Looking for suggestions for a Bluetooth head unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for suggestions for a Bluetooth head unit

explorer21230

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
I have an 08 xlt with the standard audio package ( no factory sub). I want to swap the head unit for something that has Bluetooth built in, I would also like to find something that has the mic built into the unit rather than running cable and mounting it somewhere. Any suggestions for decent units? I was thinking about the Kenwood DPX500BT but I’m not sure yet. Also if you have any pics that would be awesome too so I can get an idea of how it might look after it’s installed. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you want a double din touchscreen or a single din?

Most Pioneer headunits are great for the price.
What's your budget?

I would like a double din so that I don't have to make mods to my dash. My budget is around $200 give or take. I can't seem to find any pics of any aftermarket installs either.. any suggestions?

I have a pioneer double din touch screen DVD from crutchfield for 220. It's the 1500 model. Donno about Bluetooth but everything else works great. I'd stay away from Kenwood

Jvc kw-av61bt are real nice for the price. I installed one a year ago in my Buick and just ordered another for my Explorer.
The Bluetooth mic is wired but it's worth running the wire for best results.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWAV61/JVC-KW-AV61.html?tp=20217

Have not installed in my Explorer yet but this is what it looks like in my Buick.

http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/29020-New-aftermarket-Stereo-finallyinstalled-in-04

Don't pay attention on final price. Installation in that car was complicated and very expensive in addition to paying more for the unit its self.
The Explorer's stereos are straight forward and the head unit much cheaper now.

I had the Jvc kw-av61bt as mentioned above in my F250, great head unit. Bluetooth worked better than any aftermarket radio I have used in quite awhile. Great sound, Ipod control, set up for Reverse camera, and my favorite part.....you can make the screen go black for night driving, so you aren't blinded by the screen.

I have a Pioneer appradio2 bluetooth runs and syncs with Apple iphone and ipod
Swapping it out for the appradio3 as I have an android phone.
I'll let the app2 go for $200 with the iphone connectors if you are intrested,
One of the things I like about this radio (besixes the awesome sound) it doesn't have the annoying colored lightson it..

Finally installed the JVC here's what it looks like.
8998156e12f7fd73c97e057409374819.jpg

a8499a8338982818eea3c4d4774bdcd1.jpg

Hmm, that actually looks really good.

2007 ford ranger

I have a 2007 ford ranger sport and would like to put a 2 din stero in place of the oem radio. I have looked at several but do not know exactly what I need to put in. Does any body know the dimensions of the oem radio in mm's? Height, width and depth.....what harnesses do I need to aquifer to install and also any mods that need to be made? Does anybody know where I can find a wiring schematic for the stero system on line that I can downloadable? Does this model have an external amp to the system somewhere? Thanks

I have an 08 xlt with the standard audio package ( no factory sub). I want to swap the head unit for something that has Bluetooth built in, I would also like to find something that has the mic built into the unit rather than running cable and mounting it somewhere. Any suggestions for decent units? I was thinking about the Kenwood DPX500BT but I’m not sure yet. Also if you have any pics that would be awesome too so I can get an idea of how it might look after it’s installed. Thanks

I have that exact unit. Pic below. But it does not have the mic built into the unit. I have it run up to the driver side visor. Works great, sounds great. I kept the factory amp and replaced the sub and door speaks. Sub is Excelon KFCXW800F and doors are Pioneer TSG6844R's. The Kenwood H/U itself was $199.

Attachments

• StereoPic.jpg
    StereoPic.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 246

Back