that one near the cup holder.

Never cleaned one before. What is the appropriate method; sandpaper, q-tip with solvent?

Depends how bad it is very its alive first though. I used a small screw driver tip but you have to be careful not to short it out if its alive when the vehicle is off. I believe that one is switched though. Emery cloth on the end of any tool will do something but NOT sand paper as all the grit will remain in the socket. You'd have to blow it with compressed air then or have a good vacuum nozzle to suck it out. Sand paper is very poor on metal so I would not bother.

Well did you get it working??

Well did you get it working??
Not yet, it's on ride about with the wife. Hope to get to it tomorrow night. We had the shifter worked on years ago, so I'm thinking that the tech didn't hook it back up.

Inspected the power point last night and it is pristine. No rust, no crud, nothing. Didn't have a tester handy but it's looking like it might be disconnected. Maybe it will be cooler so I can spend a little quality time with it.

Voltmeters are dirt cheap, you should have one. A test light probe would also work for this type of application. Since sometimes the lighter end does not make proper contact within the socket (there are different designs, so it may work in one but not another auto socket). This is normal these days. I want be be certain before pulling the console out which is a big job IMO.

Outlet wasn't connected. Took longer to clean up 10 years of drink gunk than to take it apart and put it back together. Now onwards to the sway bar links.

Back