• Register Today It's free!

pcv valve lines

JustJoe

Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer 4.6
Good morning Im trying to figure out how to replace the pvc line that goes into the crank on a 2000 Explorer 4.0 v6 SOHC Any ideas would be very appreciated and please keep in mind I am doing this in my driveway. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remove upper intake manifold

You may have to remove the upper intake manifold to gain access to the crankcase breather port. There's not much room with the manifold in place.
BreatherSpace.jpg

breather.jpg

Sometimes the neck of the breather port is broken requiring replacement of the breather. If you take the time to remove the upper intake manifold you should consider replacing the breather. After 160K miles I replaced mine after cutting it open.
BreatherOld1.jpg

BreatherOld2.jpg

Thanks Guess I got some work to do now

Ok..Ive got it apart...how do I remove the breather box? Doesnt seem to want to budge. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

flat spring clip

Look at the second photo in post 2. The rusty thing on top is a flat spring clip. It has to be pushed aft to release the breather box. You may be able to wedge a flat blade screwdriver between the clip and the plastic ridge to get it started aft.

I wish I knew how to remove that crankcase breather. It just seems to wiggle. I need to swap one from one motor to another.

pry clip aft

Pry on the clip to move it far enough aft to remove.
breatherRmv.jpg

Then lift the breather up and out. I think there is a O ring that seals the port on the bottom of the breather to the opening in the block. I think I used a small crow bar to lift it.

Well the first try ended with me busting the breather off. It seems to wiggle around a little but it doesn't seem like it wants to come out. Hmm...

Hey with 15 year old plastics things tend to break! I've got one more chance lol. Still have one from my original engine to try to salvage. I'll try to be more careful with it lol.

Yes clip was off and intake manifold too.

Back