Whats in your trunk? Or Emergency kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats in your trunk? Or Emergency kit

FirefighterJose

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Middle Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT 4.0 4wd
So I like to think of my self as some what prepared for some basic stuff.

So underneath I have
-Jumper Cables
-2 Reflective Triangles
-3 Flares
-2" Ball Receiver
-Tow Strap
-oem jack
Just some really basic stuff that I'd like to add to.

15934088783_5865d3b735_c.jpg

And in the trunk it looks like this.
-Subs and Amp
( I'm trying to sell these, they were free so I couldn't say no )
-Bucket with Detail supplies
-Gear Bag for work
-Misc Junk

16552592751_1ef73ec778_c.jpg

I want to get a tote to go along with the gear bag for the misc junk.
I want to be more organized so I was thinking some storage totes for under the back seats.

It kills me that the back looks the way it does...
So Once I sell the subs/amp I'd like to purchase a much smaller setup. Maybe a 10" and a small amp. Just something to fill the low end of the songs. Not 2 12's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The contents of my underfloor compartment look the same. I should carry more but I roll the dice.
In the cubby box to the left of it I also have a couple ratchet straps, a little nylon/fleece blanket in a pouch and one of those new 200A lithium booster batteries.

-Road Flares
-flashlight
-Leatherman tool
-Ratchet/Socket set
-Military folding shovel (E-Tool)
-Jumper cables
-Blanket
-Shackle mount insert for towing hitch
-3/4" D-ring shackles
-20 foot recovery strap
-30 foot towing chain with hooks
-wheel chock block

If I'm headed somewhere in really bad weather or an isolated offroad place I might add:

-Hi-Lift jack
-Jump Start power pack
-Cordless impact gun
-Axe or chain saw
-5 Gallon fuel can

I have the 3rd row which I normally keep folded down. There is a nice little space where the foot area of that row is that you can stash a lot of stuff in. Though I have thought about removing those seats completely and just building some type of floor locker that would sit flush with the floor of the rear cargo area and allow me much more storage.

not much

Explorertrunk2_zpsc6b2740f.jpg

Tools, flares, chemlights, spotlight, machete, rope, bowsaw, jumper cables, paramedics box, radios, jackets, gloves, blanket. That's the basics for solo travel.

so far I've got a few tow straps, jumper cables, 2 road triangles, full tool box with wrenches sockets (3/8-1/2 drive) pliers, dead blow hammers etc...,, 3/8 drive impact wrench (have onboard air), air chucks for tires, a few pneumatic connectors with extra hose. and of course my hand tools. (electrical)

4mil plastic sheet 10'x10', sometimes a tarp, Duct tape, 10 tpi hack saw, bleach, gloves, goggles, change of clothes.

Just the usual I suppose.

4mil plastic sheet 10'x10', sometimes a tarp, Duct tape, 10 tpi hack saw, bleach, gloves, goggles, change of clothes.

Couple cinder blocks too, right? baa haaaa!

Hey Dexter--how ya been? Sure do miss ya.

sooo...no one else carries this stuff? Odd. :D

I like to stash some protein bars, jugs of water and put the miscellaneous stuff in a couple milk crates as they are cheap and durable.

Will forget some things, but here is most if what I keep:

Water
Food
Gloves (Winter and working)
Hat
Elbow and knee pads
Extra serpentine belt, pulley, tensioner (old ones I pulled that would still work in a pinch)
Stock jack
Firearm(s) and ammunition, spare magazines and some parts
Folding chair
Blankets
Craftsman tool set (mostly ratchet set)
Multitool
Knife
Assorted tools in a tool box, wires, some electronics, tape, etc.
Paracord
Flashlights and batteries
Tow strap
Jumper cables
Medical kit
Tax stamp(s) and trust
Some spare bulbs
iPhone and Android charger
Flares
Lighter

Suggestions are welcome.

Going from a single cab Ranger to an Explorer has many benefits in the preparedness aspect. :)

I'd like to add a small electronic tire pump. They are cheap. We have one at work that has pumped up probably 40 tires and has yet to fail.

I cannot stress the importance of having blankets, water, and some food.

Out of the items I keep, the ones that have been used the most are jumper cables (for other vehicles of people I help), and bottled water.

Have the usual standard emergency stuff.

I notice that no one has a 5# Class ABC fire extinguisher.

Also notice that folks don't have a window hammer \ seat belt cutter for busting out your electric windows in case of a water hazard or wreck where your doors get jammed.

In south Louisiana we have lots of lakes, swamps, canals and ponds. Those things are a must.

I would hate to drown in my truck or burn like a marshmallow because I couldn't get the windows down.

Chris

Good call Shucker. I have the normal stuff in my emerg/bug out kit, but ALSO a First Alert Auto fire extinguisher mounted inside on my left rear wheel hump under the cargo shade. Maybe not the best place but it works for me. I also have a window shatter hammer that I keep in the driver's console. It's got the seat belt knife on the back side. A few years ago here in Dallas a woman drowned after driving into a fairly shallow duck pond (like a fountain pond in front of an apartment complex) and couldn't get out. Panicked most likely but a shatter hammer would have helped.
I also have a few of these babies.. pretty cool, flashes a bunch of different patterns.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/29764686?...39465392&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78652632032&veh=sem

Back